Oil overfilled....maybe
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil overfilled....maybe

Registered User Array bigbearcanada's Avatar
    Bike
    '04 SV1000s

Oil overfilled....maybe

So when I put my bike (SV1000s) to bed for the winter, I did all the usual chores. I added the specified amount of oil for an oil and filter change and thought nothing more of it.

Yesterday when I was changing brake fluid, I noticed that the oil is not only above the high mark, but above the sight glass.

My theory is that because I didn't run the bike after the change, the filter is not filled, and the extra oil that would be in the filter is in the reservoir. Does that sound plausible? If not, how much damage can I do by running it for a few minutes to get oil into the filter and re-check the level?

Thanks for the help

Bear
    "If your gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Why not drain some of the oil into a clean container, run the bike for a few minutes, see where the oil level sits then, and top up (with the oil you just drained) if necessary?
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    Tilt your bike and see how much of too much oil you have,
    If it's at the top or marginaly above the sight glass, I personally wouldn't worry,

However, if it's lots, then do as Kerunt said.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    put it on the side stand, check the level then, if it is low or off the glass you should be able to run it long enough to fill the filter.....

BTW if you did not run the engine after changing the oil but before storing it, you are not really helping the engine much....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    RC
    You could just leave it, drain that oil in the spring and re-fill.

I know some folks will pre-fill filters but that can get messy.

As a side note the bike can run without the filter, once it gets dirty the oil will just bypass it. Just don't try this with no filter attached, that will pump all the oil out quick.

If this is really freaking you out then pull the plugs out, put the engine in top gear and roll the rear wheel. That will spin your internals and move any excess oil around.

If you undo the drain plug it's all coming out, you're not going to just ease out a bit so be ready with a big pan.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    I doubt running the bike a few min's will have any impact, and if you are sure you put
    in the correct amount, but did not run it, maybe that's it. You could always pull your
    filter to check, but I know you want to avoid the mess if possible.

You really need to run it to get the right level anyway I think......I'll always do.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    Why not drain some of the oil into a clean container, run the bike for a few minutes, see where the oil level sits then, and top up (with the oil you just drained) if necessary?
    It's sometimes tough, and really messy to attempt to drain just a bit of oil......my experience,
    all or none, unless you are not worried about a cleanup, and possibly get oil all over the place.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Do as Chia said, just run the thing it's not going to hurt for a few minutes.

But as a future note, never blindly "put in the specified amount" of oil. Always fill it to the indicator on your sight glass or dip stick. Run the engine a few mins then top up as neccessary.

As someone said above changing the oil without running the engine doesn't do much good. All your "old oil" is still around all your bearings and crank whereas your new oil is sitting in the bottom of the crankcase...
    Last edited by silverD; 02-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    RC
    Doesn't anyone turn their engine over by hand anymore to help flush oil on a change? You'd be surprised how much more comes out.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Doesn't anyone turn their engine over by hand anymore to help flush oil on a change? You'd be surprised how much more comes out.
    Is that what that crank under my seat is for????

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    RC
    That or to open your headlight when re-filling with acetylene.

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    I once rode a new/used bike (91 CBR F2) that was over filled..... to the cap.

After buying the bike for cheap and in shit condition I rode it for 2 weeks to figure out why the thing was shifting poorly (if at all), ran on 2 cylinders at times and blackend a brand new set of plugs in the first week. Turns out the previous owner filled the oil to the cap, which turned out to be an extra 4.4 liters of oil.

Drained oil, new plugs. Bike did 4.3 seconds 0-60.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaganD View Post
    Drained oil, new plugs. Bike did 4.3 seconds 0-60.
    Wow, that .5 seconds slower than a Vstrom 650.....was it faster when you used the correct amount of oil?

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    It could be fuel in the oil , smell test the cap

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Wow, that .5 seconds slower than a Vstrom 650.....was it faster when you used the correct amount of oil?
    Yeah... this was when I was 2 months new to the whole riding a motorcycle thing, and was foolish enough to have the balls to attempt a flat out, redline to redline standing start to 100kph test AND glance at the watch strapped to the bars. (I messed up the launch, as I'd only watched a couple motorcycle drag race launches on the then new Youtube)

Factory claimed 3.3 second 0-60, and I'm pretty sure the bike could get to 3.8 if not faster after I fixed it (this was 2006 for 91 model CBR)