Carb Cleaner?

Thread: Carb Cleaner?

Carb Cleaner?

Does anyone ever run a carb cleaner through their gas, or periodically open the airbox and spray clean the carbs. I have never heard of anyone doing this with bikes, but it's fairly common in cars. If so, is there a prefered brand/product to use?

2. Remove Advertisements

The Wet Coast
    1966 CCM
    I have run carb cleaner and fuel injector cleaner in a few probs.....chevron techtron has a good rep
    I’m not crazy, I just need to get off this island. The doctors don’t believe I invented the chocolate éclair. But I did. I’m going to burn them all and drink soup from their skulls! Happy soup! Untie me and I’ll kill you last!

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    This is one of those snake oil products. If your carb isn't sticky from some sort of deposits then you're just wasting your time. And if your throttle feels sticky then it's a 99% chance that the cables need cleaning rather than the carbs.

Also just spaying it down the throat only cleans the slides and the exposed part of the needles. If there's gunk in the little passages of the carbs from being stored too long with gas in there then it's a waste of time again. You need to dissassemble them and blow out each and every passage to do any good.

Basically if it ain't broke don't go trying to fix it.

PS; The only time I've ever ran a bottle of injector cleaner through any of my vehicles it was for my truck when I suspected sticky injectors as there was a periodic cutout when cruising at a certain throttle setting. The cleaner did absolutely nothing to the problem. It didn't even make me feel good.

Buy good gas and you'll never need any of the special patent medicines they sell..... other than perhaps gas line ant1freeze if you live in the interior or back east. ( never even used that in my 7 years in Ontario and the buggy always ran fine).
    Last edited by TeeTee; 04-06-2003 at 06:33 PM.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

2005 CBR 600RR
    Don't use the additives I've experienced it about 6 times where the additives have stretched the rubber diaphram connected to the carb slide. automotive carbs usually don't have rubber in the them . Strongly recommend not using them, instead of wasting your money on additives give your bike away and buy a brand new trouble free Harley.