Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Massive BMW recall list - Bikes and Cars

Bike

Massive BMW recall list - Bikes and Cars

Fix them if you got them

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nvs...f16Recalls.pdf

News article:

February 13, 2012

Washington, D.C. – BMW of North America has agreed to pay US$3 million in fines for taking too long to report safety defects in several cars and motorcycles.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that the automaker failed to comply with requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act that requires it to report safety defects and noncompliances to the federal government in a timely manner.

“It’s critical to the safety of the driving public that defects and recalls are reported in short order,” said NHTSA administrator David Strickland. “NHTSA expects all manufacturers to address automotive safety issues quickly and in a forthright manner.”

Federal law requires all auto manufacturers to notify NHTSA within five business days of determining that a safety defect or noncompliance exists, and to promptly conduct a recall. NHTSA’s examination of 16 recalls issued by BMW in 2010 found evidence of a number of instances where the automaker failed to report safety defects to the agency in accordance with federal law.

As part of the settlement, BMW and its parent company Bayerische Motoren Werke AG agreed to make internal changes to its recall decision-making process to ensure timely reporting to consumers and the federal government in future.

The fines will be paid into the Treasury Department’s general fund.
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 02-14-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Thanks for the 'heads up' on that !

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Thanks B.
    Last edited by bandito; 02-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Eschew obfuscation Array Mollygrubber's Avatar
    Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
    Bike
    2010 BMW F800GS
    Argh. The wife's bike got nailed twice... thanks for the heads-up Shovelhead.

Bike
    2008 BMW HP2S, Beta 525RR. 2012 Multi S Touring
    3 BMW's and none in there... 335d r1200s hp2s Wish they would recall the final drive for a bomb proof version though.
    "I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different!"
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Pretty much recalls in the last year.

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 AND 2008 G 650 X COUNTRY, G 650 X CHALLENGE, AND G650 X MOTO MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 29, 2006 THROUGH MAY 19, 2008. OVER TIME, THE ROLL GEAR PIN'S MOUNTING ATTACHMENT COULD BREAK.

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 AND 2009 F650 GS AND F 800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 27, 2007 THROUGH MARCH 30,2009. THE DRIVE CHAINS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PRODUCED TO SPECIFICATION. AS A RESULT, OVER TIME THE DRIVE CHAIN COULD BREAK

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2005 THROUGH 2007 R 1200 GS ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM DECEMBER 7, 2005 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 26, 2007. THE FUEL TANK FRONT ATTACHMENT BOLTS CAN WORK LOOSE ALLOWING THE BOLTS TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE FORK LEG IF THE HANDLEBAR IS
    TURNED A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 THROUGH 2009 R 1200 AND K 1200 SERIES MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 2006 THROUGH MAY 2009. DUE TO THE CURRENT ROUTING OF THE FRONT BRAKE LINES, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT DURING RIDING, AND THEREFORE ASSOCIATED VIBRATION. THE BRAKE LINES COULD BE UNDER STRAIN. IF THE VIBRATION/STRAIN IS SIGNIFICANT, THE BRAKE LINE COULD SPLIT AND START TO DEVELOP A LEAK.

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2011 MOTORCYCLES. THE BEARINGS COULD BE SUBJECT TO CORROSION. THIS COULD LEAD TO REDUCED MOVEMENT OF THE LINK LEVER. [K1200 and K1300 all variants] This is also known as the Dog Bone rear suspension link failure. On failure, the rear suspension completely collapses leading to instantaneous rear tire rubbing on the subframe and very possible lockup. There is no prior warning and it'll happen in a split second. This particular recall is an important one in my opinion.

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2008 THROUGH 2010 F 650 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 11, 2008, THROUGH DECEMBER 8, 2009. A WASHER MAY INTERFERE WITH THE FRONT DISC BRAKE FASTENERS' TORQUE. AS A RESULT, OVER TIME, A FASTENER OR MUTIPLE FASTENERS COULD BECOME LOOSE, ALLOWING THE BRAKE DISC TO BECOME LOOSE.
    Last edited by CanaganD; 02-14-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Bike
    unicycle
    thanks. these are all recalls from 2010. me thinks my rt has all the recalls done (had two done last year).

ditto on the final drive. there is a thread on advrider that NHTS is investigating bmw final drive failures.

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by pika View Post
    thanks. these are all recalls from 2010. me thinks my rt has all the recalls done (had two done last year).

ditto on the final drive. there is a thread on advrider that NHTS is investigating bmw final drive failures.
    That thread is on here somewhere.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    unicycle
    ah. didn't know that.

on another note, I always find it laughable what the authorities fine these large corporations, and think that it will actually make a difference. BMW is probably looking at that 3 million dollar fine and thinking, great, we saved 30 mill, and it only cost us 3. somebody is getting a bonus!

Bike
    It's a marvel of engineering
    I've been informed about any recalls by my BMW service advisor. Those that own BMW's should probably ask their service advisor if there are any active service bulletins for their vehicles. I don't need to ask mine. He's informs me of them when I either book the appointment, or show up for the service.

Cheers,
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your shirt @ 70mph can double your vocabulary

Registered User Array fish_antlers's Avatar
    Bike
    itali-scrap
    made in PRC strikes again

Bike
    unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I've been informed about any recalls by my BMW service advisor. Those that own BMW's should probably ask their service advisor if there are any active service bulletins for their vehicles. I don't need to ask mine. He's informs me of them when I either book the appointment, or show up for the service.

Cheers,
    I'm sure the issue arises when the many bmw (bike and car) owners who do not take their vehicles to the dealer for service (which is their god given right!!!) are not informed of the recalls. You must have an amazing service adviser if he calls you up out of the blue to tell you about recalls that pop up.

However, if you don't ride your bike much, and the period between service appointments are long, I for one would want bmw to let me know that there is something faulty with my brakes, instead of waiting for a service adviser to let me know the next time my bike is due for service.

In fact, I might be pissed off enough about it to post a thread on here complaining about the dealer who knew about a possibly fatal fault with my bike, and didn't let me know for months, while I was riding around on a ticking time bomb!!!

Bike
    2001 CBR F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    The fines will be paid into the Treasury Department’s general fund.
    ... and will be spent in seconds.

Registered User Array ParkJunkie's Avatar
    Bike
    old: 2002 Yamaha R6, new: '06 gsxr 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_T View Post
    ... and will be spent in seconds.
    hahah at least they're doing some kind of cost recovery that isn't from the individual!
    4 posts, 1 ride, 1 crash. That's a good ratio right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    If your passenger can feel you shift ..you suck .

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Recalls are sometimes ordered by the CDOT and sometimes they are voluntarily announced by the manufacturer. Subaru, for example, has only had ONE recall in its Canadian history that was ordered by the CDOT....all the rest have been voluntary. Dealerships are advised of the recall and a list of affected Vin's are sent to them. Simultaneously, a recall announcement letter is sent to each affected vehicle's owner to the address on file. If the Customer has moved and not changed their address or a change of address was not entered into the Dealership's DMS, then the Customer will not get a letter. Service departments LOVE recalls. Why? Because it gets a Customer's vehicle back into their Service Department.
    When a Customer takes his/her vehicle into a Dealership for a service or repair, any outstanding recalls will show up right away on their DMS system (ADP, R&R, PBS, whatever) and the recall(s) will be performed on that vehicle while it's in the shop.