• I have 2pc leathers

Votes: 151 51.0%
  • I have both 1pc & 2pc lethers

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • I only purchased the leather jacket

Votes: 48 16.2%
  • I only purchased the pants

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • pfffft...leathers. I like the wind rushing past my crack!!! SAVE the ANIMALS, ride NAKED!!!

Votes: 33 11.1%

2pc VS. 1pc Leathers...

8K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  Mechanic 
#1 ·
Just curious as to how many of you chose 1pc over 2pc leathers and why?

Or if you're loaded and bought both 1 and 2 pc suits...

#2 ·
I had a 2pce suit when I used to ride on the street and now I have a 1pce for the track.

If i were only street riding, 2pce is definitely the way to go because you can unzip the jacket from the pants when you stop for lunch or whatever. Also a 2pce is a lot easier to get out of, as I need someone else there to pull on my sleeve to get me out of my 1pce.

#3 ·
Ah yes, the buddy system for removing leather garments. Only seen at finer race tracks and certain seedy bars in areas of San Fransisco.... :D

I've got a two piece because I couldn't find a one piece (within the budget) that fit in time for my track school.

On the street I have a couple of jackets to go with my leather pants. One of the jackets zips across the middle of the back only.

#4 ·
I bought a one piece cause it was really cheap but am shopping for the bottom half of a two piece that I have the jacket for. It looks awfully silly going into a resturant and not being able to take your jacket off. I'm still willing to embarace myself if it's for a long ride for the extra safety. Anyone have a pair of pants for the JR speedmaster suit?

#5 ·
I went for the 2 piece so that I can wear just the jacket if I want to, which I find myself doing quite often if I'm just going to run some errands or whatever. Plus you can just wear the jacket when you're not riding because looks hardcore. haha :)

#7 ·
I agree with TeeTee and SMZ's comments...I wanted a 1-pce, but couldn't find one within budget. I ended up getting a 2-pce as a result, and found that it was much better for street riding for lunch stops, etc. But if I were to go track-only, then I'd probably get a 1-pce...especially since my 2-pce is starting to look pretty ghetto. :p

G
#10 ·
I bought a one piece suit over 10 years ago. It needs a replacement, which will also be a one piece suit. Used for street only, ergo sized a bit more comfortably. I'm talking custom here, so don't know the 'fit' of off the rack.

I went for one piece based on a lot of hearsay from friends and aquaintances on comfort and utility.

That said, none of my buds who have 2 pieces _EVER_ use the jacket only. They unzip the jacket and let it hang in restaurants as opposed to removing it. I'd do the same with my one piece, ie unzip and let hang off. Also, always wore light gym shorts under, so would just pull them right off if I wanted to :).

:rider

#11 ·
oscarthegrouch said:
I bought a one piece suit over 10 years ago. It needs a replacement, which will also be a one piece suit. Used for street only, ergo sized a bit more comfortably. I'm talking custom here, so don't know the 'fit' of off the rack.

I went for one piece based on a lot of hearsay from friends and aquaintances on comfort and utility.

That said, none of my buds who have 2 pieces _EVER_ use the jacket only. They unzip the jacket and let it hang in restaurants as opposed to removing it. I'd do the same with my one piece, ie unzip and let hang off. Also, always wore light gym shorts under, so would just pull them right off if I wanted to :).

I think that's the attaction with 2 piece, not necessarily that you can use the jacket only (I never do) but that you can unzip the jacket and walk around, eat a meal, sit back and relax without having the sleeves of 10 lbs of leather uppers tied around your waist, as ppl who wear 1pc often have to do.

Its nice to remove the jacket to sit at a restaurant, or basically sit anywhere without the massive bulk of your leathers in the small of your back.

Obviously this doesn't apply for track days, but how many of us do regular track days, as opposed to the usual routine of ride somewhere, eat and talk for an hour or more and then either ride back or ride some more.

G
#13 ·
Oh, besides comfort etc., forgot to mention that one of the reasons I bought one piece in the first place was to FORCE the issue of always having leather on my legs instead of denim.

I've been doing denim (draggin' jeans - recommended, bytheway) for the last couple of seasons and will be SO glad to get the new leathers again.

As far as usage goes, I'm never in the city on my bike. For example, if I need to go downtown for any reason, I just drive, so the outfit doesn't play a role. When I used to commute with the bike to work, always did a full change of clothes anyway.

I have a nice 5XL Dry Rider one piece rainsuit, so its convenient to have it packed in the tank bag and pull it over the one piece leathers when the weather turns. Just an aside.

Cheers!

#14 ·
i bought a 1pc for street and track use and i never once regreted not getting the 2pc... like oscar said i too don't really ride in the city so it didn't make sense for me to bother with a 2pc

G
#15 ·
gixxstar said:
I bought a one piece cause it was really cheap but am shopping for the bottom half of a two piece that I have the jacket for. It looks awfully silly going into a resturant and not being able to take your jacket off. I'm still willing to embarace myself if it's for a long ride for the extra safety. Anyone have a pair of pants for the JR speedmaster suit?

Dude I don't think you can get the speed master pants in Canada the two piece is only offered in the States, but I could be wrong.

G
#16 ·
As far as I'm concerned, 2 pce. is the way to go for street riding. Hot days or you just want to wear jeans but still want to wear leather.......... give er'. Jacket only or add the pants if you're going for a rip!

#17 ·
1L Duck Eater said:
Dude I don't think you can get the speed master pants in Canada the two piece is only offered in the States, but I could be wrong.
i just bought "Speedmaster" pants and jacket from BBY Kawasaki... deal is to good to list!! both have a full 360'zipper AND an 8' zipper if not being used together. anywho, the pants are coming in on the weekend and the jacket too.

i actually brought a jacket home, but after wearing for about 30 min i realized that it was already too big and i was able to fold up "extra" leather in certain places!!

talk to the usual guys, Trevor or Brian at BBY Kawasaki for details.

G
#18 ·
One thing I don't worry about with regard to motorcycle safety apparel is 'embarrassment'. I don't buy the stuff to feel more comfortable in a restaurant or wherever, but for the purpose of riding the motorcycle. Not too concerned about how I look to the general public at any time, especially when pursuing my hobby.

On the other hand, don't really care what someone else buys either, to each his/her own. Just buy the stuff for the right reasons.

#21 ·
SILVER_6R said:
i just bought "Speedmaster" pants and jacket from BBY Kawasaki... deal is to good to list!! both have a full 360'zipper AND an 8' zipper if not being used together. anywho, the pants are coming in on the weekend and the jacket too.

i actually brought a jacket home, but after wearing for about 30 min i realized that it was already too big and i was able to fold up "extra" leather in certain places!!

talk to the usual guys, Trevor or Brian at BBY Kawasaki for details.
Thanks! I'll check them out and see if I can afford them.

#26 ·
bl1tz said:
1 piece is the way to go.
Having both is the way to go. I first purchased a JR Highside from RMS last year and realized I stop into shops alot for food, coffee or groceries. Places wre you might want to unzip or take off the jacket. This year I found a set of Teknic Thunder pants at NewEnough.com for US$100. RMS had the Teknic Chicane jacket that zips up with the pants for under $400, it also has a strap in the back to loop around the belt in you jeans to minimize draftiness. Now for around town I have the two piece, and the longer trips/hard rides I have the one piece. And If you total it up I think I spent $1200 for both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.