Need a new helmet, track duty

Thread: Need a new helmet, track duty

Eyes set on the rubbarb Array kelaog's Avatar
    Bike
    Bike hiatus

Need a new helmet, track duty

Track duty implies I don't give a crap about the bling! I care about safety. I don't even care if the visor pops up. Probably better it doesn't. My last ECE approved Icon shattered into pieces when I hit the deck. Left me with a nasty concussion.

I've heard the "all helmets are the same material" but cars are all made out of metal, plastic, and rubber too. No one who drives a cavalier states its as good as a 5 series BMW.

I know where I can get Bell helmets but I mostly see people wearing the Shoei or Arai helmets. What would you buy if your head was valuable.

Shoei's X11 looks to me like it has a few fancy features above the rf1100 but doesn't offer any added protection.

Arai I know nothing about other than having a very good reputation and a high price tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Wait for the bike show and buy a good quality Shoei for $100...or less. They had weird colors and plain white last year for cheap...I own more than 20 helmets, all are good to top of the line models. I am sure any will do the job if I should fall. I like the lightweight Carbon fiber for my off road lids, The Shoei and HJC are the 2 main street lids I use. I had a polycarbonate that can bounce like a basketball...

If its for track side what about those full face flip ups like BMW riders use?? Between races you can lift the front up to drink and cool off???
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Bike
    IRSU magnet
    I recommend looking for a helmet with a fibreglass (or carbon fibre) shell that will offer you the most value for the money. Pretty much all budget helmets are polycarbonate. Truth be told, a racer may need to buy as many as five helmets per season so price does become a factor. A helmet budget of up to $5000 isn't really realistic for the average guy.

I have no idea what your head shape is, but I would recommend looking at the scorpion exo 750 ($250-ish online) or if you want to stay with icon the carbon lifeform ($500+ online) looks like a decent helmet. If your previous icon helmet was a domain2 then the exo750 should fit you. No idea about the carbon lifeform.

good luck
    No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Bike
    '07 Ducati Monster S4RS
    I just picked up a Shoei x-12 and am quite happy with it. Personally I wouldn't consider anything but the x11/12, arai corsair v, bell star or a suomy extreme/excel

Let the good times roll Array Good Karma's Avatar
    Bike
    GSXR 1000
    In the past I had a couple of the X11's and loved them. They are Snell 2005 and have been replaced by the X12 but it seems most places still have some kicking around and occasionally you see them with a graphic for U$300 online.

Currently I have a couple of the Arai RXQ and I find it to be a comfortable, well ventilated and well built helmet. Can be had in plain colours in the US for $450 which is pretty good imo. Two other notable things about it are that it is Snell 2010 and that all the padding is removable so you can wash the liner.

Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Thank you for the well thought out response about the material of the shell.

I want to stay away from icon and go towards premium helmets.

Price isn't really a factor. I'm not lookin for a bargain. Just looking for a good
    Lid.

From the sounds of it I'm looking for an x11,x12 arai rxq or bell star.

I'll pop by mspeed and try on one for size.

As for shape I foundthe shoei rf1100 to fit nicely.Size large usually does the trick.

Hjc is too round for my head. I find it fits too and isn't tight in the right areas.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    I recommend looking for a helmet with a fibreglass (or carbon fibre) shell that will offer you the most value for the money. Pretty much all budget helmets are polycarbonate. Truth be told, a racer may need to buy as many as five helmets per season so price does become a factor. A helmet budget of up to $5000 isn't really realistic for the average guy.

I have no idea what your head shape is, but I would recommend looking at the scorpion exo 750 ($250-ish online) or if you want to stay with icon the carbon lifeform ($500+ online) looks like a decent helmet. If your previous icon helmet was a domain2 then the exo750 should fit you. No idea about the carbon lifeform.

good luck
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Give Skagit Powersports a shout to see what they have: http://www.skagitpowersports.com/

We'll be driving right by them on the way to Cali next week. Although they probably won't be open at that hour... I figure we'll be passing through 6-6:30am.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    I ride a size large on the street, but squeeze into a size M for the track. It should almost give you a headache. Consider 1 size smaller on the track. It will pack out in a few sessions and be better. Seriously. RF1100 should be able to be had for $500 and will last a good 3 years of duty without crashes. It's a fiberglass shell.
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    I ride a size large on the street, but squeeze into a size M for the track. It should almost give you a headache. Consider 1 size smaller on the track. It will pack out in a few sessions and be better. Seriously. RF1100 should be able to be had for $500 and will last a good 3 years of duty without crashes. It's a fiberglass shell.

I wish I could like a post. That makes perfect sense.