BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Would I out grow a CBR 125 too fast?

21K views 99 replies 33 participants last post by  Sinned 
#1 ·
Hi there, my name is Dustin and I'm just getting into bikes now. I'm selling my car and once that sells I'm going strictly 2 wheels.

I live in Victoria, so not much highway and the bike will be used for commuting to school and around town.

I've noticed some good deals on the 08 Honda CBR125's in town. I figured since there isn't too much highway in Victoria I may be able to get away with such a low CC bike.

But I know it's not fast and do you think I'd be kicking myself if I didn't opt for something a little bigger like a ninja 250r?

For price comparisons there's an 08' CBR125 for $1500, and 05' Ninja 250r for $2900, or an 08' Ninja 250r for $3800.

Any feedback on the pros/cons of the 125 are appreciated!

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, this would be, IMO, a great idea.....you probably will not lose, outside of taxes.

But, if it were my money, I'd splurge for the Ninja 250, as I think it's much more of a real
bike, and will reduce your buying and selling hassle, by eliminating a step in the process.

Honda 125 - Great bike to learn on, and as a brand new rider, YES, you absolutely will have fun on it.

You will have fun on any bike when you first start.

#4 · (Edited)
Well I test rode one.

0-100 kph (if the wind isn't blowing against you too hard) is about 18 seconds. Go ahead, try that in your car.

But if it's a choice between 125 vs 600 bike for you. Absolutely get the 125 to start with, then learn to maintain speed through the corners (the 125 will teach you awesome entry speed technique most ppl never learn about) and holding the line through it.

#6 ·
Likelihood it won't be linear. Higher the speed, the larger to power requirement to maintain the same acceleration...and it is a pretty power limited bike. To your original question, it all depends on what you want it for. Just to commute, probably isn't so bad. For "thrills" and for carving the Island's nice winding roads, it's great to learn on, but you probably would move on to a larger bike.

#9 ·
Get the 250 Ninja, a great all around smaller bike that you can keep-up with traffic and go up hills without cars treating you like a pylon.
New riders if they get a reasonable deal can sell 1-2 years later for 500 bucks less than they purchased for.
Great reputation for being bullet proof, there was talk of a 250 cc' class at mission for that bike.
Go on ADVrider.com and search 250 ninja for the American guy that took his girlfriend from the US through Mexico and down into South America on a 250 ninja without mechanical breakdown, astounding 2-up on a 250 and he bought it used to start with and still running fine when he sold it.
The 125 Honda is like a scooter disguised as a motorcycle

#10 ·
I agree with the 250 NINJA option, not the CBR. CBR requires a valve inspection every service (waste of time) and the body work is a pain in the ass to remove (see $100 labour to do that alone). Too expensive for a new rider.

125 is like a bic lighter, when it runs out of gas, toss it. Great for a new riders under 85lbs, but if you've got some legs on ya, a 250 for sure. Just easy to ride, easy to sell, easier to service.

Nothing wrong mechanically with a CBR 250 thumper, I'd just rather own and service the Kawi and save some money. Used 250's are worth every penny. CBR's depreciate about 75% in a year. $4000 new, $1000 once tipped over and they all get tipped over.

#46 ·
my buddy is thinking of selling his 2010 ABS version to get something bigger this year. Not tipped over either. Recon it'd go for a bit more than $1000.

#11 ·
I put about 11,000km on a CBR125 (my first bike) and would not recommend it. It's too weak to be ridden safely in the city or on the highway. On many highways it simply cannot keep up with traffic. Get yourself a 250 Ninja, even if that means getting a considerably older bike.

#12 ·
One thing I did notice between the Ninja 250 and CBR 125 - 250 is that the Ninja seems a little cramped. The CBR seemed to be better suited to a taller/bigger rider.

I could be wrong that was from just sitting on them in the show room.

#13 ·
That's a huge consideration too. How big are you? Chances are you'll be a lot happier on the 125 if you've got a smaller frame. If you're an average - large individual then, yes, you'll grow out of it too fast. It's a great bike to learn on, and if you buy one used you may not be as scared of dropping it (which is a good thing).

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys!

FWIW I'm 5'9.5" with a mere 30" inseam.

