Tonights Special: Cypress Noob Salad
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonights Special: Cypress Noob Salad

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1

Tonights Special: Cypress Noob Salad

So went for a little drive in the old car tonight and decided to take a spin up Cypress.
    Just as I pull in to the look out two bikes go by at about the speed limit and moments later I hear the sound of a bike crashing.
    So before I could even park I just turn right back out of the viewpoint and go around to see if anyone is injured.
    As I get around to the scene the guys is up walking and the bike is stuffed into the concrete guard,I asked if he was ok and he replied that he was but I got out to make sure.
    His friend came back down the hill to help so realizing my car was in a dangerous place I figured I would get out of there and go park it.
    Another guy with a Porsche had stopped and I think he called 911.

So I park and the guy with the Porsche shows up and we start talking and he tells me how his kid and his friend wiped out their gsxr 1000's here and lost a bunch of skin and how they had no gear on.

So a few minutes go by and few bikes start showing up and we all start talking about how this guy crashed.
    The more I listened to these kids on their 600's the more I realized they had no fucking clue what they were doing.
    When I mentioned tar snakes in the corner the kid on the r6 says "oh is that what you call those black things?"
    When I mentioned track days they had no idea and thought they needed racing licenses.
    It was like listening to guys who had never ridden before and someone had lent them a bike and they were still trying to figure out how it worked.
    I'm not even sure they new what they were riding other than the fact it said Yamaha or Honda on it.
    As I watched more and more 600's would go by and not any of them with full gear just jeans and running shoes.

I am not posting this to make fun of these guys but to maybe bring to attention that there are a lot of kids out there right now that have no idea wtf they are doing and could use all the help they can get.
    I wanted to talk to these kids more and try to give them some ideas of things to look at like twist of the wrist and suggest doing track days (which I did try to explain) but I kinda got that feeling they didn't really think I knew shit because I was in my car.
    Ah to be 23 and know everything again.
    The real problem as I see it is there are noobs crashing all over the place and this makes us all look bad.
    So give back and help a noob as in the end it helps us all.
    Infidels Rule!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    Sometimes it's hard to find the right balance between "by the way have you considered..." and "are you seriously batshit crazy?!", but hey, you do what you can.

Registered User Array swampdonkey25's Avatar
    Bike
    92 gsxr750w/ 06 honda 919
    let darwin sort them out, he's old hat at it

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1
    The guy that crashed said he lost his front end. I felt bad for the guy maybe it was gravel, maybe tar snake maybe??? who knows?
    I offered to tell the cops they were not speeding but I think the cop just ran over gave him a ticket and took off.
    Last edited by XdtesZombie; 08-12-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    Infidels Rule!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    06' GSX750R
    Another guy with a Porsche had stopped and I think he called 911

No no.....that's the model of his car.........

Bike
    Ninja 250r
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    I am not posting this to make fun of these guy
    Of course you're not (not sarcasm).

As a new rider, I'm really glad I stumbled on BCSB. Too be honest, I knew there would be some sort of forum for local riders so I Googled that before looking into a bike.

Did you tell them about BCSB? There's a lot of good info on here.
    rebecca black > bcaa

Registered User Array
    Bike
    sportbike
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    I wanted to talk to these kids more and try to give them some ideas of things to look at like twist of the wrist
    I agree, now that Twist of the Wrist came out on DVD (and is available online) it should probably be one of the first things anyone interested in sportbike riding learns from

Has no use for liars! Array suzi-bug's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 Triumph Street Triple 675
    I went up that road just last week with another female rider, my 2nd time and her 1st time. Now in my car I have made it to "the lodge from the highway" in 9 minutes when I used to work up there. On my bike and with someone that's never ridden it before and is a new rider, we rode to what we felt was comfortable. We took it easy and paced ourselves riding mostly within the posted speed limit give or take 10-20 kms. No sooner had we passed the "parks yard" at the base and rounded the first bend when low and behold we see flashing lights inside a mini van, which is behind a tow truck with a bike hanging precariously off the back of it. We think it was a guy and a girl being impounded obviously, they were in a 60 zone so they must've been going 100 kms+, which even for me is insane when your not even past the look out point.
    All in all we had a great time at a great pace, avoided the police, had a good laugh at their expense, while practicing ATGATT! There is always going to be some one somewhere giving somebody a bad name, all we can do is keep preaching the good word about the sport!
    I had to stop myself tonight as I saw a guy on a sportbike, obviously picking up a girl on a date, he had brought a helmet for her but she was wearing a flowing above the knee skirt and a tank top type dress, with sandles. I had to stop, all i could muster to say as he looked rather annoyed,was "please go home and put some pants and some proper shoes on! I really wish I had a pair of pants in my car to give her before she got on that bike.....but really what can you do? We've all watched you tube, read the posts, the new articles, they'll either learn the easy way or the hard way, its all about the choices you make in life! Falling off a skateboard or bailing on a street luge (which I have suffered both) is bad enough with barely any gear on...never mind while traveling at 120 kms an hour on a 400 lb plus machine. Until one gets hurt or knows someone that is injured unfortunately that is when people start to listen and pay attention.
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. - Marilyn Monroe

