Would I out grow a CBR 125 too fast?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would I out grow a CBR 125 too fast?

Registered User steinbachphoto is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    n/a

Would I out grow a CBR 125 too fast?

Hi there, my name is Dustin and I'm just getting into bikes now. I'm selling my car and once that sells I'm going strictly 2 wheels.

I live in Victoria, so not much highway and the bike will be used for commuting to school and around town.

I've noticed some good deals on the 08 Honda CBR125's in town. I figured since there isn't too much highway in Victoria I may be able to get away with such a low CC bike.

But I know it's not fast and do you think I'd be kicking myself if I didn't opt for something a little bigger like a ninja 250r?

For price comparisons there's an 08' CBR125 for $1500, and 05' Ninja 250r for $2900, or an 08' Ninja 250r for $3800.

Any feedback on the pros/cons of the 125 are appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Formerly kanelupis CanaganD is on a distinguished road CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Yes

But it's all good. They're disposable bikes.

Bike
    n/a
    I guess I could buy it now. Get my confidence up. Sell it in the summer for the same price I paid or more and get myself a ninja. Would I still enjoy myself on the 125?

Formerly kanelupis CanaganD is on a distinguished road CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Well I test rode one.

0-100 kph (if the wind isn't blowing against you too hard) is about 18 seconds. Go ahead, try that in your car.

But if it's a choice between 125 vs 600 bike for you. Absolutely get the 125 to start with, then learn to maintain speed through the corners (the 125 will teach you awesome entry speed technique most ppl never learn about) and holding the line through it.
    Last edited by CanaganD; 03-12-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Bike
    n/a
    Is the acceleration linear? Or did it get to 60 and then start to slow and creep to 100?

Registered User kivyee is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    05 Sv650s
    Likelihood it won't be linear. Higher the speed, the larger to power requirement to maintain the same acceleration...and it is a pretty power limited bike. To your original question, it all depends on what you want it for. Just to commute, probably isn't so bad. For "thrills" and for carving the Island's nice winding roads, it's great to learn on, but you probably would move on to a larger bike.

Unregistered User gwilo is on a distinguished road gwilo's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    Take a look at the CBR 250 there are not may used ones out there they are a step up from the Ninja 250.

Moderator CHIA is on a distinguished road CHIA's Avatar
    Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbachphoto View Post
    I guess I could buy it now. Get my confidence up. Sell it in the summer for the same price I paid or more and get myself a ninja. Would I still enjoy myself on the 125?
    Yes, this would be, IMO, a great idea.....you probably will not lose, outside of taxes.

But, if it were my money, I'd splurge for the Ninja 250, as I think it's much more of a real
    bike, and will reduce your buying and selling hassle, by eliminating a step in the process.

Honda 125 - Great bike to learn on, and as a brand new rider, YES, you absolutely will have fun on it.

You will have fun on any bike when you first start.
    Last edited by CHIA; 03-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Dam I got old fast FZrrr is on a distinguished road FZrrr's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 fz-1
    Get the 250 Ninja, a great all around smaller bike that you can keep-up with traffic and go up hills without cars treating you like a pylon.
    New riders if they get a reasonable deal can sell 1-2 years later for 500 bucks less than they purchased for.
    Great reputation for being bullet proof, there was talk of a 250 cc' class at mission for that bike.
    Go on ADVrider.com and search 250 ninja for the American guy that took his girlfriend from the US through Mexico and down into South America on a 250 ninja without mechanical breakdown, astounding 2-up on a 250 and he bought it used to start with and still running fine when he sold it.
    The 125 Honda is like a scooter disguised as a motorcycle
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.

Registered User Pee Wee is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    I agree with the 250 NINJA option, not the CBR. CBR requires a valve inspection every service (waste of time) and the body work is a pain in the ass to remove (see $100 labour to do that alone). Too expensive for a new rider.

125 is like a bic lighter, when it runs out of gas, toss it. Great for a new riders under 85lbs, but if you've got some legs on ya, a 250 for sure. Just easy to ride, easy to sell, easier to service.

Nothing wrong mechanically with a CBR 250 thumper, I'd just rather own and service the Kawi and save some money. Used 250's are worth every penny. CBR's depreciate about 75% in a year. $4000 new, $1000 once tipped over and they all get tipped over.

BCSB Public Relations kerunt is on a distinguished road kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    I put about 11,000km on a CBR125 (my first bike) and would not recommend it. It's too weak to be ridden safely in the city or on the highway. On many highways it simply cannot keep up with traffic. Get yourself a 250 Ninja, even if that means getting a considerably older bike.
    Starbucks poses by me.

"Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Some guys just have that certain je ne c'est CHIA....
    Quote Originally Posted by 07 Yamaha R6 View Post
    Your the troller.

Unregistered User gwilo is on a distinguished road gwilo's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    One thing I did notice between the Ninja 250 and CBR 125 - 250 is that the Ninja seems a little cramped. The CBR seemed to be better suited to a taller/bigger rider.

I could be wrong that was from just sitting on them in the show room.

Registered User ParkJunkie is on a distinguished road ParkJunkie's Avatar
    Bike
    old: 2002 Yamaha R6, new: '06 gsxr 750
    That's a huge consideration too. How big are you? Chances are you'll be a lot happier on the 125 if you've got a smaller frame. If you're an average - large individual then, yes, you'll grow out of it too fast. It's a great bike to learn on, and if you buy one used you may not be as scared of dropping it (which is a good thing).
    4 posts, 1 ride, 1 crash. That's a good ratio right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    If your passenger can feel you shift ..you suck .

Bike
    n/a
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

FWIW I'm 5'9.5" with a mere 30" inseam.

Now between the Ninja 250's. is $2950 a decent price for an 05' ninja 250r(9500km)?

Or for $3780 get an 08' ninja 250r with upgraded exhaust(mileage is around the same I believe).

The one thing I see is that I can get the 05' and gear for the same price as just the 08'.

Cheaper the better being a broke student.

Is the only difference between 05' and 08' styling?

Bike
    n/a
    and 170lbs. Cutting down to 160 for race season (I do triathlons).

+ Reply to Thread