BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Chemcal that removes oil

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Chyort 
#1 ·
Hi guys after looking on the web for a long time now i still cant find what im looking for.

Sometime back i lowsided my bike and shaved off my alternator cover and oil leaked out all over. I went over to a near by house and asked for some ducktape and paper towel to do a quick patch job. But when he came out he had tuck tape paper towel and a jug of something.

So i leaned the bike over and he soak the paper towel with the chemical and wiped over the oil cover areas and it looked like an alchohol since it looked moist and then evaporated and there was no oil at all left.

So if anyone know what it is that be great

Thanks in advance

#12 ·
I always wonder about ppl that shrug off chemical exposure, then act like its bravado or something. Ppl used to not care about that shit yrs ago when noone knew any better.
I watched a guy start pulling down an asbestos lined duct with no respirator, then call me a pussy. I called it a day and went home.

#15 ·
apparently used solvent is hazardous being that its mixed with so many different oils grease dirt grime and what have you and there is only one place in richmond that will take it
i use the solvent in a tank to clean parts and what not
no tumours growing out of me yet but down the road your right who knows but im not going to go through life wondering what if every time i need to get my hands dirty

funny how smoking cigarettes is socially acceptable to some people yet getting a little mineral spirits on your skin is so frowned upon

#17 ·
Agreed, but the problem is the 'used' part! New cigarettes are only partially hazardous I think. Same with fresh solvent. And motor oil. I wouldn't drink it, but used is a lot worse than new. And then there's the 3 headed baby shit, the stuff people like using because they get high off it.
I have learned to frown on both ;-)

#16 ·
It still amazes me how some people still don't read labels and react accordingly. If something tells you it's toxic, why chance it? I still see people in my industry wiping shit off their hands with MEK or screwing around with Mastinox on their arms.... stupid shit.

#20 ·
I never use safety stuff either , grew up on a farm and no one ever did . But yes use Brake clean simple green is shit in comparision .

But something that made me ditch the solvent tank years ago was my neighbour somehow got an infection from the solvent tank it almost killed him. He lost all his hair , turned white was in Hospital for more then 6 months and can never be a mechanic again. He wrenched for almost 25 years .

#21 ·
I have worn gloves for years. And glasses, mask, etc..
One old guy asked how I could wear them, I said that they're not bad, and great at the end of the day, light hand wash and you're gone.
He said he couldn't get used to them, been working on stuff for 30 years.
I replied 'me too'.
He looked 15 years older than me, and he knew it!

One old timer than buys parts from us had them on when he picked up some stuff up.
I asked how long he'd been wearing them.
'oh, since I only have 4 layers of skin left on myhands, and can't afford to loose any more'

Just an FYI.

Some trades are slim on the number of healthy retirees they produce.

#29 ·
most of you guys ride motorcycles i assume. statistically speaking, that is a hellova lot more detrimental to your life expectancy than a little brake clean.

that said, those black nitrile gloves are cheap and relatively durable. i always use em. not so much for safety, but it saves on the multi cleaner scrubdown afterwards. also, used motor oil tastes gross when u go to bite ur nails.

#30 ·
Im not a pro mechanic, but dad and I have been working on things together for a long time. I never used gloves cause we never had any.

When I moved to Kamloops for work though, I quickly learned that... gloves aren't that bad. You can put FORCE on your tools without worrying about jamming your knuckle into the threads of a bolt if the tool lets go.

And... it was cold there. And gloves definitely helped working with metal tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.