Why are there so many bad drivers in vancouver?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are there so many bad drivers in vancouver?

Registered User j604 is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    1998 Kawasaki Ninja zx7r

Why are there so many bad drivers in vancouver?

Isn't it mind boggling how some drivers get there license? Most don't shoulder check, some think they own the road, some just simply can't drive! Riding is so dangerous around crowded/traffic areas its not even funny anymore... RANT done!
    s

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Is that a serious question?

Largest Chinese population outside of China. People don't like stereotyping because it's true.

"Missing a few pieces!' Nine-and-a-half is on a distinguished road Nine-and-a-half's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR750r, Triumph Scrambler
    Quote Originally Posted by j604 View Post
    >snip< RANT done! <snip>
    Wow that was a pretty mellow "rant"
    No F-bombs, no name calling, no stereo typing. I think you need to review your rant and re submit it in a more appropriate format.
    After which the panel will reconvene to re-evaluate your submission without prejudice.

thanks.

9 1/2

license to chill frontside5 is on a distinguished road frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/the...764/story.html

The number of Richmond drivers getting caught running red lights at dangerous intersections has reached epidemic levels.

Figures released by ICBC on request of the News revealed a shocking 1,394 local motorists were issued tickets for running red lights last year — a massive spike of more than 600 per cent from 2010.

It’s understood that much of the incredible rise can be credited to the installation of more “intersection safety cameras” at accident hot spots around the city.

However, the five extra cameras were only put in place in November last year, indicating that the majority of the infractions happened only in the last six or seven weeks of the year.

The startling figures barely raised an eyebrow with Cpl. Kevin Lin, from Richmond RCMP’s road safety unit, who sees crazy driving on the city’s roads every day. “No, I’m not at all (surprised),” said Lin. “I knew that, because of the locations the cameras were placed, that it would probably produce numbers like this. “At the newer (locations) we are there regularly for collisions and those intersections are known for their problems.”

In 2009 and 2010, Richmond had just four intersection cameras, with a total of 242 and 230 tickets issued respectively to drivers running red lights. Last year, the number of cameras jumped to nine after the launch of a province-wide safety program initiated by the B.C. government, police and ICBC.

There were a total of 30,803 red light tickets issued across B.C. last year, a leap of around 50 per cent from the previous year, compared to Richmond’s 600 per cent increase. Aggressive driving is the main reason for the meteoric rise, according to Lin.

“People simply do not want to wait for the lights,” he said. “It really hasn’t come as that big of a surprise, as intersection crashes are a huge issue in Richmond. “We try very hard to focus our efforts on those intersections all the time.”

If the police catch you, it’s a $167 fine plus points on your license. If the camera catches you, it’s the same fine, but you usually escape points because it’s the registered owner who gets the slap, as opposed to the actual driver.

Lin said the best advice he can give to law-abiding drivers is to be “extra cautious” and be aware that there are people who are going to take chances and not always stop when they should.

But of the impatient culprits? “They will get caught at some point. They will either get caught by the cameras or by us; but they will get caught,” he added. Illegal u-turns at major intersections in Richmond are another big problem for Lin’s department. “A huge misconception in Richmond is the no u-turn at a controlled intersection, especially on No. 3 Road,” he said. “There are a few courtesy signs telling people that, but when they’re stopped by us, they complain that there wasn’t a sign. But there are no u-turns at a controlled intersection anywhere in B.C.”

The figures released by ICBC also showed that the numbers of fines issued in Richmond for distracted driving — namely, being on the phone — multiplied by more than 70 per cent last year to 1,493. And the number of tickets issued for emailing or texting while driving in the city jumped to 70 from 41 in 2010.

Intersection safety cameras in Richmond are at: Cambie and No. 5 roads; No. 3 and Blundell roads; Gilbert and Blundell roads; No. 3 Road at Westminster Highway; No. 5 Rd at Westminster Highway; Garden City Road at Westminster Highway; Alderbridge Way at Shell Road; Garden City and Cambie roads and Garden City Road at Alderbridge Way.

Wanderer of the Wastes DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    The sooner the take the steering wheel away from the meatlumps and hand it over to the computers, the better.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

license to chill frontside5 is on a distinguished road frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    The sooner the take the steering wheel away from the meatlumps and hand it over to the computers, the better.
    We'll get it eventually.

GSX R600 K9 vancitymike is on a distinguished road vancitymike's Avatar
    Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Because its Vancouver that's why. Just relax and find your inner peace. If you need to go somewhere a half an hour away leave home an hour earlier.

It has nothing to do with bad drivers, but bad urban planning. My rant is over

Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
    Because its Vancouver that's why. Just relax and find your inner peace. If you need to go somewhere a half an hour away leave home an hour earlier.

You're kidding yourself if you think that's the actual reason.

Why are Kenyans so good at running? It's not because they're trying to get to their next meal.

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post

Why are Kenyans so good at running? It's not because they're trying to get to their next meal.
    I never mentioned Kenya.

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
    ohh I don't know, and agree that bad urban planning has a lot to do with it.

Too may lights, too many pedestrian controlled lights, no synchronization of lights ( not that I can figure out anyway) not enough left turn lights...
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Quote Originally Posted by silverD View Post
    ohh I don't know, and agree that bad urban planning has a lot to do with it.

Too may lights, too many pedestrian controlled lights, no synchronization of lights ( not that I can figure out anyway) not enough left turn lights...
    There are countries with far more congestion and worse off infrastructure that doesn't have the huge percentage of abysmal drivers like the lower mainland.

Formerly kanelupis CanaganD is on a distinguished road CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Is that a serious question?

Largest Chinese population outside of China. People don't like stereotyping because it's true.
    I'm Chinese, and I support this theory. Except to add: it's primarily the mainlanders.

In China, especially with the direction the government is in to make people drive cars instead of riding bikes, people are of the mindset that bike riders are inferior poor people. Because.. well it's true in China. If you can't afford a car, you buy a motorcycle. Hence the disrespect since the car is a status symbol.

However, Chinese people don't get that it's the opposite here in the the Americas. A lot of people have a car first, and only when they have enough money, go buy a motorcycle as a toy.

Registered User j604 is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    1998 Kawasaki Ninja zx7r
    hhahaha, trust me guys, all the swearing and name calling was already done at the stupid drivers..
    s

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Ride like they are seeing you and are purposley trying to kill you. That's it.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    C'mon, Oak street for example is a fucking joke. 3 lanes wide and cars are lined up on the left lane to turn one at a time on a yellow. No wonder everyone guns it down that street.

Im not talking like its the ONLY solution, but it is part of the problem too.

+ Reply to Thread