Registered User Array eightball's Avatar
    Bike
    -
    I'm a lurker on this forum for the last 5 years since I started riding. In my 6 years of riding, I've started to realize that less and less people are taking riding courses to get their license. I don't know if it is because of ego issue or it's a hassle, but I know for sure it's not a monetary issue since everyone that don't take a course seems to buy a 600cc, or even a litre bike right off the bat.

I find that riding courses really help see the sport in a completely different level, learn to respect the machine, and your life. I personally feel completely naked without my gears, and absolutely will not put my knees down on Cypress. Tar snakes, gravel, uneven road just makes it an accident-prone location. Gears, road condition, temperature, tire warmth, and so much more factors involved with riding are things that new riders cannot grasp without taking a riding course.

I really think there needs to be either a mandatory riding course prior to licensing to lower the amount of idiots jumping on sport bike and riding off a cliff with no gears, leaving his skin all over the asphalt.
    Maybe a graduated program that places a 250cc limit for new riders for the first year, keep the inexperienced from hurting themselves.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    WTF is "gears" you feel naked without?

Your bike has 6 gears.

You are not wearing gears. You are wearing gear.

Anyhow, I always have a bit of a bizzaro world experience when I meet people on bikes who are in jeans and sneakers. It's
    not like they have riding gear at home they chose not to use, they actually don't own any.

For many of these people it comes down to finances, I don't care what you say. They scrape together just enough money
    for a bike ... and they do not have a budget for clothing. It ends up on the "I'll get it later" plan, which often becomes the
    never ever plan.
    Last edited by bandito; 08-13-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    This demographic has always been, and probabaly always will be part of our sport. So I get pulled over for doing 50 over, instantly whip off my helmet as cop walks up to show the balding head, deep crevaces on my face ...........old guy. Short story, no excessive.. We have a good chat, and then he suggests I get some "proper gear".

I (like everyone of you have done) was just running a short errand, 10 minute ride.
    Dainese jacket
    Shoei X-12 Helemet
    Full gaunlet carbon fiber Alpine stars gloves
    Dainese boots
    .....................and a pair of shift motorcycle jeans.

$2500 in gear, and I get a "get some proper gear" lecture from the cop because of the jeans. I thought that was kind of weird, but also kind of cool.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Ninja 250r
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    WTF is "gears" you feel naked without?

Your bike has 6 gears.
    Oh, shut up lol

But I agree with eightball. I think going through a riding school should be mandatory.

It's definitely going to expose the consequences of riding unsafe whether it's their riding habits or knowing what gear to wear.

As of financial issues, most of us have them. I'm a student and sacrificed some "hang out time" to save up for my gear. It's part of the bike. Sure, it took me a few months of riding without proper jeans, but everything else I bought along with the bike.

It's like the saying, "if you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to eat out."

If you can't afford the gear, then you can't afford the bike.

It's a shame when your own friends that ride doesn't have proper gear. I know a couple of people, but I don't really ride with them because they were sweat pants and sneakers. They have a riding jacket, but they wear hoody sometimes.

Bleh, it is what it is though. I know I'm a new rider, but I have opened my eyes and I gotta agree with CDG. "This demographic has always been, and probabaly always will be part of our sport."

Anyways, off to Bruce Market. Ride safe, fuckers.
    rebecca black > bcaa

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    This demographic has always been, and probabaly always will be part of our sport. So I get pulled over for doing 50 over, instantly whip off my helmet as cop walks up to show the balding head, deep crevaces on my face ...........old guy. Short story, no excessive.. We have a good chat, and then he suggests I get some "proper gear".

I (like everyone of you have done) was just running a short errand, 10 minute ride.
    Dainese jacket
    Shoei X-12 Helemet
    Dainese boots

$2500 in gear, and I get a "get some proper gear" lecture from the cop because of the jeans. I thought that was kind of weird, but also kind of cool.
    Hooligan !!

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR 600rr

Dainese jacket
    Shoei X-12 Helemet
    Dainese boots

Was that in first gear?

Registered User Array
    Bike

Dainese jacket
    Shoei X-12 Helemet
    Dainese boots

SQUID !!

We have the same shit over here, kids bankrupt buying a bike and get's his gear at the pawn shop. FFS. I got a loan and bought all new gear for me and the woman, with what was left we bought a bike (1999).
    I am RARE, squids are not.