Crisis of conscience - Noob bike buyer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crisis of conscience - Noob bike buyer

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES

Crisis of conscience - Noob bike buyer

So I'm selling off my beloved Speedy. 1050 ccs of ass-puckering, arm-wrenching, wheel-lofting fury. This bike is a demon.
    Had a serious offer today on it, but the buyer is obviously a noob. From the questions, comments and "inspection" of the bike, I could tell they hadn't been riding long at all.
    This is NOT a bike for noobs. I almost feel like I shouldn't sell it to them, because I would feel completely guilty if they smeared themselves across the grill of a semi.
    I know, there are lots of examples of new riders doing just fine on litre bikes, but there are even more stories about over-ambitious riders flying off into the rhubarb ...
    But that being said, the bike market is pretty soft, even for well-priced rides.
    So thoughts? Comments? Would you sell a rocket to a noob with an itchy trigger finger?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array fish_antlers's Avatar
    Bike
    itali-scrap
    If someone in this economy offers you cash for something as depreciable as a motorcycle and it's for the amount you want, yer nuts not to take it.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Sure, sell it, though you should attempt to instill as much fear / respect for the bike as possible, coupled with endless anecdotes and youtube vids of folks overstepping their bounds and tarnishing shiny new bikes. Riding a litrebike is _not_ an instant death sentence per-se, and besides - chances are very good that if he can't respect the bikes power and use it wisely, the rcmp will step in and take it away from him anyways
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Story time. 6 years ago:

Buddy had a damned mint redish orangish CBR 900 Fireblade. He was selling to get a Husky. Buyer had never ridden before, so his buddy was going to ride it for him.

My friend called me to tell me he had sold the bike! Awesome! It was the same day we were going to the motorcycle show. So I drove to my friends house to pick him up.

1.5 blocks from my friends house, I see two guys standing over a parked Fireblade. It was slightly different, the fairings were completely rashed up. Obviously, they'd crashed it. It was going for $4000 at the time. A perfect bargain considering it was pretty much in perfect condition.

1.5 blocks man.

As much as I hate to say it, I'll sell my bikes to noobs. But I'll give em an earful about everything. In fact, I'm almost certain my first 600cc bike (a full red CBR 600 F2) is no longer with us... dude buying had no clue, didn't even go for a test ride.

Unregistered Abuser Array Jimbo31's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 Street Triple R
    tell him you imported the bike and its right hand drive, that'll throw him off. Or suggest training wheels? Problem solved!
    2003 R6
    2007 D675
    2012 STR
    4 cylinders is one too many

oh no, i've been spotted! Array Chyort's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 GSX-R 600 with the fuckin white rims, bitch!
    If you've ever dreamed of getting away with murder, this is your chance. And you make a few beans.

Registered User Array fish_antlers's Avatar
    Bike
    itali-scrap
    Y'all need to separate business from riding.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Just sell the bike, he may be a newb, and very green, but it does not mean he's an idiot.

There are not a ton of people who want THAT bike, it's unique, take the money and run.

You can rest comfy knowing you sold a very nice bike at a fair price, and that's all you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    The Mighty One
    I wouldn't be scrutinizing everyone's riding resume that came to look at a bike.....maybe if a request to test ride came up but I think it's a tad silly to feel responsible for screening prospective buyers for their ability to handle your bike.

just having fun Array
    Bike
    not red
    i'm sorry but i almost think that the reason you started this thread is to give more exposure to your bike (which is ok). honestly i have no other explanation. are you serious??? what's next, are you going to help the buyer wipe their own a..... ?

so every time i went to buy things like car, while not having licence yet, mitre saw, brad nailer or the like i should have expected strong discouragement? after all i am a woman and blonde so we all know that means

never mind, i forgot we are in canada where we need to hold everyone's hand.
    don't click here

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    When I sold my Vstrom 650, and the kid geared up, and let the clutch out the first time, about to
    ride off into the sunset, he was SO unsteady, and clearly green, that I truly was concerned he may
    run into trouble taking the bike home. But, until that instance, where I said ride safe, and waved bye,
    I had no idea his skills were so lacking.

The point is, you cannot judge a book by it's cover, yes, SO cliche, but very true. He may just be overly
    cautious, and if he's somewhat new to riding, that may work to his benefit with a bike like yours.

Either way, talk is cheap, and until he puts a certified cheque or pile of greenbacks in your hand, the decision
    is not really in your court anyway, it's his.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    I can understand your dilemma, especially since I also own a Speedy and know how hard it is to ride in a "restrained" matter. Having said that, I share the perspective of others who have said that it is not your problem whether the rider soon bins it or not. He or she is an adult and can make his or her own decisions about how he or she rides.
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    Why you gotta call me a noob in the internetz

sell it
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    Hien, you such a NOOB! lol
    Honestly, this had nothing to do with "getting more exposure" for my bike. It gets plenty on its own.
    I seriously was hesitating about selling to someone who, quite possibly, could get themselves in a LOT of trouble very quickly. I'd feel a little responsible.
    I guess that makes me a person who values his morals as much as money.
    When someone asks earnest questions (ie: not joking) like "This the brake or the shifter?" ... it tends to be very clear they don't know a lot.
    But I agree with the majority of you ... sell the bike, just be VERY clear how dangerous it can be in the wrong hands. Case closed.

just having fun Array
    Bike
    not red
    if you knowingly do something immoral that causes someone to suffer and you can sleep at night that’s lack of conscience. if you openly disclose the truth only to have people ignore it and consequently suffer from their own stupidity – there is nothing you can do about. good luck with the sale!
    don't click here