Now between the Ninja 250's. is $2950 a decent price for an 05' ninja 250r(9500km)?

Or for $3780 get an 08' ninja 250r with upgraded exhaust(mileage is around the same I believe).

The one thing I see is that I can get the 05' and gear for the same price as just the 08'.

Cheaper the better being a broke student.

Is the only difference between 05' and 08' styling?

#16 ·
If it were me, I'd but the older one, and new gear.....the gear will be used
for future bikes, and the 05 is priced at that magic sub $3k number, which
has mass appeal when it comes to resale.

Yes, basic difference between the 2 gens is styling. In fact, FWIW, I *think*
the previous gen is faster.......I use that term lightly, haha.

At 160lbs, which most of these bikes are made for, you will really have fun on the 250.

#17 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm choked, last Thursday there was a 05 Ninja 250r from Vancouver Island Safety Council, it was one of their on road training bikes(not parking lot), going for $1600.
My car hasn't sold yet so I don't directly have the funds so I hesitated and missed it.

#20 ·
Here are some informative links you can go over, and then make an informed decision...

http://cmgonline.com/2007/12/honda-cbr125r-test-ride-the-cmg-six/

http://cmgonline.com/2011/06/honda-cbr250r-long-term-update-1/

http://cmgonline.com/2011/04/honda-cbr250r-track-impressions/

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/9134/motorcycle-article/honda-cbr250r-vs-kawasaki-ninja-250r.aspx

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/review-2008-kawasaki-ninja-250r-75782.html

I ride a 2011 CBR 250R, I'm 5'11" weigh 185 lbs and have had my bike up to 135 kph on the Sea to Sky... I don't care what anybody says, on a small bike like the Ninja or CBR thats damned fast! Either bike is a great choice for a beginner. Still read the reviews and then make your choice.

Good luck and good bargain hunting, and remember 'Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!'

Cheers! -=*L*=-

#21 ·
I ride a 2011 CBR 250R, I'm 5'11" weigh 185 lbs and have had my bike up to 135 kph on the Sea to Sky... I don't care what anybody says, on a small bike like the Ninja or CBR thats damned fast! Either bike is a great choice for a beginner. Still read the reviews and then make your choice.
Agreed. I ride a ninja 250 and on a road long enough it can get up to the 135-55 range given enough time. I can't imagine a 125 on highway roads. A 250 bike can still easily get you in trouble with the law, and I'm glad I've started on it vs buying a 600 right off the bat.

#22 ·
If you can get the cbr125 for $1500, do it.

I have one and I love riding it as a commuter bike. You really have to think about what you want. You said you don't need that much highway. This bike is great for around town. If you don't need a lot of speed, it's fine. If you learn how to think ahead, it won't be too slow. In fact, I think because it makes you have to think ahead, you learn better skills safety skills because you depend on your brain and not the speed of your throttle.

I pay $27/mo on insurance and $7 a tank of gas that lasts a couple hundred kms.

#23 · (Edited)
I bought a CBR 125 because they were pretty much giving them away. It was less than half the price of a 250 and is great for riding here in town. Because it was so cheap I won't be upset if anything happens to it. It is too small for the hiway, riding it to Banff was almost painful. If you are planning on keeping it for anything more than a season or two I would suggest going for the 250, but if money is an issue pick up the 125 and ride the tires off it.

The valve check only involves removing the tank and rad bolts and it only took me about an hour start to finish. I don't know how much you plan on riding but the interval is 6000km, I'm guessing most people won't do enough to have to do it more than twice a season.

#25 · (Edited)
Any feedback on the pros/cons of the 125 are appreciated!
At the outset, if you are not heavy set, is truthful about what you have said about your needs, the CBR125R could do well for you, and thus, I would recommend that you test ride it.

The positives for the 125R are many.

Stock front brakes are excellent if you know how to keep them clean. Once the fuel system/injectors are cleaned, the power is actually decent enough. The dealer's test bike and my bike when brand new off the showroom floor were not usable. I rode the bicycles routes at first because I felt that I couldn't ride on the main roads without getting run over. Once sorted out, power was O.K. (The other bike I ride is a Bandit 1250S).

