Thread: Best places to buy gear?

Unregistered User gwilo is on a distinguished road gwilo's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
    Nothing beats a Lada.
    Just one word "SKODA"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User hillmar is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2005 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
    Sorry im not saying that its crap. Its just that it's a personal preference that all. When i have a choice I dont buy Chinese products.

Btw. I think that he should also get some riding pants, if he doesnt have some already.
    This is pretty funny since almost everything nowadays are made in China.... I've worked in the manufacturing industry for over 11 years and I would say don't be fooled into thinking your buying German, Japanese, or even USA even if the label says so. For example... I've dismantled a Siemens Motor recently and I would say 50 percent of its internal components have the china stamped in them. Same goes for castings for industrial equipment... And even pressure guages with a USA stamp in the outside with Chinese labels or seals in the inside. I've worked with, Guages, Solenoid Coils, Hydraulics, Castings, electronics, pumps etc.... In this ever competing and cost cutting industry... You will be blown apart by your competition if you don't find ways to cut manufacturing cost.
    Last edited by hillmar; 04-09-2012 at 07:18 PM.

HD Pirate, apparently? Shmee is on a distinguished road Shmee's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 Nightrod Special
    "Made in USA/Germany/Japan" often now only means "assembled in...."

Very few things are 100% made in our country anymore, costs are just too high in the first world to produce products that can compete with 3rd world made stuff...

And don't be fooled lots of stuff made or assembled in the first world is no better than stuff from china, Malaysia, philipeans, etc....

That said, about tw only thing I'd be weary of from china and such places is food products and children's toys....
    Mitch -- 2012 HD Nightrod special - denim black, aka: "bacon"
    A bunch of fun cars too!

Registered User Longo is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2005 CBR600 RR
    Wanna bump this thread for your local motorcycle shops.
    Walked into Imperial and Modern. I notice pricing was at the very least...on par with internet pricing...if not slightly better.
    If you notice an outrageous price...don't hesitate to ask for a price match.

Factor in taxes and yea you do pay a bit more but worth it to try on gear before you buy.
    Also the cliche "supporting your local economy"

Squid Launcher Langosta is on a distinguished road Langosta's Avatar
    Bike
    SV650s street, Ninja 250r track
    I think it's one thing to support local businesses like pazzo... and it's an entirely different scenario to buy gear made in Asia that's shipped to the US before Canadian merchants make their 10-15% off you. I don't really feel bad when I choose to save money in a competitive market. Also when you shop around online, you have a lot more options.

Orange Squid darwin604 is on a distinguished road darwin604's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 899 Panigale
    Quote Originally Posted by Langosta View Post
    I think it's one thing to support local businesses like pazzo... and it's an entirely different scenario to buy gear made in Asia that's shipped to the US before Canadian merchants make their 10-15% off you. I don't really feel bad when I choose to save money in a competitive market. Also when you shop around online, you have a lot more options.
    Except when shit shows up and it doesn't fit or has some other issue and the whole process ends up taking forever / costing more in some cases. If I try something on in a local shop and decide I want it, I think it's worth the extra 15-20% to keep places around where you actually have the luxury to try stuff out. I say 15-20% because that's generally the most I've paid over online prices once I've mentioned what I can order something in for. If the price is ridiculously inflated then obviously it makes sense to order it from the US but if you're worried about 15 bucks on a pair of gloves you've picked the wrong hobby. This obviously doesn't apply to stuff that's not apparel (like bikes!) which I have a totally different view on but the lengths some people go to to save menial amounts of money is hilarious when they're riding around on a ~$10-30k toy.
    2014 899 Panigale
    2008 DRZ-400 SM
    2006 GSX-R 750 (crashed - naked Frankenstein rebuild in progress)

countdown to next crash.. Islesfan91 is on a distinguished road Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    I started buying locally, but lately I've been checking prices on canada's motorcycle and found a lot of closeout prices that were great deals.

Have a jacket coming that's a closeout and marked down from 270.00 to 89.00. The selection is larger and the pricing is great. I'd like to buy more locally, but I haven't found much pricing is comparible. If it's a 20-40.00 difference I wouldn't care, but when I can find something for 100.00 less online, well, sorry I'm mostly likely going to buy it online.

Squid Launcher Langosta is on a distinguished road Langosta's Avatar
    Bike
    SV650s street, Ninja 250r track
    Well I'd buy things locally if the differences, like you guys mentioned, was under $50. However the savings are typically much more if you're buying high-end gear. My mentality nowadays is that I'm just gonna buy the flagship model for gear online and save myself a few hundred bucks. Bought Sidi Vortice for $395 instead of $700 + tax = close to $800 in Vancouver. Kind of a no brainer even with duty, tax, etc.

I mean, I've bought a $400 jacket in a Vancouver dealership when it was going for $160 at sportbiketrackgear. I think I know my size at this point. Let the savings begin!

Bike
    2014 899 Panigale
    Yeah if there's that much of a difference then ordering it is a bit of a no-brainer. Most of my gear is pretty high-end as well but I've been pretty lucky locally I guess. When it comes to some of the blowout sales like STG has, though, I don't think any local shop can beat that - if there are still 'normal' sizes and colors left.
    2014 899 Panigale
    2008 DRZ-400 SM

Registered User Longo is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2005 CBR600 RR
    IMO, Blowout prices aren't applicable to this discussion.
    Of course you'll see huge discounts because they're older models, fugly colors and left-over sizing.
    This bargain hunting only works if you have gear already and can wait for closeout prices.

Registered User porsche77 is on a distinguished road porsche77's Avatar
    Bike
    06 CBR F4i (2013- Current) ---- 01 YZF600R - Thundercat (2011-2013)
    I bought my boots, helmet and gloves from http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/.
    I placed my order on the phone, talked to a guy called Marc. He was awesome, gave me good advice when i was confused between a couple of pair of gloves and even knocked the price down an additional $20.00. and free shipping for over $99.00. All my stuff fit perfectly, i guess i got lucky. But they have hassle free exchanges and returns too. I'll be going back to them if i need anything in future.

Life is unfair, get over it and move on!!

GSX R600 K9 vancitymike is on a distinguished road vancitymike's Avatar
    Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Quote Originally Posted by Longo View Post
    Of course you'll see huge discounts because they're older models, fugly colors and left-over sizing.
    This bargain hunting only works if you have gear already and can wait for closeout prices.
    Totaly agree with you on that. I usually wonder into local shops to look for what's on special, same thing online right?!?. I cant realy say online or local is cheaper.

Registered User Greentreena is on a distinguished road Greentreena's Avatar
    Bike
    Katana
    Stopped in at Imperial for gloves. Great customer service. Tried on about 10 pairs and left with a comfortable pair of gloves at a good price. Not much more than on line pricing. Thanks to those that made the recommendation.

Bike
    2014 899 Panigale
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentreena View Post
    Stopped in at Imperial for gloves. Great customer service. Tried on about 10 pairs and left with a comfortable pair of gloves at a good price. Not much more than on line pricing. Thanks to those that made the recommendation.
    I can vouch for Imperial. They've always been straight-shooters when I've shopped there and have offered great advice without being pushy. The tech there has been able to answer a couple questions that stumped some other shops for me too - props.
    2014 899 Panigale
    2008 DRZ-400 SM

Registered User Jonny Quest is on a distinguished road Jonny Quest's Avatar
    Bike
    2wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Longo View Post
    I've had prices matched on close out sales locally. Revzilla had my helmet marked down from $709.95 to $449.95. Modern matched it. I bought a pair of gloves with it and he beat Revzilla's price on them.

+ Reply to Thread