Who Imports Bikes from US - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who Imports Bikes from US

Registered User ssblade is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    You're a therapist too?

a hole in your head would really help open up your mind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade View Post
    business is business, maybe i should have stated that we sell units at an average profit(after all rebates and special offers included) of around $500. that's not much when you consider paying interest on floor models and keeping the lights on. we try our best to get our units out there and it works, i can think of many units that we sell under actual cost just to get them out the door. if i worked at an actual stealership my attitude could be taken as arrogant but when we're selling machines just to get the brands out there and not making much on them, that's when the US thing gets old. apply this behaviour of cross border shopping to the business/industry that you're employed in and then come back and tell me to fuck off when you no longer have a pay check.
    Yes, business is business. I work in the retail glass industry in Abbotsford. For atleast 5 yrs we've been supplying/delivering custom size mirrors to a contractor in Bellingham. As well, we import new residential windows from a manufacturer in Tacoma, even though there are window makers in Abbotsford, Aldergrove, Burnaby, etc. Why?? The windows are better,,,and cheaper, like 30%.

In your theory of 'proper' business, we should be curtailing this, restrict our business area to NOT negatively intrude upon a hard working competitor. In fact, maybe we should avoid Aldergrove west, and Chilliwack so as not to damage the "business balance".

So,,,,which shop do you own???

Steve
    Last edited by Steve G.; 03-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Yes, business is business. I work in the retail glass industry in Abbotsford. For atleast 5 yrs we've been supplying/delivering custom size mirrors to a contractor in Bellingham. As well, we import new residential windows from a manufacturer in Tacoma, even though there are window makers in Abbotsford, Aldergrove, Burnaby, etc. Why?? The windows are better,,,and cheaper, like 30%.

In your theory of 'proper' business, we should be curtailing this, restrict our business area to NOT negatively intrude upon a hard working competitor. In fact, maybe we should avoid Aldergrove west, and Chilliwack so as not to damage the "business balance".

So,,,,which shop do you own???

Steve

i don't. you'd have to be fucking batshit crazy to own a shop with all the cross border shopping going on these days....

i don't. you'd have to be fucking batshit crazy to own a shop with all the cross border shopping going on these days....
    Oh, so you're just an idiot who knows it all. Got it.

Bike
    Oh, so you're just an idiot who knows it all. Got it.

and your a lippy fag, so what?

Itching for a banning aren't you?

Bike
    Itching for a banning aren't you?
    how's about you put a bag over your head, pull out that angry inch, and do us all a favour a la hutchence style?

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    In before the lock.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Orange Squid darwin604 is on a distinguished road darwin604's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 899 Panigale
    a hole in your head would really help open up your mind.
    Uttering threats on the forums - classy, and illegal. If it's any reflection on your way of doing business you make Murray at Modern look good. Get off the forums you ignorant fuck.

Why the hell WOULDN'T someone buy something in the US if they can save 5+ grand on it. Clearly not to support assholes like you; let's see you make up that price difference in service savings and then come and argue. If not, go fuck yourself and take your moot argument with you. I'm all for supporting local if they're competitive (Bayside and Holeshot have both hit it out of the park in the gear/accessories department for me). Unfortunately when it comes to buying a new / very pricey bike (if I ever do that) it's across the border for me. If either of my Canadian bought bikes ever break down in Kelowna I'm getting it towed to the next closest town - eat shit pal.
    2014 899 Panigale
    2008 DRZ-400 SM
    2006 GSX-R 750 (crashed - naked Frankenstein rebuild in progress)

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    I've often wondered what would happen if I was to buy a used bike in Canada, took it to my nearest dealer wanting to spend money for a tune-up, only to find it originated in the USA. Then to be told that even though I wanted to spend money there, I was now considered a second class customer because of the machines' former status. I find the whole thing totally bizzarre that a business would find my money less 'acceptable' than anothers, for any reason. If my business did this, we'd be run out of town within 6 months.

