2008 gsxr 600 overheating

Thread: 2008 gsxr 600 overheating

Registered User Array lucifers_angels's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600

2008 gsxr 600 overheating

Hey guys I ride a 2008 GSXR 600, recently I did a coolant flush and changed the air filter. The last 3 or 4 times I've been out riding I've noticed the bike is starting to overheat. Never had the problem before the coolant flush. When riding it's around 180-190 but if I stop at a red light it jumps up pretty quick to 230 and even higher. I noticed today in Mission so I stopped and then coolant started to overflow. Not sure if it's really getting that hot because I can't really feel it on my right leg if it was 250+ it should be burning my leg but I can't feel it. I think the fan is on it's hard to hear but when I stop and take my lid off it is always going. I was at the point where I had to turn the bike off at stop lights on the way home. Any thoughts?
    CELTIC FC lifelong suporter... Green and white hoops for life
    Aftamarket errthang man! OOOOOWEEEEE! -Lethal Rog

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2014 899 Panigale
    The fan on my K9 600 comes on at 104 degrees. Is your bike from the US or something - you must be talking Fahrenheit.

If all they did was flush the coolant you might have a big air bubble somewhere. I'd take it back and get them to make sure they bled the system properly.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Yeah 230F aka 110C is a bit high...must be an air bubble! Must not have been "burped" fully!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    R6
    Damn thats really high. My bike usually likes to be around 80sh. Fans kick in around 110 I believe.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    I did the coolant flush myself so how can I go about getting the air bubble out. I drained it ran a bunch of distilled water through until it came out clean then filled it up with fresh coolant. Rocked it back and forth filled it to the top of the rad and filled the reserve up between the low and full line and even bled the air out of the bleeder bolt on the water pump... anything else I can do? Thanks a bunch guys

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    yes I am talking fahrenheit its from the U.S but bought here.

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifers_angels View Post
    I did the coolant flush myself so how can I go about getting the air bubble out. I drained it ran a bunch of distilled water through until it came out clean then filled it up with fresh coolant. Rocked it back and forth filled it to the top of the rad and filled the reserve up between the low and full line and even bled the air out of the bleeder bolt on the water pump... anything else I can do? Thanks a bunch guys
    After you filled it back up with coolant did you start it up and let it run for a few minutes with the rad cap off? That helps air pockets rise and escape and enables you to see if a further top-off is needed once those bubbles are released. Sorry, you may have done this and just not mentioned it, but it came to mind so thought I'd ask.
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomaFoo View Post
    After you filled it back up with coolant did you start it up and let it run for a few minutes with the rad cap off? That helps air pockets rise and escape and enables you to see if a further top-off is needed once those bubbles are released. Sorry, you may have done this and just not mentioned it, but it came to mind so thought I'd ask.
    Yea I did do this but once the bike gets hot the coolant starts to overflow out of the radiator.... I thought that was normal maybe not? I filled to the top and ran the bike it bubbled a little bit but then once it got to around 140 or 150 the coolant started to rise over the top.