BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Paint jobs

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  SRAD 
#1 ·
Jus toying with the idea of re-painting my bike to the same scheme as the GSX-R600M Telefonica Movistar replica. I like the design, very original, nice colors. How much would I have to pay to get that done to my bike roughly? Anyone know? Thanx!

#2 ·
lots. my guess is the decals/airbrushing would hurt the bank the most. I got my FZ painted (tank, sides, fender and headlight, no fairings) and that alone cost $600 for straight yellow with a pearl (no graphics) but in my experience you get what you pay for when it comes to bodywork and painting, drop more cash and the results will tell the tale. my 2 cents anyhow...

#7 ·
$$$

I have to agree with naked-is-better. You would easily pay thousands for a custom job like that, there is a tonne of hours involved in masking, painting, masking, painting, sanding, painting, etc, etc.

If you're trying to replicate the look on a budget you're probably better off taking the body & tank off yourself and having a professional body shop do the basic blue paint colour without the clear coat. While that is done have a local decal~graphics company cut up all the replication decals you need. You might even be able to find it in a kit from http://www.tapeworks.com/ (check the link).

Bring the decal package to the shop that is doing the work for you and include LOTS of pictures of the Telefonica race bike so they know which decals go where and in which orientation. Then have them spray the layers of clear coat over top of the decals. I can't stress to you enough how important it is to bring lots of pictures so the job turns out the way you want it too. Years ago a good buddy of mine had his F2 custom painted with new decals, the guy who did the work wasn't a bike guy so he had no idea that he put the Honda wing logo on backwards. Once the clear coat is over top of them its too late to go back.

Good luck. It'll look sweet if you have it done right.

BLUEBALLS:thumbup

#8 ·
i would estimate upwards of 1800 man, with the custom sitckers and all.

i am painting my F3 a solid color and was already quoted (600-800) tank included

SRAD said:
Jus toying with the idea of re-painting my bike to the same scheme as the GSX-R600M Telefonica Movistar replica. I like the design, very original, nice colors. How much would I have to pay to get that done to my bike roughly? Anyone know? Thanx!

#9 ·
Hey thanx BLUEBALLZ that helps! Yeah i figureditd be pricey. wow its so expensive to do repaints on bikes! :eek Maybe i'll sand the fairings/tank myself, and have the paint done without the clearcoat, and have a local comp. do decls and then get it clearcoated. This isnt something I'd be doing anytime soon. But maybe come winter when the bike is stored. Thanx for the input!

#12 ·
SRAD, no sweat, glad I could help with the info.

Fall & Winter is the best time to under take a project like that. You want to give the fresh paint job a lot of time to "cure" because it is REALLY soft when it is freshly done. I had an old bike custom painted about 10 years ago in the fall. When I picked it up I rode it about 75km and then put it away for the winter (snowy Ontario:rolleyes). When I took it out of storage in April the paint had fully cured and hardened up nicely and had a beautiful shine. Unfortunately, during my 75km ride the fresh paint was introduced to a few bugs and very small stones ~ large dust particles from on coming vehicles. Due to the fact that the fresh paint was so soft this stuff created little blemishes in the new paint job, kinda bummed me out:(. Lesson learned the hard way, funny how we always remember those kind of lessons...

BLUEBALLS:thumbup

G
#16 ·
gixxerca said:
1st : Have the shop paint the base color.
2nd : Put the decals on.
3rd : Have the shop put a clear coat.

You can get the decals at :
http://www.redracingparts.com/en/english.htm
Exactly what this guy said, althought you could clearcoat and then put the stickers on (except the tank.... you want to do the clearcoat last). You only need the base plus the stickers. Personally - I think it is a good waist of some perfectly good fairings (if you have no scratches). I would instead go out and buy some rashed plastic for dirt cheap, do the sanding myself, then get someone to paint the clearcoat....... then get the race stickers from some of those European outfits which are WAY cheaper than the factory Suzuki stuff.

Furthermore - there like it was mentioned above..... the new Suzuki Alstare is coming out this year:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.