BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Say what you want about HD pirates....

10K views 125 replies 49 participants last post by  mondocycle 
#1 ·
.... but there sure are a lot of them on the roads while some of us Sportbike pussies are on their couches...

What's with people?? It was over 12 degrees here yesterday and I didn't see a single Sportbike on the road?

#3 ·
This is B.C. Suck it up... If you're waiting for all the snow to leave the mountains you'll be waiting a while!

Your reply reminds me of a time at work when one of these **** Southerners had to drive the "dreaded" Coq... Everyone was crowded around the computer looking at the highway web cams oooing and aaahing about saying how the guy was going to have a terrible drive through the Coq because of ALL THE SNOW!!! They were looking at piles of snow in the ditches and the highway was completely CLEAR!!! No snow was even in the forcast!!

Different world here in Southern B.C.

Some of you guys do not have a clue....

#9 ·
Touche... However not everyone who rides a Sportbike skis, so skiing isn't the first thing they think of when snow is mentioned.......

Speaking as the devils advocate...I'm sure a few of these HD guys I see on the roads have a set of skiis in the garage...

#10 · (Edited)
I was on my quad ripping up the farmers fields, does that count, lol ? Actually heard (didn't see) a HD on the local roads, first one of the season. The roads here have tons of gravel/sand on them, along with the salt solution, and some of the side roads are still snow covered. I envy the early season riders in the LM.

#12 ·
most wait for the street sweepers around here, low siding cuz you're antsy is lame. went for a dirt rip on my new 350, heading to emerg in a few to get the shoulder checked out. in fact when you consider that in the last 2 weeks i've been up to the hill 3 times, went sledding, and hit a mx track yesterday, the sport bikes in the garage can def wait til actual good weather is here and the roads are clear.

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was actually debating between a moto ride and taking the Street bike out.Gravel and sand is still on the shoulders and intersections around here... just have to keep it in mind and be a bit more alert. Brainless cagers don't expect bikes on the roads right now so if you have to take the shoulder to avoid someone you could be in trouble.

Priorities....priorities.....

I'm OK with these First World problems.... could be a hell of a lot worse!

So I'm the only one on here that doesn't hear the words "snow in the mountains" and pop a boner for skiing.... tough crowd!

#14 ·
I don't see the point on riding in cold weather on cold streets with cold tires. What am I trying to prove and who am I trying to prove this to?

I'll wait until the mountains are clear. Probably May. I won't miss out on much until then, never have.

The HD riders can have there slow cruises.

#15 ·
I guess the HD crowd could be trying to prove something... never really thought of that.... Kind of goes with the HD stereotype.

I just love to ride so making a few riding adjustments for road conditions isn't a big deal.... bonus is that riding a little more careful keeps the impound demons away...

#17 ·
I took one of the old bikes out for a ride yesterday because, like HD riders, I am happy to just putsy around town and some country roads nearby on the old bikes. On a sportbike I dont enjoy putsying around which means longer trips and usually higher elevations, so I pull out the sportbike when conditions are more suitable to better road conditions out of the valley. I guess for the same reason that an aggresive skier or snowboarder does not go skiing just because the bunny hill has snow on it.
I will say this though, a lot of HD riders really do use their bikes a lot , and you have to appreciate that even if you don't dig the bikes they ride.

#21 ·
Big difference from putting around on a cruiser than riding a sport bike in anger.
Yeah if I was on a potatoe potatoe bike I'd be doing 100 or 110 up the highway and enjoying it.
But, if I was on a GSXR 1000 I'd be hating it.
If you wanna be a posing douche riding around the city on yer RR, with 3 inch chicken strips, fill your boots, but don't JUDGE every rider who's home on the couch as a pussy.
Being a hard core sport bike riders means knowing when to ride and when not to ride.

Winter isn't the time to push tires that operate at high temps. End of discussion.

#23 ·
Wow. That's some vitriol.

Some of us see riding as more than scraping pegs in a corner. I often will ride home from work (all of 15 minutes) in december, or january, and think "man that was a great ride".

How about "the street isn't the time to push tires... period. End of discussion".

If i lived in Kamloops like some of you folks, I wouldn't ride in the winter either. Didn't we just go through this thread a few weeks ago?

#24 ·
I ride rain or shine. as long as no snow or ice. Riding year round means tailoring your riding to the road conditions and washing your bike when you get home.

''Being a hard core sport bike riders means knowing when to ride and when not to ride."

hahahahaha NOOOO it means know HOW to ride and dress according to the road and weather.
Allready put over 1000km on my bike this Month. Its either the Bike or paying waaaay too much for fuel in a truck...

So If I have a sport bike with a Harley Engine does that make me a sport bike Pirate??

#28 ·
Putting around in the rain isn't what a sport bike was designed for. Is it doable? Sure. Is it fun? Nope. I used to be a winter hero. The fad wore off. I'd rather go riding at 7am in-season when nobody is on the road than putting around at noon on a shitty day.

Also, I won't say anything about HD Pirates, but I'll just leave this here.

#43 ·
How to win friends and influence people, "riders". I don't feel guilty or envious. I enjoyed having lunch with my daughter in the sun and walking on the beach. I did however, smile at my bike as I washed my car. I guess I could gear up and ride out to UBC, what fun. Unlike most on this board, I can ride any time, any day anywhere I choose. I just don't need to do it when it's overly cold.

#57 ·
Squamish for a pose at the 'Bucks on Sunday afternoon, with my buddy Jason on his new K1300S. he claims to have stayed warm in jeans and long-johns behind the German-engineered screen and fairings, despite recently hail-wettened roads from Brittania to Squamish and a very blustery, cold, northwest wind. as for me, many layers and the 'lectric vest did the job fine. crossed paths with Warren on his R1200GS up there. got chased by showers on the way back, but they staying in the hills. and the PR3s gripped just fine, despite the cold, thank you very much...

there are early blossoms all over town - it's Spring! (now and again...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.