The Trial of Monty Robinson - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trial of Monty Robinson

Registered User BCCOM is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    I keep hearing Orion had alcohol in his blood was it ever determined how much?
    To my knowledge that has never been released. I am sure it will come up in trial.

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by silverD View Post
    The coroners report is linked in post 56... from the CBC
    Thanks I saw that last year. I mean the actual readings of the BAC.

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post
    Thanks I saw that last year. I mean the actual readings of the BAC.
    Gottcha I see what you mean. It may never come out if the coroners report only says over the legal limit.

It's an important fact to the accident but it may not be a factor, as this trial is about his obstruction which is after the fact..
    Last edited by silverD; 02-14-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

backslider K-rod is on a distinguished road K-rod's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 K1200S
    ya ya - cut and paste ... whatever:

Crown prosecutor Kris Pechet told the trial in his opening statement earlier that Robinson tried to use his police training to escape a drunk driving conviction when he claimed to have had the alcohol after the crash.

Testimony on training expected
    Pechet said Crown witnesses will say Robinson took an RCMP data training course in 2005 where he was taught that people who have an accident while driving after drinking can defeat an impaired charge if they have something to drink after the accident.

By leaving their driver's licence at the accident scene, they can escape a charge of leaving the scene of a crash.

must have more bacon gxr jo is on a distinguished road gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    84 vf750 , 01 sv650 race bike , 06 gixxr thou race bike , 09 1198s , manigale
    monty is a first class prick
    listen to me or i will eat you're bacon

wmrc #9

West Koots, I'm here.... flyfishinwoman is on a distinguished road flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by gxr jo View Post
    monty is a first class prick
    Correction, he is a class-less prick.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    n/a

Day 2

B.C. Mountie appeared impaired after fatal accident, arresting officer testifies
    By Jennifer Saltman, The Province February 14, 2012 •Story•Photos ( 1 )
    RCMP Cpl. Monty Robinson arrives at B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster on Monday to face a charge of obstructing justice in connection with the October 2008 crash that killed motorcyclist Orion Hutchinson in Delta.Photograph by: Glenn Baglo - PNG, The ProvinceA Delta police officer noticed signs that Benjamin “Monty” Robinson had been drinking as she interviewed him shortly after he was involved in a fatal crash 3 1/2 years ago.

Const. Sarah Swallow testified Tuesday at Robinson’s B.C. Supreme Court trial in New Westminster that Robinson appeared pale, dry mouthed, slurred his speech slightly and had unfocused eyes.

“I smelled alcohol about his person,” Swallow said.

Robinson, a 41-year-old RCMP corporal, is charged with obstruction of justice in connection with the Oct. 25, 2008 crash that killed 21-year-old motorcyclist Orion Hutchinson in Delta.

Around 10 p.m. that day, Robinson and two of his children left a Halloween party about five minutes from their home. At the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Gilchrist Drive Robinson made a left turn and collided with Hutchinson.

Hutchinson was thrown from his motorcycle and died at the scene.

After the crash, Robinson gave his driver’s licence to a bystander and left the scene to take his children home. He returned a few minutes later.

Swallow saw Robinson standing beside his Jeep and approached him because she thought he was a bystander.

He told her, “You’re probably looking for me. I’m the driver.”

They spoke briefly and she noticed signs of either impairment or shock, including the smell of alcohol.

Swallow wanted to find out more about he incident and indicated that they should go to her police car. As they walked, “his movements were quite deliberate.”

“It appeared as though he was thinking about the action of walking,” Swallow testified.

At her police car, Swallow asked Robinson if he’d had anything to drink.

“Mr. Robinson replied that when he was at home he had a drink to calm his nerves,” Swallow said.

Swallow said she asked how much Robinson drank and he replied that he had two shots of vodka.

“I said I felt the symptoms of impairment or alcohol consumption I saw on him were more established than I felt two shots of vodka in the last 10 minutes would have been,” Swallow testified.

Robinson then admitted he drank two beers at the Halloween party around 5:30 p.m.

Swallow later arrested Robinson for impaired driving causing death.

Two breath samples taken at the Delta police station were over 0.08 — 0.12 and 0.1.

Defence lawyer David Crossin argued Robinson’s statements to Swallow should not be admitted because he was unlawfully

“The conduct of Const. Swallow from meeting at the Jeep onward was directed at curtailing Mr. Robertson’s liberty,” Crossin told Justice Janice Dillon.

Crossin said Swallow directed Robinson to her police vehicle because she wanted to prevent him from leaving the scene, amounting to physical and psychological restraint. Swallow testified that she left the car door open until she arrested Robinson, although there are conflicting witness statements.

Crossin said Swallow had an obligation to give Robinson a Charter warning before detaining him because she had enough information to suspect Robinson was impaired and his arrest was imminent.

“She was about to, frankly, put the final nail in his coffin,” Crossin said.

In his opening statements Monday, Crown prosecutor Kris Pechet said that whether Robinson went home and had a drink or not, the fact that he told police that he’d done so constitutes obstruction because of his training and knowledge as a police officer.

The trial continues.

Robinson was also one of four officers involved in the fatal Tasering of Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski at Vancouver International Airport in October 2007.

Robinson is scheduled to go to trial on a charge of perjury next year.

