Utah? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Utah?

Registered User doser is on a distinguished road doser's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by rgm View Post
    I forgot to mention, if you can, ride highway 395 south from Pendleton over Battle Mountain. Beautiful scenery and a fantastic road.
    heck, if the trip wasn't about visiting Utah, but was about riding the best roads, you wouldn't have to leave northeastern Oregon at all!
    Ride fast if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime.
    (with apologies to Edward Whymper; from Scrambles Amongst the Alps, 1871.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User David Morrow is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha FJR
    This may be a bit too far east but, I'd head for Logan, Ut and then east on 89 - great canyon roads. SE on Hwy 30 and head towards Rock Springs, Wyoming. South on 191 will take you through Flaming Gorge and to Vernal, Ut. From Vernal, head south on 139 to Grand Junction, Co and then west on 141 to Moab. 141 is deadly quiet and fabulous roads and scenery. I ride much of this route nearly every year and always look forward to going back.
    SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)

Registered User CanadianBird is on a distinguished road CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Dave, do you stay in Moab? Funky town, at least it was in '88.:-) Riding on the slick rock etc.

Registered User David Morrow is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha FJR
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Dave, do you stay in Moab? Funky town, at least it was in '88.:-) Riding on the slick rock etc.
    I've stayed there twice in the last 3 years but it was not the highlight of my ride. It happened to be in the right place at the end of the day. I found surprisingly little there unless you're into off road stuff. Maybe try an ATV rental ? Otherwise, it was just a place to sleep. But, google ahead and check for rates. In 2011 we bypassed Moab because all of the motel rates were so high and that was in early October. Must have been some local event happening. North of Moab is Arches National Park. That is picture perfect Utah. Keep your camera handy.

I just remembered that the route between Moab, Hanksville, Escalante, and Panguitch is a stunner. Especially around Lake Powell / Glen Canyon. I think this month's Rider Mag has a writeup on it.

Also check the roads east of Moab. You can make a fabulous one day clockwise loop from Moab to Grand Junction, Co, Durango, and back to Moab.

One year, at a Mexican restaurant in Moab, I ate a MOAB - Mother Of All Burrito's. I can still feel the lump in my guts.
    SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)

User, Registered Daemon is on a distinguished road Daemon's Avatar
    Bike
    VFR800
    I did these roads a few days ago on my way from Las Vegas to Denver, and they were fantastic! If you get bored of the endless sweepers punctuated by tight twisties, then the spectacular scenery will keep you engaged. A definite must if you are in that area.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Moderator Mighty Kentor is on a distinguished road Mighty Kentor's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I'm doing this same trip in July!
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Tai-Pan XdtesZombie is on a distinguished road XdtesZombie's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I did these roads a few days ago on my way from Las Vegas to Denver, and they were fantastic! If you get bored of the endless sweepers punctuated by tight twisties, then the spectacular scenery will keep you engaged. A definite must if you are in that area.
    Thanks for the map I was looking at those same roads the other day.
    Definitely on my list
    Smoke em if you got em!

can't decide hols is on a distinguished road hols's Avatar
    Bike
    trumpy
    Was there a write up and photos from this trip? Id be very interested in it!

Moderator Mighty Kentor is on a distinguished road Mighty Kentor's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I've been back for 2 weeks from my Utah trip. Will have to take some time to download the photo's and post up.

Reformatted to fit your screen.

can't decide hols is on a distinguished road hols's Avatar
    Bike
    trumpy
    Choice

+ Reply to Thread