The throttle modulation is very good. There are no issues with on-off throttle jerkiness nor driveline lash. The bike is dead reliable. The battery and charging system never gave me a problem nor anything else besides the front brake lever pivot, which binds if you ride in the rain. Initially, I thought that it was due to the caliper sliding pins. A squirt of WD-40 did the trick. As to valve lash inspection, there are only two valves. An oil filter change requires no oil filter, and only one liter of motor oil. An oil change is really easy to do. Chain maintenance is as easy as it gets since I can prop up the rear wheel up with short piece of 2x4 and a very light tug. I lubricate the chain very frequently and the chain life has been excellent.

The 125R is a motorcycle that is very easy to find a parking spot for; and it is very easy to maneuver it into a parking spot.

Even when the front end washed out, I still managed to stay upright. If you ride a downhill bicycle, the 125R is not that far off. The wet weight of the 125R is around 280 lbs. whereas the Ninja 250R is around 380 lbs. Compared to most motorcycles out there, the steering is extremely quick, and the bike is very agile. However, I still pushed the stanchions up the triple clamps by about an inch to quicken the steering and improve agility. My 125R is really easy to ride. It rides like a downhill mountain bike, and to me, that is a good thing. With that kind of agility, riding in the city can be very fun. Having said that, when I ride out east on Hwy 1 towards Abbotsford or south on Hwy 99 towards the border, I can ride with the flow of traffic for the most part and make passes (note that the flow of traffic is not at the speed limit and the speed limits increase further out; strong head winds or ascending a hill will slow me down a bit, my 125R is not stock, and we are still talking about a 125cc 4-stroke). The bike is stable. I never have experienced stability problem with this bike. Although, the first time in a wind storm on top of a bridge, I was blown around. But after I figure out how to ride it, I never had that problem again. It turned out the bike was stable, but I was destabilizing it. I have ridden the 125R in wind storms while crossing bridges, or cruising on freeways without any issues. Without saying, wind buffeting from a semi beside you doesn't have to be a problem either. But beware, if you don't ride it correctly, the 125R can be blown across half a lane in a blink of an eye in a wind storm at higher road speeds.

On unfamiliar roads, sometimes one may misjudge cornering speed, or wasn't setup for it, the 125R can give you a second chance, instead of just forcing you to go wide. The chassis is very forgiving. It is still possible to make "steering" corrections, and apply firm braking in mid corner to save it. The 125R doesn't have an affinity for "standing up". The bike doesn't go wide when I brake in mid corners.

Great gas mileage. And you get to use the full rpm range on every ride.

There are some negatives. The 125R has low cost dampers, and therefore, low performing damping performance. This isn't a real problem for me since I ride in the city and is rarely affected. Shifting is not smooth nor positive after some use. Engine vibration is busy over 8500 rpm and smooths outs near redline. But the hands nor wrists really get numb like from some inline-4's. Rear view sucks; can only see elbows unless tucking them in. No clock (I know, but I like a factory clock). Every horsepower is valuable so you can't afford to squander it. At highway speeds to keep up with traffic, I keep my head low.

For myself, the more I ride it, the more I like it. And this year will be my third year on it.

#26 ·
I started with a 250r. I commute on it on a regular basis (friends, school, work, and even groceries). A lot of people say I would out-grow or get bored of it in a few months, but that was never the case for me. I think it may be due to the fact that I commute with it and it's perfect for commuting. I have the power that I need (even on the highways), cheap on gas, cheap on insurance.

However, there are times now, after 20,000+ km of commuting and occasional 'joyride' that I wish I had a 600cc, but that feeling goes away since I the 250r IS perfect for my purpose (commute). I still have fun with it outside of commuting. To be honest, the only times (as of now) that I feel like the 250r is limited is the really weak acceleration for when I get that impulse of wanting to go 0-60 asap.

Since I've been riding lately, I wish I had ABS though. The CBR250 isn't a looker imo, but I might have gone with it if I knew I was going to want ABS.

#29 ·
For "commuting to school and around town" in Victoria, a good used CBR125 should be an great fit for your needs.

The money you save on the bike & running costs could be invested into good gear and courses - which would be an excellent and prudent long-term investment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.