cant downshift

Thread: cant downshift

audiophile Array
    Bike
    na

cant downshift

i testing my bike, 1990 zx-6e. b4 i was having trouble shifting into neutral but now it's just impossible to shift to anything lower than 4th gear. i'm lucky that i was only 10 meters away from my place but still...

at the bottom of the bike on the right side, right infront of the rear tire there's 2 hoses just dangling and one of them isn't attached to anything but there's a red liquid inside with a plug at the end.

any help would be appreciated. how much does a good checkup cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If these hoses are small, like about 1 cm or less, then they are just drain hoses. Not sure what the red liquid could be or why that hose has a plug in it.

You're looking at more than just a tune up I'm afraid. Sounds like the gearbox has SARS. But just in case look at the left side for the shift linkage and be sure that all the bits are hooked up and that when you move the lever up and down it transfers the motion to the arm on the shaft that goes into the gearbox. And check closely to be sure that shaft is actually moving as well. It's possible that something on the outside has a stripped spline for some reason or that one of the parts has failed and fallen off. If it all looks good then it's time for a visit to the shop...... Bring $100 bills I'm afraid..... You'll need a few of them too.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    Red liquid means hydrolic-type fluids to me. ATF, general tranni stuff..

Scottoiler fluid is also red, but they rare.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

audiophile Array
    Bike
    na
    hmmm... well how much would it cost to get a pro to check out the problem. i just need to find the problem then me and my buddy can handle the rest

audiophile Array
    Bike
    na
    how much does a gearbox cost?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Not cheap.
    That is IF you can find one.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If it's not anything with the external linkage then it's inside and this means (usually) removing the engine and spliting the cases apart..... Not for your general faint of heart shadetree mechanic.

Your best bet for a bike of this age may be to shop for a replacement engine and then fix this one at your leasure.

Cost of an engine could range anywhere from $400 to $1400 with most of them being closer to the lower number for this type and age of bike I suspect.

If it's inside the cases then getting a pro to check it out will cost big bucks as he would have to do most of the work just to find the problem. And at that point it would be easier for you to just have him replace the broken part. You don't need the whole gearbox, just the part that's broken.

If you're thinking of tackling this yourself then it's certainly time to hit the dealer for a manual. Get a Clymer or Haynes aftermarket book. About $40 and worth every penny.

But as I said..... before you panic check to see that the external linkage is actually turning the selector shaft.

Sandworm. I thought ATF too but unless something very funny was done to the bike there's NOTHING I can think of that is red in any motorcycle system. Only cagers have auto trannies afterall.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Red does seem an odd color. The only red that I have ever seen on a bike is the fluid in my scottoiler.

Maybe the last owner put ATF fluid in instead of proper tranny stuff? This would definitly mess with the transmission. The plug in the hose tells me that this is not a standard overflow drain line. It might be a line once used to fill the tranny.

-Sandworm
    NOT A LAWYER

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Sorry Sandworm. All Kawi's use common oil supply for the engine and the tranny.

Even the rare bikes that do have a separate supply for the gearbox use gear oil and not ATF.

The only other thing I can think of is that there's water in that line and it's rusty red....

Jesus
    I wouldn't drop the motor yet. I am not that familiar with Kawis, but I have a good idea it's probably the fork that rotates the shifting drum, or the shifting drum. I would get a manual and see were the shifting drum is located, remove the case that exposes the drum and inspect the fork, and the pins(if it has pins) on the shifting drum. Becase I am not that familiar with this motor, I don't know the way in which the shift drum get rotated by the shifter shaft, but I would bet that problem is between the fork and the drum.

This job is not hard to do at all. I have done quite a few trannys and this is very very easy to do. Don't let the job scare you, it isn't hard, and you will feel good after you finnish.
    Last edited by Jesus; 04-05-2003 at 05:46 AM.

Bike
    98 Suzuki TLS
    I'm gonna try and dig up an old set of 1993 zx-6e gears that someone gave to me from their written off zx-6e. If you need'em they're yours.

Give Burnaby Kawasaki a call and give them as detailed an explanation as their time will afford. They should be able to figure out where the problem lies.
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Originally posted by Sewman
    ....Give Burnaby Kawasaki a call and give them as detailed an explanation as their time will afford. They should be able to figure out where the problem lies.
    If you do this be considerate of their time and phone EARLY in the morning before it gets busy. You'll get a better answer and they won't be so put out. They don't mind helping but they've got a business to run too after all. Ask for Ron or Manny in Parts and Service.

audiophile Array
    Bike
    na
    thanks, i'll see what i can do today