I remember back when our Canadian $ was in the .63 - .75 cent region, at least 30%of local shops currently operating in Metro Vancouver were doing big business buying up used bikes here and shipping them to the states, and Japan. They were in fact shipping off potential business for their service and accessory divisions. Now, when I hear moaning about "horribly unpatriotic Canadian bike buyers" looking beyond borders to buy, all I see is a business not adapting to new fiscal reality, besides being hypocrites. Richmond Motorsports sold tons of bikes out of our province, now they're gone. Tell me there's no parallel.

We all know about the old John Valk BMW/Ducati who was charging 100% more on labour if the bike was not sold new in Canada, as well as putting their service on a 'standbye' system of booking in. I personally know 8 buddies with BMW's, and all 8 still refuse to go near that shop even though John Valk is long gone and even a new name. This kind of attitude that his shop had simply made me laugh,,,,that damage is long lasting!!!

Steve

awful human bottomfeeder is on a distinguished road bottomfeeder's Avatar
    Bike
    IRSU magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I've often wondered what would happen if I was to buy a used bike in Canada, took it to my nearest dealer wanting to spend money for a tune-up, only to find it originated in the USA.
    The current owners' vehicle registration will say "foreign import" on the right column about 3/4 of the way down. You would be able to see this before you signed the transfer papers and back out if you wanted to.
    No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Hasn't ssblade been banned yet?

Canucks 201...uh...2013? TripleTime is on a distinguished road TripleTime's Avatar
    Bike
    02 Triumph Sprint RS v2.1, 03 CRF230F, 1950 Vincent
    I dunno here. ssblades business (or more specifically, where he works) has made a choice to push any known US 'new' purchased bikes to the back of the line service-wise. Fair enough. Do what you will.

The dealers up here are put in the shitty spot by the mfg's, with their seemingly random Canadian pricing. You can't fault buyers for going state side to purchase. You can't blame the dealers for feeling a bit slighted, having given their time to people who just purchase stateside.

But at the end of the day, the reality is that the bikes are cheaper down south. The dealer has to adapt (read: push back against the manufacturers) or go under. It would seem to me to turn service work away out of spite is a bit counter-productive to business survival.

But that's just me. If the rest of you wish to continue with the mud-slinging, most of the Mods are probably still pissed from the Daytona party, so you probably got another few hours before this shit is shut down.

And the last thing I'll say is that when the dollar was so far off the other way, find me a business in Canada that wasn't trying to sell state-side. Good for the goose, good for the gander. Adapt until it changes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    what drivel did i post?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    I dunno here. ssblades business (or more specifically, where he works) has made a choice to push any known US 'new' purchased bikes to the back of the line service-wise. Fair enough. Do what you will.

The dealers up here are put in the shitty spot by the mfg's, with their seemingly random Canadian pricing. You can't fault buyers for going state side to purchase. You can't blame the dealers for feeling a bit slighted, having given their time to people who just purchase stateside.

But at the end of the day, the reality is that the bikes are cheaper down south. The dealer has to adapt (read: push back against the manufacturers) or go under. It would seem to me to turn service work away out of spite is a bit counter-productive to business survival.

But that's just me. If the rest of you wish to continue with the mud-slinging, most of the Mods are probably still pissed from the Daytona party, so you probably got another few hours before this shit is shut down.

And the last thing I'll say is that when the dollar was so far off the other way, find me a business in Canada that wasn't trying to sell state-side. Good for the goose, good for the gander. Adapt until it changes again.
    Any smart business owner would be stupid to turn down business from a paying customer. All you're doing is giving them an excuse to go somewhere else (your competition.) Especially in an industry that's hurting.

Ride Solo GSP is on a distinguished road GSP's Avatar
    Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Yep. Some dealers were selling units hand-over-fist down south when there was money to be made.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

+ Reply to Thread