Why are there so many bad drivers in vancouver? - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are there so many bad drivers in vancouver?

Registered User 2cans is on a distinguished road 2cans's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    Vancouver population a little more green and passive than TO. City planners, my guess, here are more society concerned. Like, talking about congestion, land usage, environemental impact, etc. In USA or larger cities, it's about how they can get people thru quicker without crashing. I can just imagine going for a drive with Vancouver's past top planners. They probably are the worse drivers. They have no idea an apex exists in a corner. They didn't notice mid bump corner chassis unsettling. And they likely turn the signal on a few seconds before they decide to look around. And that's basically how I interpet turns signals now. When I see it go on, I know for certain that person hasn't looked. It means, look out for me cause I haven't.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

That new bike smell mondocycle is on a distinguished road mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    you didnt notice lack of steering wheel on her side?

maybe you shouldnt be the one talking about people not paying attention
    I used to be renowned for my observational skills, maybe I'm slipping... I'll chalk it up to the pissing rain on my visor and the attention paid to the light and traffic approaching from the rear. WTF are people buying vehicles with steering wheels on the wrong side for anyway?
    Last edited by mondocycle; 03-20-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Bike
    bah
    Drove a Skyline awd twin turbo right hand drive. Thing was a rocket. Super fun to drive.Right hand is much easier for me to drive than I thought. I almost preferred it. Sightlines were great and since more right hand turns, usually sitting on inside of corners. But that was me. Others might not like or find as comfortable...

AdventureR BELDAR is on a distinguished road BELDAR's Avatar
    Bike
    The Great Pumpkin
    Quote Originally Posted by j604 View Post
    Isn't it mind boggling how some drivers get there license? Most don't shoulder check, some think they own the road, some just simply can't drive! Riding is so dangerous around crowded/traffic areas its not even funny anymore... RANT done!

Funny you see these same rants in almost every rider forum around the world.

Those that have driven/ridden in major cities around the world know... Vancouver is no worse than most other major cities and is actually better than some. Try driving in places like Buenos Aires, and Vancouver is like a safe little-kids park in comparison.

Blame it on poor city planning, weather, geography, or some xenophobic stereotype if you want.

Reality is... its life in a big city. Stick a coupla million people in a tight urban area… bad behaviour is almost expected.

If you can't take it or cope with it, don't ride in big cities… its not the place for you.

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Quest View Post
    I'm amazed that everyone feels so strongly about the poor drivers in Richmond and not a mention of Surrey. In my experience, the quality of driving in Surrey has become worse in Surrey. Richmond is really bad (especially parking) but driving through Surrey on any given day has become dangerous. I work early in the morning and see drunk drivers in Surrey at least 2 mornings per week. I'm also cut off at least 2-3 times per day on my commute home. It's becoming so bad I'm seriously contemplating moving back to Burnaby. I only go to Richmond about once or twice a month and usually only witness a few stupid things per trip. Nothing I wouldn't see at least a few times in a 5 minute drive through Surrey.
    There are certain parts of Surrey that are as bad if not worse than Richmond. Other areas are quite civilized. IMO, the KG/88th - KG/64th area can mean certain death during certain festival days. I won't elaborate on specific reasons why.

Steve

GSX R600 K9 vancitymike is on a distinguished road vancitymike's Avatar
    Bike
    Gixxer k9
    From the motor vehicle act:
    Yellow light 128*

(1)*When a yellow light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, following the exhibition of a green light,

(a)*the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, unless the stop cannot be made in safety,
    (b)*a pedestrian facing the yellow light must not enter the roadway, and
    (c)*a pedestrian proceeding across the roadway and facing the yellow light exhibited after he or she entered the roadway
    (i)* must proceed to the sidewalk as quickly as possible, and
    (ii)* has the right of way for that purpose over all vehicles.
    (2)*When a yellow light alone is exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
    (a)*the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before reaching the signal, unless the stop cannot be made in safety, and
    (b)*a pedestrian must not enter the roadway in the vicinity of the signal until either
    (i)* the traffic control signal facing the vehicular traffic exhibits a red light, or
    (ii)* a traffic control signal instructs the pedestrian that he or she may cross the roadway.

