The Trial of Monty Robinson - Page 19
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: The Trial of Monty Robinson

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    i've seen cars just crank a last second turn after realizing they almost missed the intersection.

drunk driver, got used to driving in his neighborhood... maybe didnt bother signaling as he didnt "see" any oncoming traffic...
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

for the crumpet I suppose dasein is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2008 ZX10r street, 2009 ZX6r race, KTM 300 XC-W dirt.
    Verdict tomorrow. Easy to predict: search the Judge's prior decisions concerning native persons and police officers. Both are pretty polarizing issues.

One thing I learned in my 53 appearance battle in family court: it is all about Judge selection. And yes, if your (or your opponent's) lawyer is good, they do pick them. Not formally, but there are many ways.

Registered User Frank Einstein is on a distinguished road Frank Einstein's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Honda X15RRR4000BTU Space Comander..I just call her "Chopper"!
    I was wondering where I had seen you before. It's kinda weird when you see someone in a suit instead of a motorcycle outfit. Nice to see you.
    Quote Originally Posted by stever88ca View Post
    Easy cowboy. I'm no friend of MR, but if he does have an addiction problem (which I don't know if he does) he may yet get help and go on to live a useful, helpful life, sparing his children the spectre of heaping a suicide into the mix.

I dropped into the courtroom for a few minutes today and caught a short portion of the Crown's closing after attending at the Courthouse on another matter. The public gallery was packed but not a lot to see. I nodded at Frank Einstein.
    My brain is the same shape as my hat!

Registered User Locksmith is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
    Quote Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
    shyyyt, I never knew he was a lawyer - I just remember him from his Vancouver trojans days. And ya, good guy. Hope this is one game he wins - unlike his tenure with the BCFC's Rubbers!
    Actually, he did pretty well with the Trojans. Did you play?

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by dasein View Post
    Verdict tomorrow. Easy to predict: search the Judge's prior decisions concerning native persons and police officers. Both are pretty polarizing issues.

One thing I learned in my 53 appearance battle in family court: it is all about Judge selection. And yes, if your (or your opponent's) lawyer is good, they do pick them. Not formally, but there are many ways.
    The verdict is not for a month.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Einstein View Post
    I was wondering where I had seen you before. It's kinda weird when you see someone in a suit instead of a motorcycle outfit. Nice to see you.
    Was he wearing a Zorro outfit?

for the crumpet I suppose dasein is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2008 ZX10r street, 2009 ZX6r race, KTM 300 XC-W dirt.
    Ooops. I just saw 23... ahh. March 23! I thought that was a little from the hip for the Judge.

Better. I still say we could reliably call it.

5up1down SHANE is on a distinguished road SHANE's Avatar
    Bike
    09 FZ1
    why did they get rid of public hangings again ??? FFS !!

Sedate hooligan T-rex is on a distinguished road T-rex's Avatar
    Bike
    Husaboom and the General Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Locksmith View Post
    Actually, he did pretty well with the Trojans. Did you play?
    0-10 in 2004? Pretty good ... for the Trojans! lol
    I covered the league for about 10 years as a cub reporter. Good times, good times. You a player? Coach? Inebriated Executive?

/end threadjack
    /back to bashing Monty

That new bike smell mondocycle is on a distinguished road mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha33 View Post
    Both the rider and the driver gambled that night by drinking and riding/driving. If either of them decided not to drink, the accident would have been prevented. They are both equally responsible for causing the accident. Some of us hate Monty a little more because he's a cop...The problem with the current legal system started long before Monty and the rider fucked up...
    SSSSHHHH! Stop thinking for yourself and go with what the Beanie Cap Coalition of Morons is telling everybody who owns a motorcycle this is about- a dirty cop killed an innocent guy on a bike, period. When the next rider (who probably won't be drunk) gets gonged by a left turning "cage", they (BCCOM) will no doubt be all over it. Like they have in the past. Not about the cop hate at all.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Registered User BCCOM is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    n/a
    Monty Robinson’s fate in obstruction case to be decided in March
    The submissions were made before a judge in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster.

Robinson, a 41-year-old RCMP corporal, is charged with obstruction of justice in connection with the incident that killed 21-year-old motorcyclist Orion Hutchinson in Delta.

Around 10 p.m. on Oct. 25, 2008, Robinson and two of his children left a Halloween party about five minutes from their home. Robinson had consumed five beers at the event over the course of four hours, but felt fine to drive.

At the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Gilchrist Drive, Robinson made a left turn and collided with Hutchinson, who was thrown from his motorcycle and died at the scene.

After the crash, Robinson gave his driver’s licence to a bystander and walked his children home. After they were settled, he drank two shots, or two to four ounces, of vodka.

He returned to the scene a few minutes later and identified himself to police. He told an officer about the drinks he had at home.

Crown prosecutor Kris Pechet argued that the admission alone constitutes obstruction because of Robinson’s experience and background.

Robinson, a 12-year veteran of the RCMP at the time of the crash, had taken more than 40 courses, including training in blood-alcohol testing.

Pechet said Robinson knew the defences for drinking and driving and how his conversation with the police officer would “hamstring” the investigation by making it impossible for experts to extrapolate what his blood-alcohol reading would have been when the crash occurred.

“Here, he slipped police the poison pill,” Pechet said.

The Crown also presented evidence that a year before the crash Robinson told friends at a Christmas party how to avoid drunk-driving charges, describing a method that matched what Robinson did on Oct. 25, 2008. The defence called the testimony unreliable.