He has been on paid suspension since Oct. 28, 2008.

jensaltman@theprovince.com

Don't be stupid. Sikorsky is on a distinguished road Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by silverD View Post
    I'm not condoning or defending MR in any way, but there is information out there that seems to get forgotten...
    Exactly how I feel.

However as BCCOM has pointed out, this is an obstruction case, not impaired. Which is something apparently high on BCCOM's mandate.
    The difference between you and me .........

Don't be stupid. Sikorsky is on a distinguished road Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    I'm currently reading Feynmans' QED... very black magical indeed!

(it's no homo-erotic police love story though, where the 'good guys always get their man', so you probably wouldn't be interested)

The difference between you and me .........

Bike
    '08 Varadero
    mmm, now I want a big Kahuna burger, I hear they're tasty.
    Heeere's your sign...

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post
    B.C. Mountie appeared impaired after fatal accident, arresting officer testifies
    By Jennifer Saltman, The Province February 14, 2012 •Story•Photos ( 1 )
    RCMP Cpl. Monty Robinson arrives at B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster on Monday to face a charge of obstructing justice in connection with the October 2008 crash that killed motorcyclist Orion Hutchinson in Delta.Photograph by: Glenn Baglo - PNG, The ProvinceA Delta police officer noticed signs that Benjamin “Monty” Robinson had been drinking as she interviewed him shortly after he was involved in a fatal crash 3 1/2 years ago.

Const. Sarah Swallow testified Tuesday at Robinson’s B.C. Supreme Court trial in New Westminster that Robinson appeared pale, dry mouthed, slurred his speech slightly and had unfocused eyes.

“I smelled alcohol about his person,” Swallow said.

Robinson, a 41-year-old RCMP corporal, is charged with obstruction of justice in connection with the Oct. 25, 2008 crash that killed 21-year-old motorcyclist Orion Hutchinson in Delta.

Around 10 p.m. that day, Robinson and two of his children left a Halloween party about five minutes from their home. At the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Gilchrist Drive Robinson made a left turn and collided with Hutchinson.

Hutchinson was thrown from his motorcycle and died at the scene.

After the crash, Robinson gave his driver’s licence to a bystander and left the scene to take his children home. He returned a few minutes later.

Swallow saw Robinson standing beside his Jeep and approached him because she thought he was a bystander.

He told her, “You’re probably looking for me. I’m the driver.”

They spoke briefly and she noticed signs of either impairment or shock, including the smell of alcohol.

Swallow wanted to find out more about he incident and indicated that they should go to her police car. As they walked, “his movements were quite deliberate.”

“It appeared as though he was thinking about the action of walking,” Swallow testified.

At her police car, Swallow asked Robinson if he’d had anything to drink.

“Mr. Robinson replied that when he was at home he had a drink to calm his nerves,” Swallow said.

Swallow said she asked how much Robinson drank and he replied that he had two shots of vodka.

“I said I felt the symptoms of impairment or alcohol consumption I saw on him were more established than I felt two shots of vodka in the last 10 minutes would have been,” Swallow testified.

Robinson then admitted he drank two beers at the Halloween party around 5:30 p.m.

Swallow later arrested Robinson for impaired driving causing death.

Two breath samples taken at the Delta police station were over 0.08 — 0.12 and 0.1.

Defence lawyer David Crossin argued Robinson’s statements to Swallow should not be admitted because he was unlawfully

“The conduct of Const. Swallow from meeting at the Jeep onward was directed at curtailing Mr. Robertson’s liberty,” Crossin told Justice Janice Dillon.

Crossin said Swallow directed Robinson to her police vehicle because she wanted to prevent him from leaving the scene, amounting to physical and psychological restraint. Swallow testified that she left the car door open until she arrested Robinson, although there are conflicting witness statements.

Crossin said Swallow had an obligation to give Robinson a Charter warning before detaining him because she had enough information to suspect Robinson was impaired and his arrest was imminent.

“She was about to, frankly, put the final nail in his coffin,” Crossin said.

In his opening statements Monday, Crown prosecutor Kris Pechet said that whether Robinson went home and had a drink or not, the fact that he told police that he’d done so constitutes obstruction because of his training and knowledge as a police officer.

The trial continues.

Robinson was also one of four officers involved in the fatal Tasering of Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski at Vancouver International Airport in October 2007.

Robinson is scheduled to go to trial on a charge of perjury next year.

He has been on paid suspension since Oct. 28, 2008.

jensaltman@theprovince.com
    I never did get the details of the actual accident. Did Robinson actually enter into the motorcyclists 'right of way'??

Steve

Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I never did get the details of the actual accident. Did Robinson actually enter into the motorcyclists 'right of way'??

Steve
    The best source of info is likely the coroners report, referenced above, post 56.
    Heeere's your sign...

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Constable SARAH SWALLOW?
    Last edited by bandito; 02-15-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Constable SARAH SWALLOW?
    OK this will not end well...

West Koots, I'm here.... flyfishinwoman is on a distinguished road flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Constable SARAH SWALLOW?
    Perhaps she is from the Musqueam Band, where this last name is common.

Back on topic, did many motorcyclists show up for the trial today? Adele??
    Last edited by flyfishinwoman; 02-15-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

+ Reply to Thread