Windy Ridge: DH#2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windy Ridge: DH#2

Registered User CanadianBird is on a distinguished road CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

Windy Ridge: DH#2

I'm planning a three day ride with a few Birdies and Windy Ridge is one of our desinations. Has anyone ridden there? Destination Highways map is our source. FYI, it's the E side of Spirit Lake from Mnt St Helens. There are a few other good rides on the way. I'm wondering if any member has ridden down to and including Windy Ridge. Highway 25 then turn West on 99. It's an out and back road. Thanks Sorry I'm not tech enough to do a google map route:-(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOHJ4XVHU8I
    Last edited by CanadianBird; 03-29-2012 at 06:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

User, Registered Daemon is on a distinguished road Daemon's Avatar
    Bike
    VFR800
    I rode those last year. The road going south from Randle to Cougar is great for twisties but there are some wicked bumps in places (often in corners) which can launch you if you take a wrong line. The Windy Ridge road is Nirvana with its tight twisties and spectacular views of Mt. St. Helens. IMHO, these are some of the best roads for twisties in the PNW. The roads near Mt. Rainier are also nice.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    I've done it a couple times on bikes and in cars. Great ride, road can be a little rough in spots though, well worth it, don't hesitate to go.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

backslider K-rod is on a distinguished road K-rod's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Is it open yet, tho?

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    No, I don't think it's open yet. We'll go either in July or August. My riding friend has a son in school so he'll wait till he's out and he'll go to family ranch in Merit. I think Sept is the best month but I'm taking my wife to California then so most likely it's summer. There are some twisty roads prior to Windy Ridge that we want to ride also. Highway #123 over Chinook Pass and Cayuse Pass, #706 through Paradise DH9 TE 8 through to Longmire then connect via #52(DH9 TE-A to Parkwood. then down to Randle. In truth one needs a DH Map to see the routes and designations. That's the plan. It appears as a jet down I5, 405 then make our way down 169 to Enemclaw. Then 410 till it meets 123 DH9.

+1 schmii is on a distinguished road schmii's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    I tried to go there memorial day (end of last year) and windy ridge / and the connector south of the turn-off was still closed due to snow. You'll probably need early june for a clear ride. The road coming from the north can have frost heaves big enough to toss you out of your seat. I think my bike bottomed out on one dip with me standing on my pegs. The approach from the south was smooth but there's a huge elevation change.

The trip from the north is interesting. The land transitions from a fairly warm flat lifeless plain. You take a hill that goes forever as you twist and turn along a narrow road with thickening plant growth. The plantation will be become thick overhead as you head towards windy ridge. As you get closer to helens the land will transition from lush old-growth to rigid decimation. You are soon above the valley can see forever in all directions and it's all natural.

Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. Tube Vids IBA#42642

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Thanks. I'm interested in the route you took from Van. How long did it take you to get there and did you go down #9 from Sumas and make your way from Sedro Wooley? Did you ride S and around to Castlerock and ride to Mnt St Helens? As I wrote, probly not very successfully b/c of lack of a map, there are some twisty roads on the way to Windy Ridge we'd like to ride.

Registered User kawiPG is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Concours 14 ABS 2010
    Hey C-Bird
    A few of us did this ride as day 1 of a seven Day ride. We rode the I-5 to Enmamclaw Wa. The Km for the day was about 650 KM. We stayed overnight in Cascade Locks. It was a great day of riding.
    Here is the link
    http://g.co/maps/m7c44

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Thanks. I'm interested in the route you took from Van. How long did it take you to get there and did you go down #9 from Sumas and make your way from Sedro Wooley? Did you ride S and around to Castlerock and ride to Mnt St Helens? As I wrote, probly not very successfully b/c of lack of a map, there are some twisty roads on the way to Windy Ridge we'd like to ride.
    Get ur map out...

Get anyway you want to Enumclaw, then go...

South to Buckley, South Prarrie, Electon on 162,
    Then over to 161 and continue south via Eatonville, LA Grande and Elbe to Mortin via 7.
    Then east on 12 to Randle, then south 131/NF25 to NF99, then west to Windy Ridge.
    Return on 99 to 25 and continue south to NF90, where you can decide to go west to I5 or south to Carson...

I'd go south to Carson and like KawiPG overnight at Cascade Locks or where ever your heart desires... a great day for sure.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Gentlemen, thanks very much. I've traced it all on the DH map and it all looks good. The decision is to follow that suggestion or take 410 SE and ride DH9(check your map:-)) and ride through Packwood to Randle then S on 25. It's all good. Thanks again. It reads like a great ride. Cheers .As I've done many times, I highly recommend Destination Highway maps and if you want, the book.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Quote Originally Posted by kawiPG View Post
    Hey C-Bird
    A few of us did this ride as day 1 of a seven Day ride. We rode the I-5 to Enmamclaw Wa. The Km for the day was about 650 KM. We stayed overnight in Cascade Locks. It was a great day of riding.
    Here is the link
    http://g.co/maps/m7c44
    Excellent map, and you rode the roads I'm thinking of. I like the satalite images! Thank you very much.

+1 schmii is on a distinguished road schmii's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    I went up baker, around sudden valley lake, stayed near a port town. Up early, neah point, long bridge to OR then up the south end to helens then through ranier to sleep somewhere near tacoma. The third day was up stevens pass and back through the cascades for a weekend.

You might want to extend the ride beyond a weekend.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ht=windy+ridge

day 1 day 2 day 3
    Last edited by schmii; 03-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. Tube Vids IBA#42642

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Thanks, schmii, excellent report. Hope my Penske and Racetec is up for the bumps. As well as my 67 year old bod. I appreciate all the help.

Registered User old guy is on a distinguished road old guy's Avatar
    Bike
    1946 indian chiefXX
    hey C-bird, been to Mt SAt Helen's area many times in the last 20 years.up untill about 6-8 yeras ago the road from Randle to Cougar and thru to Woodland was race track smooth and twisty top to bottom, since then they've had some heavy frost winters and landslides that have not been kind to the road, and the repairs have been more patches than outright re-dos.It's still agreat ride just not 'the' destination it used to be. There's no good way to get to Enumclaw but from there, Silver D's route sounds good. The 410 around Mt Rainier is senic but road condition is pretty rough in itself AND watch for the Rangers in their green jeeps, they have no sense of humour.Windy Ridge itself is one of the highlight roads.The bottom half is great , in the trees and good pavement, then you pop out into the blast area and you'd think you were on the moon.It has grown back gradually but 20 yeras ago it was amazing. make sure you take some time at the top and listen to the Rangers talk about the blast, hard to believe. Have a good ride just be aware of the frost heaves, some 6" deep and 6' across.

Posing with conviction heisenberg9 is on a distinguished road heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Schmii's got it right.

It may be fixed by now but there have been some VERY rough sections going in if you take the route from the north. The kind where your ballsack gets pounded irrevocably into the tank and it could happen more than a few times. Route from the south that SilverD has mentioned is way more theatrical in the way you are revealed to the shock and awe that you experience as you enter the Windy Ridge area. Mount Saint Helens is a special place and you want to do it right.

If you search the archives here back quite a ways, you will find a good number of threads on this trip.

+ Reply to Thread