Any experience with this bike? cbx550f

Thread: Any experience with this bike? cbx550f

Registered User Array
    Bike
    just starting out (and looking)

Any experience with this bike? cbx550f

Hi All,

Though my primary hobby has been competing in street & formula cars I've decided to branch into riding as well (call it love for all things transportation I guess).
    Will be taking a course soon and am planning to get into it slowly.

I've always been into slightly more rare vehicles and came across this bike (link bellow) whilst randomly wandering craigslist.

Does anyone have experience with these?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/2559042781.html

I went and looked at it in person and was pleasantly surprised that it was indeed in quite good shape for it's age. Fit me well and I could put both feet down flat which is a big + (I'm 5'7" with relatively short legs). My main concern is parts (shrouded disk brakes??) and tech help. I don't mind tinkering as it won't be a daily ride but then again I'm not looking for a major project either!

TIA for your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    There not bad , that one looks in good shape . Parts are still available for it

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    For a first bike I'd get something more recent so you can focus on riding it and not sourcing parts. Bikes like this make great Starbucks cruisers, but I wouldn't get one as the 'main' bike.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    I know nothing about this bike, but here's a bit of reading, for interest:

http://www.halltech.com.au/CBX/CBX.html
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    If you know how to work on cars, then I'd even go so far as to say that a broken down POS is an awesome place to start your moto career.

I did, and I loved it.... kinda.

Becareful though, once you start working on bikes... you'll notice your swearing increase when you work on cars. Why? Because you can do anything on a bike in a third the time it takes on a car.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    just starting out (and looking)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaganD View Post

Becareful though, once you start working on bikes... you'll notice your swearing increase when you work on cars. Why? Because you can do anything on a bike in a third the time it takes on a car.
    Especially when my car is mid-engined no doubt!

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaganD View Post
    If you know how to work on cars, then I'd even go so far as to say that a broken down POS is an awesome place to start your moto career.

I did, and I loved it.... kinda.

you and your small asian hands. try working on my monstrocity with the ruskie sausage fingers.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    I had one. They had a real nice motor that made great power, and a funky brake system that worked,but was complex. That looks like a good one!
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    I may be wrong but did this motor not also have hydraulic valve adjustment similar to the Nighthawk750S? If yes, clean oil in important.

If it is as the owner says, this looks like a great bike to start with. Make sure you clean up the brake discs before riding, though. I'd also replace the clutch plates - easy to do with simple hand tools (pliers, big screwdriver, and a hammer. Yes, I'm kidding.)

Good luck!

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Apparently the internal disc brakes are a bear to work on. Apart from that, usual Honda Fare - should be just fine.
    Has rarity value, and IMHO quite a good looking bike. If you pay that much for it tho' you may have trouble getting a return when you come to sell again. I don't think it'll ever be a classic.
    But opinions are, as they say, like assholes.
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]