Chain questions

Thread: Chain questions

Registered User Array bigbearcanada's Avatar
    North Shore
    '04 SV1000s

Chain questions

So I need to replace the chain and sprockets on my SV1000s. CompAccessories has 40 different chains that supposedly fit my bike. How the hell do I choose one?

My current chain is a 530. Ive seen lots of kits for 520 and 525 conversions. Why would I want to do this?

What is the difference between o-ring, and x-ring?

Any significant differences between DID, RK, EK, Regina, Renthal?

What do I really NEED? I mostly use the bike for commuting with some spirited weekend jaunts and a couple of overnight trips a year.

Last edited by bigbearcanada; 01-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    "If your gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough"

2. Remove Advertisements

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    The lower chain numbers are lighter weight. They may wear a little quicker under a big twin rider who like to twist the joy handle. They also need new sprockets to match.

Any good "brand name" o-ring or x-ring chain will do fine for street riding. If you're racing you may need the latest super-duper setup, highest tensile strength, lowest weight, lowest friction type chain, but the rest of us probably won't notice the difference.

The best deals I've been finding have been chain/sprocket combos for a particular application, cheaper than buying the components separately.

Registered User Array stinkyfast's Avatar
    In front
    I've run an RK x-ring chain for both my dirt and street bike for the last few changes and am very happy. I don't care about weight anymore (I beat "gramitis" years ago). I pick up steel sprockets and the RK chain for just under $100 from a guy on e-buy called dirtparts.