BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

catalytic converter - to drill or not to drill-

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  v-king 
#1 ·
Im about to install a vance&hines slip-on and am debating drilling out the catalytic converter.
-Are there any regulations or emission controls here in the lower mainland for bikes?
-Any downsides to getting rid off the cat?
-Will the sound of the exhaust be different with the cat out or in?

Thanks

#4 ·
.I watched some youtube videos where they drilled a few holes in the cat and chiseled the rest out, it looked pretty easy....... however, I chose to leave it in there for now. I already lost the one in the stock pipe. Man this new can looks nice, its getting kinda late here but I'd love to hear !!!Roar!!!.

#5 ·
it is illegal to tamper with any anti polution device (motorcycle catalytic converters included) on any motor vehicle. the donut eaters haven't been checking for this yet because to visually check for a tampered cat on a bike is a lot harder to do than on a car. last time i did my aircare recertification coarse the instructor was saying air care is coming for motorcycles. that being said i wouldn't destroy the cat just remove it and put it away in case you need it again and put a complete system on it

#6 ·
They've been threatening the aircare for bikes since aircare started. Not a frigging chance it's going to happen. Imagine building bike rolling roads and training all the service staff at aircare to run bikes on them, lol. Compared to cars, the miniscule # of bikes on the road and the short riding season makes this initiative not very cost effective...cuz after all, like any government plan lately, it's about making money not making life better.

Still, don't needlessy trash the cat. Shelve it and stick it back to stock when you resell. You'll get a better price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.