Defence lawyer David Crossin argued, and Robinson said in his testimony, that Robinson was not thinking of the consequences when he drank the vodka because it was the act of an alcoholic. At worst, Crossin said, it was an error in judgment.

Crossin reminded the court that an addiction expert, Dr. Paul Sobey, testified that at the time of the crash Robinson suffered from alcohol dependence.

Sobey said Robinson’s actions after the crash were typical of someone diagnosed with such a disease.

“It wasn’t what most of us would do, but it’s exactly what he would do and did,” Crossin said.

The admission to police was not obstruction, Crossin argued, but simply a confession.

“It’s a clinical disease impacting the brain,” Crossin said. “The myth of addiction is that it is about choice. It is not.”

Justice Janice Dillon will deliver her decision on March 23.

Robinson is also awaiting trial on a perjury charge in connection with his involvement in the October 2007 Tasering incident at Vancouver airport. Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski died. Three other officers also face charges.

Robinson is currently suspended with pay from his RCMP duties.

jensaltman@theprovince.com

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    If I was riding home impaired... and Joe Blow had been at a party drinking and then hit me on his harley... and done the same thing as laid out in this case, I would hope that someone would at least follow up to try and ensure justice is done.

One has paid for his life, the other shouldn't be absolved by curtailing the justice system. It doesn't fix my death, it doesn't mean I wasn't in the wrong as well, but it ensures that people who are guilty of a wrong are punished, whatever that may be.

The dead don't come back to face their impaired driving consequences. They pay the ultimate price, as did Orion.

I would expect that if this was the case, BCCOM, and everyone I know.. would be in full support of justice, even if they all agreed that it was wrong, dumb, and against the law for me to ride impaired.

Two wrong impaired drivers colliding doesn't make a right. But one getting away with it is surely a wrong, no?

Everyone will agree that Orion, being impaired, played a potential role in his own demise. That doesn't mean anyone else should be just left for a free pass.

I think it's stupid that someone was riding a bike impaired. And I think it equally stupid that the alleged did what he did.

You could be riding your bike pissed as an idiot, doing 200kph wheelies in a drug induced hazed. If someone else was potentially impaired when they collided with you, they should face the music. If they head off for a few shots to kaibosh the investigation, somoeone should look into that.... and not just sweep it under the rug. It doesn't mean I was in the right... it means ensuring someone in the wrong is dealt with accordingly.

Forget motorcycles, they both could have been operating Transit buses... same story for me.

And for the record, I don't know Orion Hutchison.
    Last edited by bandito; 02-22-2012 at 07:47 PM.

That new bike smell mondocycle is on a distinguished road mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    If I was riding home impaired... and Joe Blow had been at a party drinking and then hit me on his harley... and done the same thing as laid out in this case, I would hope that someone would at least follow up to try and ensure justice is done....

Two wrong impaired drivers colliding doesn't make a right. But one getting away with it is surely a wrong, no?

Forget motorcycles, they both could have been operating Transit buses... same story for me....
    http://www.injuryresearch.bc.ca/cate...=1&subcatid=37

"Motor Vehicle Collisions in British Columbia

Did you know...

There are approximately 400 deaths due to motor vehicle crashes in BC each year.

There are approximately 36 deaths due to motorcyclist collisions with vehicles each year. Those aged 20-29 years are at greatest risk.

There are approximately 66 deaths per year due to motor vehicle collisions with pedestrians each year. Those aged 75-84 years are at greatest risk.

There are approximately 700 motorcyclist injuries that require hospitalization each year. Those aged 20-24 years are at greatest risk."

Unless you have some interesting "hook" for the media, and can be used to beat the drum for an organization and it's agenda, you will probably just be among the many forgotten tragic fatalities. All those deaths and the herd is led to protest ONE single sad event, over and over. If people REALLY want justice for those killed by impaired / hit and run / suspended / drivers, our courts would be filled with outraged citizens. How people commute on our roads and/or what the person who killed them has as a profession shouldn't matter. Sadly, not the case.

The motivation for the Monty incident led to protests long before the facts of the matter ever came out. Some of the truth revealed turned out to be very inconvenient to the cause, but Biker Killed by Drunk Cop is too sexy a headline for a certain organization to cling to.

My opinion, maybe because I see all people's live's as equally important, and all people equally responsible in the event of wrong-doing.
    Last edited by mondocycle; 02-22-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: sp
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Registered User Locksmith is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
    Well, won a Canadian Junior Championship with them in 1982. Did a few years at the end of Kris's tenure there. Now I am a BCFC league official.

Quote Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
    0-10 in 2004? Pretty good ... for the Trojans! lol
    I covered the league for about 10 years as a cub reporter. Good times, good times. You a player? Coach? Inebriated Executive?

/end threadjack
    /back to bashing Monty

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    “It’s a clinical disease impacting the brain,” Crossin said. “The myth of addiction is that it is about choice. It is not.”
    IF RCMP is ANYTHING like the military when it comes to alcoholism and related issues, there are programs designed for people like him. Every fucking year one of the first days there is a lecture on alcohol consumption, dangers, and what aid is avaliable to those who seek it. No questions asked and if someone comes looking for help it is actually respected.
    Those programs are free. Every mess has posters and pamphlets regarding alcohol over consumption and what a person should consume at a maximum/day (2 standard drinks).

If he decided not to seek help over all those years, it is indeed a choice in his case.

That's IF he is not being himself aka a lying piece of shit.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

+ Reply to Thread