Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops targeting distracted drivers

This space for rent Array Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6

Cops targeting distracted drivers

http://www.theprovince.com/mobile/ip...789/story.html

Great news! Somebody, please paste content. Thx
    Last edited by Stiffler's Mom; 09-22-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    - Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    YAY!
    ...I assume violators will be met with mandatory impound, license suspension, and possible civil forfeiture, right? RIGHT??
    And if not... WHY NOT?
    I mean, if excessive speeding serves any example, simple fines just don't hit 'em where it hurts, RIGHT???

Confiscate their phones too, while you're at it!
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1
    Ya tell that to the guy in the 18 wheeler with an excavator on the trailer that passed me while on his phone on the #1 yesterday.
    Ya I like the phone confiscation idea,I think that would hurt some people more than loosing their car.
    Infidels Rule!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    CDG for the win! I guess that 10 second clip from teh 10 minute diatribe I gave to Global News made all the difference haha
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    "Under the law, a driver can’t use a hand-held electronic communication device, nor send or receive text messages or electronic email on any type of device"

That seems a bit strangely worded, no? According to the law, no one can send me a text or email to my Blackberry while I'm driving? How the hell do I control that? hahaha

Bike
    '89 CB-1, '64 CT200, '08 CBR125R, '82 XR100, +5 project bikes...
    Heh, credit where credit is due....

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lars View Post
    "Under the law, a driver can’t use a hand-held electronic communication device, nor send or receive text messages or electronic email on any type of device"

That seems a bit strangely worded, no? According to the law, no one can send me a text or email to my Blackberry while I'm driving? How the hell do I control that? hahaha
    power button off..... simple, but not easy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    '89 CB-1, '64 CT200, '08 CBR125R, '82 XR100, +5 project bikes...

That seems a bit strangely worded, no? According to the Province, no one can send me a text or email to my Blackberry while I'm driving? How the hell do I control that? hahaha
    Fixed that for ya.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!

I think by *receive*, they mean the act of physically receiving it, ie, "using your device".
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle
    I'm finding it difficult to read this thread while I'm driving.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Fuh-coffee we will go Array carbonfibrerocket's Avatar
    Bike
    08 GSX1300BK, 03 XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoodles View Post
    I'm finding it difficult to read this thread while I'm driving.
    Don't worry, after a while you get the hang of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Big shitty balls of shit, that's a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    So worksafe is jumping in because maybe they are finding stats on contractor trucks / vans, with drivers holding a phone next to their ear?

Anyone driving a worktruck seems to think that the cellphone ban doesnt' apply to them because they are in a work truck driving to some work site or picking up timmy's.
    Last edited by htdub; 09-22-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
    http://www.theprovince.com/mobile/ip...789/story.html

Great news! Somebody, please paste content. Thx
    A campaign has been launched to highlight the seriousness of drivers not paying attention on the roads.

The province, local police, ICBC and WorkSafe B.C. on Thursday announced they were partnering to warn people of the havoc distracted drivers cause every day on roads around B.C.

Solicitor-General Shirley Bond said it is time for businesses to set an example and warn their employees not to be using cellphones or other electronic devices while driving on company time.

Bond said they are targeting people who do things other than drive when behind the wheel.

“As government, we have established aggressive legislation and police have done a good job of enforcement, but really this is about your friends, family and colleagues, so set an example,” said Bond.

“We know these deaths and injuries are preventable. Let voice-mail do its job or pull over. Safe driving requires your full attention.”

WorkSafe B.C.’s Diana Miles adds: “Workers and employers in B.C. need to take steps to eliminate any risks or distractions and consider that when you’re behind the wheel, driving is your only job,” she said.

ICBC’s Fiona Temple said the insurer has plenty of evidence that distracted driving is the cause of tremendous carnage on the roads.

“We need to shift our attitudes toward distracted driving,” she said. “We can all do our part to help create a culture where friends, families and colleagues don’t expect you to answer the phone while driving.”

From crash statistics in the years 2005 to 2009, about a quarter of all crashes in B.C. were distracted-driver related. That works out to 98 fatalities because of driver distraction.

The B.C. government passed legislation to ban the use of personal electronic devices on Jan. 1, 2010.

Under the law, a driver can’t use a hand-held electronic communication device, nor send or receive text messages or electronic email on any type of device.

jcolebourn@theprovince.com
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    YAY!
    ...I assume violators will be met with mandatory impound, license suspension, and possible civil forfeiture, right? RIGHT??
    And if not... WHY NOT?
    I mean, if excessive speeding serves any example, simple fines just don't hit 'em where it hurts, RIGHT???

Confiscate their phones too, while you're at it!

Just one quick blast with a tazer each otta do the trick!

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by htdub View Post
    So worksafe is jumping in because maybe they are finding stats on contractor trucks / vans, with drivers holding a phone next to their ear?.
    the universal adage "just follow the money"