VFR Rear Fender

Thread: VFR Rear Fender

Bike
    BMW F650GS DAKAR

Question VFR Rear Fender

So I went and bought a nice ol 99 VFR 800 over the holidays. The previous owner did a chop job on the rear fender and removed it. While it does look a lot better without that big ol tail on it, it's certainly bait to get an inspection notice.

So, what can I do here to get it legal?

Can I get a tire hugger and that will be considered legal?

Do I need to fully replace the fender and get a stock one from somewhere? If so, where and how much do you think I'd be looking at?

Or...can I get some heavy duty plastic and go all DYI with some mod and make my own rear fender?

Any thoughts and/or opinions?

Thanks!
    I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here.
    http://www.youtube.com/davidhowellca

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    I'd source an OEM fender from either Craigslist or some VFR forums.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    If there're bits of your fender left and you can mount a plate on it, I'd suggest a trade with another Viffer. Craigslist.

Bike
    It's a marvel of engineering
    You can pull it out of the states for $111 us plus shipping to where ever you want.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your shirt @ 70mph can double your vocabulary

Bike
    BMW F650GS DAKAR
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaganD View Post
    If there're bits of your fender left and you can mount a plate on it, I'd suggest a trade with another Viffer. Craigslist.
    I can mount the plate but why would someone want a hacked off fender in exchange for a perfectly legal one?

Bike
    BMW F650GS DAKAR
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    I'd source an OEM fender from either Craigslist or some VFR forums.
    Been looking but I aint finding :-/

Bike
    2004 VFR 800
    Vfrdiscussion.com
    Dont just look on there post in the wanted forum.

Eyes set on the rubbarb Array kelaog's Avatar
    Bike
    Bike hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by taoofdavid View Post
    So I went and bought a nice ol 99 VFR 800 over the holidays. The previous owner did a chop job on the rear fender and removed it. While it does look a lot better without that big ol tail on it, it's certainly bait to get an inspection notice.

So, what can I do here to get it legal?

Can I get a tire hugger and that will be considered legal?

Do I need to fully replace the fender and get a stock one from somewhere? If so, where and how much do you think I'd be looking at?

Or...can I get some heavy duty plastic and go all DYI with some mod and make my own rear fender?

Any thoughts and/or opinions?

Thanks!
    As long as the plate is mounted completely 90 degrees to the ground, and the reflectors, lighting, and turn signals are there you won't have any issues. I got pulled over a few times for inspection with a chopped fender on my 929RR and the cops never really noticed anything wrong. I rode around for 3 years like that. I even got pulled over and 2 of the bikes I was with got inspection tickets for illegal mounting of license plate... The cop actually came and thanked me for keeping mine stock hahaha

I think as long as it looks stock you'll be fine. Its when you have these plates mounted 2 degrees from horizontal or behind the rear wheel they will give you issues.

My .02c
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by kelaog View Post
    As long as the plate is mounted completely 90 degrees to the ground, and the reflectors, lighting, and turn signals are there you won't have any issues. I got pulled over a few times for inspection with a chopped fender on my 929RR and the cops never really noticed anything wrong. I rode around for 3 years like that. I even got pulled over and 2 of the bikes I was with got inspection tickets for illegal mounting of license plate... The cop actually came and thanked me for keeping mine stock hahaha

I think as long as it looks stock you'll be fine. Its when you have these plates mounted 2 degrees from horizontal or behind the rear wheel they will give you issues.

My .02c
    The signals also have to be a certain distance apart, and visible from certain distances/angles. Safest bet is definitely to keep it stock, but IMO as long as your set up is "reasonable," you won't get too much hassle. I had a fender eliminator at the end of the tail on my R6, with signals and plate light, and never got any trouble. One Squampton highway patrol guy (who rides a red VFR in his off time) asked me to angle my plate better (it was at about a 45 degree angle, so not very visible), and that was it...
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by taoofdavid View Post
    I can mount the plate but why would someone want a hacked off fender in exchange for a perfectly legal one?
    Because maybe his hackjob was a nice hackjob?

I've seen some good ones done.