Anyone want to buy a skii mountain

http://friendsofshames.ca/index.php?...d=51&Itemid=95

$300.00 own a share in Shames skii hill near Terrace... Not bad

Bike
    S
    Pyramid scheme?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I "own" any mountain I step on. Like a BAUS!!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Hmmmm, I don't see anything about profit sharing or title benefits.

Sounds like a real bargain, and coupled with a relaxing and scenic 18hr drive
    to go skiing, also a very practical choice for most Lower Mainland residents.

Individual members are entitled to:

One Share = One Vote
    Early-bird rate to purchase seasons pass
    First right of refusal for new amenities (land development, lockers, etc.)
    First to know as a recipient of the member newsletter
    My Mountain Charge Card (no need to carry cash to the mountain)
    Online access to the My Mountain Co-op Intranet with:
    Special pro-deals & discounts with industry associations
    One-to-one communication with MMC Board Members & Management
    Timely information and resources
    A coupon book containing great deals and savings from MMC and regional businesses
    Member appreciation days and special events
    Special rates to host private events at Shames

Pay online using your paypal account or credit card. Please note: A non-refundable service charge will be applied to payments using the online payment system (i.e. individual memberships are $299 + $9.24 service charge = $308.24)

HikaShop , Joomla!™ Online Shop System
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    A "service charge" for taking online payments? What a joke.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    I sold Hemlock a few years ago when it was in receivership. It was kind of cool having my own ski hill for a winter, bringing potential purchasers up for cat skiing tours, "checking out" the site on powder days, renting it out for film shoots and getting to meet the cast (including some grizzly bears and a wolf pack).

My competitors that did the Manning deal said they didn't have half as much fun as I did

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    The question is if they turn it around would the shareholders make a profit on the investment if sold in the future

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argyle View Post
    The question is if they turn it around would the shareholders make a profit on the investment if sold in the future
    I did not read too far, but the "benefits" posted above, do not mention anything about
    profit......the investment, from what I saw, is more of a membership than anything.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    I grew up skiing on this mountain all through my youth until I left town at 18 to go to college. It truly is an absolute gem with the most pristine snow I've ever encountered anywhere. For people in this area, it's a treasure. For many, it's a reason to even stay in that part of the province, as it's a great escape from some of the tough jobs in mills, oil and gas, and other northern types of employment.

The former owners couldn't afford to keep it going, and seeing as it's the only skihill anywhere near there, the locals decided to step up and create a co-op to keep the facility afloat. I can't speak to how it's arranged in terms of profit-sharing, service charges or anything like that, but I do think it's a remarkable story of a community banding together to keep something they love up and running. For me, as someone who has years and years of fond memories of skiing on Shames, this story really warmed my heart.

For the people that purchased a membership in this co-op for $300, I highly doubt they did it with hopes of turning some sort of profit on it, or thinking it was a great business opportunity or anything like that. They did it with hopes of simply helping it stay afloat, so they could continue to enjoy the fantastic conditions that Shames Mountain has to offer. The co-op has already raised enough money to purchase the mountain from the previous owner...the transaction has already taken place.

Global recently did a story on this, if you'd like to watch the video, which includes skiing action clips from the mountain. Check it out here:

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/ski+...#stories/video

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    And in addition to that, you should watch this truly wonderful short film done on the same subject, by local photographer and filmmaker Jordan Manley. It might open your eyes up to what this little mountain is all about, and what it means to the people who get to ski it.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    That's really cool, thanks for the back story.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    That's a wonderful story of a community working towards a common goal to save something they love. Good for them!
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    What a great video, thanks Argyle.

Polly and Rod are a pair of unbelievable skiers and huge into the backcountry. I spent 10 years on the Shames Ski Patrol. Raising 2 kids and wanting to ski was pretty tough financially. Both my daughters received free passes because of their youth, I was given one as a patroller so all we had to pay for was my wife's. For 10 years straight, from mid-December to the 1st week of April all of our time off was spent on the hill. The patrol eventually had a pair of Atco trailers donated and placed on an old log sort 9 km from the base as a cabin. That way us people from Prince Rupert wouldn't have to do the 145 km drive home when we were up there for the weekend. It must have been able to sleep 25+ people and was a great place in the evenings.

Shames gets a crazy amount of snow, for most of the '90's it averaged 52'/yr. Quite a bit of coastal concrete but in January/February it could provide some beautiful powder. Spring skiing could be fantastic as the mountain faces south and the snow would be perfect by mid-morning after a clear night. Phenomenal backcountry skiing starting at the top of the T and a 30 minute bootpack opens up 3 more valleys to drop in, if I remember correctly. At the top of the T-Bar, there is a ski patrol cabin. It is on legs 15' above ground level and despite constant grooming, there were many, many times you had to shovel it out in order to open the door.
    The difference between you and me .........

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    1.5mil seems like a pretty good deal for a ski hill considering you can't get a fixer upper house in whistler or west van for that.

It's great to hear these stories of peeps that have lived there, it sounds like a great place too bad it's so far removed. I am sure that's it's appeal though.

Bike
    Demo Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    . I spent 10 years on the Shames Ski Patrol.
    Didn't Shames take some of the equipment from Mount Hays in Rupert after they finally admitted it was not a good location for a hill? I thought the T bar and lift went to Terrace?