It's winter, I don't ride, and I always need something bike related to keep me sane, so as with my RC51 graphics/paint project that even today has stood the test of time (Syncro owns it now) I decided to tart up the '10 GSXR-750.
STEP 1: DESIGN
I decided I would fruit up the belly pan only. They are small, low down on the bike, and flat black, so if the project looks totally stupid, it won't stand out too much.
I never liked where the SUZUKI decal was positioned, being that it did not follow the obvious style line of the upper part of the belly pan. Decided to move it up, then work down from there.
Next, decided to work from a template of the belly pans as opposed to pulling them off and working on the pastics. This turned out to be a very efficient way or going about it, especially when doing layups which involved printing each decal, cutting them out, and postioning, re-positioning. Two trees gave their life for this project.
A quick visit to www.tapeworks.com who I used for my RC51 project, and copying/pasting each of the manufacturer logos allowed me to calculate the height/length porportion of each one. Using MS Excel to calculate this % ensured that the porportions were respected when I started resizing each one.
I was able to make the SUZUKI decals larger and longer in the process.
I decided each row of decals below SUZUKI would be 1.5 inches high, and each decal would be 1.375 inches high (this leaves some space between each row). This determined how long each decal would be, which in turn determined which row each would fit on, and how many would fit on each row. Spent about 4 hours total on this step alone.
The mock ups looks like this:
STEP 2: ORDER
A quick call to Tapeworks, and my order was on the cutter the same day, shipped out the next day, and in my hands 3 days later. Total cost $250, but I ordered two of everything assuming I would screw up a few times. Turns out my techique was good and I never wasted one of them
STEP 3: PREPARATION
Removing the decals I had put on was easy, peel and go. Removing the OEM SUZUKI decal was less than easy. The decal comes off relatively easy with a heat gun, but the glue left behind was tough.
TIP: Regular Goo Gone works really well. The Automotive version is garbage
A thorough degreasing followed by a bath in the kitchen sink to remove all dirt and grease followed (TIP: do this when your significant other is out of the house). Set yourself up with a extremely clean working area with plenty of light (the magnifying glass really helped).
STEP 4: INSTALLATION
I was planning on using pinstriping from Lordco to define each row for the design, but found it much easier to cut the top edge of each decal using a razor and a straight edge with 1/8 inch from the top edge of each decal, then use the decal above as a guide. They all came out nice and straight this way.
TIP: Tapeworks recommends that you not remove the top clear layer until after it has set for about 30mins. Good advice, however it does make the project slow as each decal requires half an hour set time before you can move on to the next. You can see the clear overlay on the Woodcraft decal above.