Crossing the Border with no Passport
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crossing the Border with no Passport

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

Crossing the Border with no Passport

I just renewed my passport this week so I'm without it for awhile. My close friend and I want to drive to Portland on Friday b/c he just bought a hot Mini and wants to pick it up.

I have a Nexus card but he hasn't received his yet. Can I get through with my BC driver's licence and other gov't i.d.? In fact, can I explain to the border guard and show him my Nexus card?

The return trip will be in two cars so that's no problem. I haven't bothered with the upgraded D.L.yet.

Bike
    If you have a NEXUS card, that's all you need.

I cross many times a week and only take my NEXUS card.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    CAUTION! If you have a NEXUS card, and your friend does not have one, you cannot use the NEXUS lane.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    OK, can I use my Nexus card in the regular lanes?

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that having your passport available for inspection if requested, was a prerequisite of NEXUS usage?
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I guess I need to phone the US border services. I'm not sure if that's the case, and to be truthfull, I never thought of that. I just thought that if I used my Nexus card all the data would be on there, same as my passport. However, what you say does make sense.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that having your passport available for inspection if requested, was a prerequisite of NEXUS usage?
    I can correct you,

The NEXUS card by itself is all you need while travelling between Canada/USA.

For the past 3 years, I have driven and flown in and out of the states with my NEXUS card (without my passport) and have never had any problems. The NEXUS card is even an acceptable proof of ID at airports in Canada and the USA. My passport stays home unless I travel to Europe.

FYI, your passport info is piggybacked on your NEXUS card.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Thanks, and this means that I can use my Nexus card at the "regular" entries not just the Nexus holders only lane, yes?

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    Yes you can. I do it at all the border crossings, haven't used my passport in a while.

BTW.

NEXUS SUCKS DON"T GET IT
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    "NEXUS members who are permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html#a10

although i have NEVER been asked to provide and any of the supporting docs.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    I can correct you,

The NEXUS card by itself is all you need while travelling between Canada/USA.

For the past 3 years, I have driven and flown in and out of the states with my NEXUS card (without my passport) and have never had any problems. The NEXUS card is even an acceptable proof of ID at airports in Canada and the USA. My passport stays home unless I travel to Europe.

FYI, your passport info is piggybacked on your NEXUS card.
    That's because you weren't checked. It wasn't until the last 2 years that you didn't need to carry your Birth cert/passport at a land crossing, so if you were checked 3 years ago in a random inspection (I was) they would have asked you for your documents. The new Nexus card (due to THIS bulletin) is now accepted as proper documentation at non-nexus lanes though.

I believe you still need to carry your passport while flying, even with nexus. So saying you haven't had a problem in the last 3 years is the same as me saying I take drugs across the border everytime I cross and haven't had a problem since I haven't been arrested.

The rules are fuzzy, and depending on where you read them, it doesn't sound like you need them for this, but maybe for that. It sounds like you may to carry your documents with you IN the nexus lane, but not in the others, again... depends on where you've read them.

And I even called them as recently as this past weekend and the guy on the phone told me I STILL should carry my passport with my nexus in case I get a secondary inspection. So there's a lot of mis-information out there, even maybe in my post!

My advice? if using a non-nexus lane... your nexus should be fine. If traveling in a nexus line, I'd carry a passport as well. There are so many ways to lose your nexus... being lazy and not carrying my passport isn't a way I'd want to.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by avocet View Post
    "NEXUS members who are permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html#a10

although i have NEVER been asked to provide and any of the supporting docs.

I have. But it was summer 2009. Rules have changed a bit since then.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    OK, thanks. Exactly what is proof of permanent residency if I don't have my passport. Birth Certificate? What else? SIN card? DL? My Gov't of Canada proof that I receive a benefit under the Old Age Security Act? BC Medical gold card? WTF? Wouldn't swiping my Nexus prove that I'm just a retired, straight shooter, who likes to travel in the USA? And a Can.Citizen permanent residence.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    OK, thanks. Exactly what is proof of permanent residency if I don't have my passport. Birth Certificate? What else? SIN card? DL? My Gov't of Canada proof that I receive a benefit under the Old Age Security Act? BC Medical gold card? WTF? Wouldn't swiping my Nexus prove that I'm just a retired, straight shooter, who likes to travel in the USA? And a Can.Citizen permanent residence.
    No need for secondary id as J scott mentioned in his post via land crossing

NEXUS and FAST membership cards now accepted as proof of identity in land and marine modes

NEXUS and FAST membership cards will now be accepted as proof of identity and as This means that citizens of Canada and the United States who are NEXUS or FAST members, and are carrying with them valid membership cards, are no longer required to documents that denote citizenship when entering Canada at all land and marine ports of entry.carry other supplementary documents such as passports or birth certificates with them when entering Canada by boat or by land, when using non-NEXUS or non-FAST lanes.

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    ..The rules are fuzzy...
    That is a very important point, and even if the rules aren't fuzzy, like many other things in life it depends on who you get on the day!
    I travel frequently for my job, and always err on the side of caution i.e. carry all the documentation they could possibly ask for, and go through the regular passport lines if in any doubt.
    A couple of personal anecdotes to illustrate this.
    I flew into Orlando from Dubai via the UK. Lines in the customs hall were horrendous and it took about an hour to get to the booth. On seeing my Canadian passport the officer asked to see my Nexus card simply because he'd never seen one before and told me I needn't have waited so long in line, I could have gone through the US citizen/nationals line as a Canadian citizen.
    Next time I passed through LAX the lines for non US citizens were enormous so I asked if I could join the much shorter US lines. I was asked how I possibly thought I could do that with a Canadian passport! As a result of the wait I missed my connecting flight only to find out that I could have gone through a very quiet express line given that I was in a hurry. No way to tell this tho'!
    Canadianbird, as you have a Passport and NEXUS I’d say just carry them both, they don’t take up much space.
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]