Damn those Mythbusters!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Damn those Mythbusters!

Better than LEGO. Array almost_barbie's Avatar
    Bike
    Pocket Rocket

Damn those Mythbusters!

Mythbusters: Motorcycles pollute more than cars do

So we have pretty much no hope of convincing anyone that we are being "environmentally friendly" in terms of emissions.

My new riding music is RAMMSTEIN.

i don't drag knee, i drag FOOT!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Looking
    Not fair, they must be taking Harley's into account!

Bike
    NA
    I was just about to post about it!

alternate link: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...les-video.html

Eyes set on the rubbarb Array kelaog's Avatar
    Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Considering most sport bikes pre 2006 didn't come with catalytic converters, and run in open loop mode. I'd say they pollute more than a car. So does my lawnmower... I still mow the lawn, and I still ride the bike. But I do not drive the bike every day, and I certainly do not ride the lawn mower to work

Statistics are easy to skew. My bike easily pollutes 10000x less than my honda civic does.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

Eschew obfuscation Array Mollygrubber's Avatar
    Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
    Bike
    2010 BMW F800GS
    Double the mpg, half the insurance, I rest my case.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    also less problems created by traffic jams.

cars can pollute less per unit of time, but they spend a heck of a lot more of those time units just sitting around doing nothing.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Naw, the busters used a Yamaha WR250r. Which is apparently pretty light, has a cat converter, is fuel injected and modern (2012).

So i put it out there... is there a more environmentally friendly motorbike?

Eschew obfuscation Array Mollygrubber's Avatar
    Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
    Bike
    2010 BMW F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaganD View Post
    Naw, the busters used a Yamaha WR250r. Which is apparently pretty light, has a cat converter, is fuel injected and modern (2012).

So i put it out there... is there a more environmentally friendly motorbike?
    Zero, Brammo Enertia, etc.

The technology is developing rapidly now, I bet electric bikes will be a viable (and attractive) alternative (for commuting) very soon.

I know, they don't make the cool "vroom vroom" sound.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    and the ride to harrison would take a lot longer... you know, with the whole having to spend hours charging them
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    K1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    also less problems created by traffic jams.

cars can pollute less per unit of time, but they spend a heck of a lot more of those time units just sitting around doing nothing.
    Unfortunately..... some of those nitrides from the F4i is several hundred percent (in some categories, several thousand percent) more than a fuel injected car. What are we missing? Recirculating exhaust gases? More restrictive catalytic converters?

Bike
    2015 KTM Duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaganD View Post
    Unfortunately..... some of those nitrides from the F4i is several hundred percent (in some categories, several thousand percent) more than a fuel injected car. What are we missing? Recirculating exhaust gases? More restrictive catalytic converters?
    damn it..that's my bike... at least its still a "high occupancy vehicle"

on the lighter note...there's cyclists to off-set any readings. did this study verify if its at idle speed? or travelling speed? if it's idle speed...maybe we can lobby to allow motorbikes to lane split during the riding season (cuz idling is not environmentally friendly)

Bike
    2008 ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by gc1226 View Post
    damn it..that's my bike... at least its still a "high occupancy vehicle"

on the lighter note...there's cyclists to off-set any readings. did this study verify if its at idle speed? or travelling speed? if it's idle speed...maybe we can lobby to allow motorbikes to lane split during the riding season (cuz idling is not environmentally friendly)
    I think they would rather find a way to tax motorcyclists more for the increased emmisions rather than allow lane splitting for the same reason.

Registered User Array 4wheelsLESS's Avatar
    Bike
    Only U see my ride
    A rounded approach that weighs, literally, provides a better picture. More emissions from bike but there has to be a total-cost of how much energy is used and how much weight is being transported around and how much emissions resulted from those machines for a comparable activity. Having a report that shows only emissions of 2wheels compared to 4wheels is too selective/narrowed and only provide opportunities for biasness.

Bike
    K1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelsLESS View Post
    A rounded approach that weighs, literally, provides a better picture. More emissions from bike but there has to be a total-cost of how much energy is used and how much weight is being transported around and how much emissions resulted from those machines for a comparable activity. Having a report that shows only emissions of 2wheels compared to 4wheels is too selective/narrowed and only provide opportunities for biasness.
    The point of the matter was "Are current modern motorcycles less polluting than 4 wheeled equivalents?" To which the answer was no. And probably due to a lot of emissions control equipment that cars have that bikes don't. As I mentioned, EGR, larger cat converters are some of the things motorcycles don't have.

Then something I assumed would be on any FI system turns out it isn't: The O2 sensor does not come with the WR250r North American version.
    http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1001-oxygen-sensor

Registered User Array 4wheelsLESS's Avatar
    Bike
    Only U see my ride
    Are you saying this report take into account of the weight of the car vs the weight of the bike?

If they did and compared the total weight of the car/bike and cargo then it is apple-apple or orange-orange study and might start driving my car more.