Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport touring bike recommendations

Registered User Phoenix_137 is on a distinguished road Phoenix_137's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4

Sport touring bike recommendations

I have wanted to get a sport touring bike for a while but have never been able to get in the saddle to actually try a lot of them so I'm looking for my fellow riders suggestions. The only bike I've owned was a CBR600F4 which was a great bike but after about an hour my wrists would starting getting sore so I never did any long rides. I've always wanted to travel across Canada but the CBR just wouldn't do it for me.

I've always liked the Ducati ST4 but I know there are the Honda VFR800, BMW 1200, and a few others. My preference would be to have hard luggage options for the bike.

Looking for recommendations, the good, the bad, and hopefully not the ugly.

thxs
    "Just let it be"
    Why do bad things happen to good people?
    Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

On a soapbox Mechanic is on a distinguished road Mechanic's Avatar
    Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    ST1300ABS - I know where there's a minter for sale

Blackbird CBR1100XX -smoooth as butter, and quick.
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Registered User CanadianBird is on a distinguished road CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Of course my choice is with the Mechanic. CBR1100XX SuperBlackBird. They are still available often low milage out of the States. Very user friendly and modable. The engine is "bullet proof" and good for 200,000+kms on the same cam chain. Has Honda's electrical gremlins, easily fixable.

Beer League Racer/Asshole SnoDragon is on a distinguished road SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Ducati Multistrada MTS1200S (2010 or newer). The most fantastic bike I've ever had the pleasure to throw a leg over.
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Do you want more sport or more tour in your sport tourer?

Budget?

New or used?
    Last edited by gripnrip; 06-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Registered User mike_123 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Bike
    2010 fjr 1300
    your options in your poll are all over the map for a sport tourer
    you need to figure out whats important to yourself before you figure out what the right bike is for you

i own a 2010 fjr and love it with the rifle windshield and a good seat
    next choice for me would have been the concours but the 2010s just didnt feel as nimble as the fjr
    bmw was also a contender but price and the shitty shaft drive ruled that out
    st1300 was an option but they are butt ugly once those bags come off and the power felt to be lacking a bit
    sprint st was an awsome bike but i wanted more of a tourer and that felt sportier then i wanted
    vfr was still to hard on the wrists and no wind protection plus you needed to purchase the luggage still

for me i wanted comfort handling power good wind protection for an all day comfortable ride with hard bags that come off with ease and i can still use it as an everyday sport bike
    the fjr delivers that right out of the box pretty much

Moderator CHIA is on a distinguished road CHIA's Avatar
    Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Go look at the bikes, and sit on them, etc, a poll with strangers choosing won't tell you jack shit, waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

:D slingshot is on a distinguished road slingshot's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
    ^ What he said, plus, your options are all quite spendy and you left out an excellent option in not considering the V-Stroms. Depending on how much touring you've done, you may be better served getting *any* touring bike and doing a few trips to see if it's even something you want to pursue for longer than one season too. If the bug bites, you can always make the big dollar touring bike purchase a season or two later when you have figured out what your personal preferences and needs are.
    The Monday Gelato ride is no longer being maintained on BCSB. Go to the /MondayGelato group on Facebook to find out why. The ride is still going and we average 30-50 riders every week.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    Ducati Multistrada MTS1200S (2010 or newer). The most fantastic bike I've ever had the pleasure to throw a leg over.
    +1.....there's a reason why you can't find a used one for sale, everyone loves them!

Registered User Phoenix_137 is on a distinguished road Phoenix_137's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. The poll is for bikes that I've read reviews on and like the styling of. I like to see what others are saying. If everyone votes for a VFR you can be sure I'm going to take a really good look at it, but of course try them first. To answer a few questions. I'm looking for more of a upright bike, something I could do 10 hours on with good wind protection.
    "Just let it be"
    Why do bad things happen to good people?
    Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom

That new bike smell mondocycle is on a distinguished road mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    I got just under 2k on my 2012, you are not exaggerating, what a wicked bike.

OP should try the demo at BMW Ducati in Vancouver.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Moderator Mighty Kentor is on a distinguished road Mighty Kentor's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    '99 - '01 VFR800's are one of the best bikes ever made. Of the bikes you've selected, that's what I'd chose.

This one looks nice: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...021554071.html
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. Deuce is on a distinguished road Deuce's Avatar
    Bike
    Whatever I can borrow
    Get the Triumph. Great power, reliability and sound. Don't touch the Ducati or Beemers unless they have some sort of extended warranty.
    Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Sign

Beer League Racer/Asshole SnoDragon is on a distinguished road SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by mondocycle View Post
    I got just under 2k on my 2012, you are not exaggerating, what a wicked bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    +1.....there's a reason why you can't find a used one for sale, everyone loves them!
    Yep. Those who know, know. I'm an owner, and I know. You know?
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

backslider K-rod is on a distinguished road K-rod's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Yep. Those who know, know. I'm an owner, and I know. You know?

no ...

+ Reply to Thread