Time certainly passes as it has been almost six years since I started riding a sport bike and I am still alive today. As some of the old timers on this site can testify to my antics on this forum and through all my posts you can follow my spiritual and physical growth of my motorcycling life (just search ralphael )
Recently I started cleaning out my hard drive and found this text that was intended for posting in 2007, however since my interest had waned over the years it never made it to the final posting. So before I delete it completely from my hard drive, I decided to post it up for posterity sake.
0. mid life crisis
1. signing up for a motorcycle course
2. meeting your classmates at the front door of the motorcycle school to realize that they all have the same fears as you do (as well as most being younger by half my age).
3. gearing up for the first time and peering out the helmet to see the world from a fish bowl
4. becoming a bad ass motorcycle rider as you sit on your first bike in the course and pushing the bike across the lot with your feet
5. taking the bike out into the real world and your focus is on the bike ahead of you and the voice in your head (from the one way communicator of the school leader).
6. posing at the rest stop on one of the school bike leaning casually on a sherpa (yeah I ride a motorcycle) with a bright orange jacket
7. passing your MST
8. failing your first road test
9. passing your next road test
10. getting your first bike
11. dropping your bike for the first time
12. getting your own gear, first helmet, first jacket, pants, boots
13. posting on BCSB a picture of your first bike and getting flamed for it
14. joining your first BCSB group ride to find that newbie friendly +10 above the speed limit meant their own speed limit + 10.
15. understanding what ride your own ride means when everyone leaves you at 140km/h while you struggle with 90
16. dropping your bike for the fourth time and kicking youself for notlearning the last 3 times
17. getting your mastercard/visa bill at the end of the month to realize that you have just exceeded your budget but you don't care...
18. getting your first leathers
19. getting your first brand new bike with 0km
20. showing off your new bike to have everyone telling you that you are crazy and you think they respect you but secretly they are all making bets on your next antic
21. getting your first speeding ticket and exagerating the speed that you were going in your story when you got nailed (going 400)
22. meeting someone else that is even a greater noob then you are.
23. leading a group ride to find that you are lost
24. leading a group ride to find that you lost all your riders
25. leaning into a corner
26. hanging your ass off the seat in a corner
27. 2up'ing someone
28. going squid to find that you feel like a noob on a bike again and all the fear come flooding back to you
29. the thrill of rain riding
30. getting jaded by the rain
31. first long distance ride
32. getting jaded by long distance rides
33. going 280 with insects encasing the helmet completely at the end of the stretch
34. getting caught for street racing
35. getting suspended for 3 months
36. rediscovering TV, books and the internet.
37. off suspension but jaded completely
38. caging it
39. retired from the MC community
40. posting my stages
If I miss something I'm sure someone that knew my history will add to this.