Registered User Infuria is on a distinguished road Infuria's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Ninja 300
    Re: Left turns on yellow

when i was learning to drive (i took Young Drivers), they told me "under no circumstance get more than one car through on a yellow, they will fail you for it". Fast forward a year, i got T-boned by a guy turning left on a yellow, and he was the 2nd car to go through (first car cut me off, i swerved to avoid him, 2nd guy clipped my rear qtr panel). Cop gave me a ticket for "running a yellow" without talking to me, or any witnesses at the scene.

I had a statement from a witness say i went through a green, so it must have been an early yellow? Ticket got thrown out of court, but ICBC STILL blamed me (i was young, drove a mustang..heh...) for the accident.

My thing with Surrey (i've lived here my entire life) is that we, like richmond have a HUGE immigrant populace that have a mentality when driving that "if you're not right infront of me, i dont look for you"; and they like to buy their young kids overpowered/overpriced vehicles.

Fastronaut Danke is on a distinguished road Danke's Avatar
    Bike
    RC
    I was in Richmond on Sunday and got to see the right turn from the fast lane across all the other traffic twice in just minutes. The first go was did I see that, and then the second was the confirmation.

But then later back around Commercial getting groceries for dinner there's a woman in the line at Safeway who has to tell the cashier he's wrong about the price of a loaf of bread. She marches back to the bakery to prove this guy wrong. Then she come back and says she should get her place in line back because she was there ahead of the other people (the cashier had the right price on the bread by the way).

That's the typical self absorbed Vancouverite right there. At the wheel or in a store they don't get why they're not the most important snowflake in the world.

As for turning left at a controlled intersection this is how I was taught about 30 years ago. You enter the intersection on green and establish your position. You do not enter it on red or yellow. You turn left when it is safe to do so.

The problem I find in Vancouver is drivers don't enter the intersection. They stay behind the stop line and wait for a miracle. Then when the miracle does not happen three cars bolt through when the light turns red.

That new bike smell mondocycle is on a distinguished road mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I was in Richmond on Sunday and got to see the right turn from the fast lane across all the other traffic twice in just minutes.
    Saw a woman in Richmond stopped to make a left turn from the passing lane next to TWO left turn lanes.That was special also.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Registered User Hoop71 is on a distinguished road Hoop71's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 BMW R1200GSA
    Was going to Stanley Park the other day and after exiting off Georgia I was coming up to the large round-about just after you exit.
    The lady in front of me missed the exit on the round-about she wanted so instead of just continuing around and exiting when she did a full loop she decides to STOP and BACK-UP in the round-about so she could get out.
    I was fairly close behind her and laid on the horn but she just ignored me and backed up oblivious to everything around her.

Hell, riding through a mine field is probably safer than driving in the lower mainland.

Ridin Dirty vstromgreg is on a distinguished road vstromgreg's Avatar
    Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cans View Post
    Drove a Skyline awd twin turbo right hand drive......Sightlines were great ...
    sounds like you are part of the problem if you think you can get great sightlines from the wrong side of the car....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    bah
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    sounds like you are part of the problem if you think you can get great sightlines from the wrong side of the car....
    Who said it was problem? Nothing to do with me if you can't drive rhd.

Registered User Infuria is on a distinguished road Infuria's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Ninja 300
    I've never driven a RHD car before, but just thinking about the logistics of how our roads are designed with LHD vehicles in mind. With sitting on the left, and sometimes i cannot see around cars that are waiting in the oncoming left turn lanes, I can't imagine how possible it would be to see anything.

Bike
    bah
    Quote Originally Posted by Infuria View Post
    I've never driven a RHD car before, but just thinking about the logistics of how our roads are designed with LHD vehicles in mind. With sitting on the left, and sometimes i cannot see around cars that are waiting in the oncoming left turn lanes, I can't imagine how possible it would be to see anything.
    I didn't know what rhd would be like either. Until I drove one. Maybe because there is a bunch of stuff you can see that you can't compared to lhd. But it was really easy but you need be able to use mirrors effortlessly. Some people can't drive using side and rear mirrors so they probably should stay away. Also, shifting with left is different. For those who like riding motorcycles, I would think it'd be pretty fun. But for some, not.

+ Reply to Thread