Transferable Plates for motorcycles? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Transferable Plates for motorcycles?

Registered User BCCOM is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    What your posts should say is;

"I would rather the mandatory minimum requirement for insurance be like the USA (next to nothing), and they charge me accordingly".

Here are your USA state minimum requirements. Many folks have the BARE MINIMUM, it's all they can afford. Buying an ICBC calibre policy with 5 MILLION dollars worth of liability coverage would be unobtainable.

•Alaska 50/100/25

•Alabama 25/50/25

•Arkansas 25/50/25

•Arizona 15/30/10

•California 15/30/5

•Colorado 25/50/15

•Connecticut 20/40/10

•Delaware 15/30/10

•Florida 10/20/10

•Georgia 25/50/25

•Hawaii 20/40/10

•Idaho 20/50/15

•Illinois 20/40/15

•Indiana 25/50/10

•Iowa 20/40/15

•Kansas 25/50/10

•Kentucky 25/50/10

•Louisiana 15/30/25

•Maine 50/100/25

•Maryland 30/60/15

•Massachusetts 20/40/5

•Michigan 20/40/10

•Minnesota 30/60/10

•Mississippi 25/50/25

•Missouri 25/50/10

•Montana 25/50/10

•Nebraska 25/50/25

•New Hampshire 25/50/25

•New Jersey 15/30/5

•New Mexico 25/50/10

•Nevada 15/30/10

•New York 25/50/10

•North Carolina 30/60/25

•North Dakota 25/50/25

•Ohio 12.5/25/7.5

•Oklahoma 25/50/25

•Oregon 25/50/20

•Pennsylvania 15/30/5

•Rhode Island 25/50/25

•South Carolina 25/50/25

•South Dakota 25/50/25

•Tennessee 25/50/15

•Texas 30/60/25

•Utah 25/65/15

•Virginia 25/50/20

•Vermont 25/50/10

•Washington 25/50/10

•Wisconsin 50/100/55

•West Virginia 20/40/10

•Wyoming 25/100/15

The first number is the dollars in liability PER PERSON if you hit someone. The second number is the MAXIMUM LIABILITY. So if you are 20/40, it's $20,000 injury to any one person, $40,000 in total. So if you hit a family of 5, it's $40,000. The last number is property damage. Look at those numbers.

Someone runs you over in California on your sportbike.. and you don't have underinsured motorist protection... you might be looking at $15,000 in payment for bodily injury, and $5,000 towards your bike that was totalled, and THAT IS ALL SHE WROTE.

You could be a quadripalegic. $15,000. That's all you get. Not a penny more from their insurance.

Yeah, gimme some of that cheap USA car insurance. At least here EVERYONE has 14 times that minimum.

Go try and buy a policy in the states that has $2,000,000 in liability insurance.. or $5,000,000 and see what it costs. Then ask what it would cost if you are a single male with some tickets in the 21-45 age group on a sportbike.

People don't buy $200,000 insurance liability down there... the cost of care in facilities is so astronomical that if you really insure someone, it's going to be a multi million dollar lawsuit. So people carry minimums, take their chances.. and go tits up if they have a situation. Most folks carry maximum mortgages on properties for tax deductability reasons, so you won't usually find much money there either.

Enjoy!
    Great post! Many people do not understand insurance and that the age old " you get what you pay for" is true. People just love to hate ICBC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Good post, so many people don't understand why U.S. insurance can be so cheap, and think they're getting screwed here. Best example of apples and oranges if there ever was one, insurance is not insurance is not insurance...

EDIT: Beaten by Adele, Dang

Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    What your posts should say is;

"I would rather the mandatory minimum requirement for insurance be like the USA (next to nothing), and they charge me accordingly".

Here are your USA state minimum requirements. Many folks have the BARE MINIMUM, it's all they can afford. Buying an ICBC calibre policy with 5 MILLION dollars worth of liability coverage would be unobtainable.

Yeah, gimme some of that cheap USA car insurance. At least here EVERYONE has 14 times that minimum.

Go try and buy a policy in the states that has $2,000,000 in liability insurance.. or $5,000,000 and see what it costs. Then ask what it would cost if you are a single male with some tickets in the 21-45 age group on a sportbike.

People don't buy $200,000 insurance liability down there... the cost of care in facilities is so astronomical that if you really insure someone, it's going to be a multi million dollar lawsuit. So people carry minimums, take their chances.. and go tits up if they have a situation. Most folks carry maximum mortgages on properties for tax deductability reasons, so you won't usually find much money there either.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by silverD; 03-17-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

On a soapbox Mechanic is on a distinguished road Mechanic's Avatar
    Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post
    Great post! Many people do not understand insurance and that the age old " you get what you pay for" is true. People just love to hate ICBC.
    Fair comment, but there are several people on this forum that could attest to just how hard it is to get ICBC to actually pay out personal injury claims. Numbers quoted in a policy are one thing...
    STFU = Acronym used by an internet forum poster without the ability to formulate an intelligent argument or response. [See “dullard”]

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Fair comment, but there are several people on this forum that could attest to just how hard it is to get ICBC to actually pay out personal injury claims. Numbers quoted in a policy are one thing...

Agree 100% on that. I was actually commenting on the fact that many don't understand that "cheaper" does not mean the "same" coverage. Insurance is something everyone hates paying but when you need it you pray you bought the best.

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post
    Why do i have a strong urge to find out more about this?
    Remember, curiosity killed the cat... Lol

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by cba View Post
    Transferable plates for multiple vehicles or just motorcycles? My car is parked when I'm driving my bike.
    Motorcycles only.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Registered User michael is on a distinguished road michael's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    Bandito hits a home run with his post. (And now, to show the ball is outta the park and onto the roof of the maligned umpire).

Those figures do not include PIP (AKA "personal injury protection") which some jurisdictions do not require.
    Your ICBC coverage pays up to a maximum of $150,000 for each operator, passenger or occupant for certain medical benefits.
    In addition to that medical coverage, you may be eligible for up to $300 in weekly Disability Benefits.
    Known as "Part 7," in BC, because it's described in Part 7 of the Insurance (Vehicle) Act Regulations.

I know 2 Oregon residents, both friends of mine, involved in serious injury crashes. Their insurance was nowhere near adequate. To quote one fellow (whose name you may recognize from motojournals) "your insurance is so civilized up there."

There are detractors, and our system isn't perfect, but it's better than most.
    Last edited by michael; 03-17-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    Bandito hits a home run with his post. (And now, to show the ball is outta the park and onto the roof of the maligned umpire).

Those figures do not include PIP (AKA "personal injury protection") which some jurisdictions do not require.
    Your ICBC coverage pays up to a maximum of $150,000 for each operator, passenger or occupant for certain medical benefits.
    In addition to that medical coverage, you may be eligible for up to $300 in weekly Disability Benefits.
    Known as "Part 7," in BC, because it's described in Part 7 of the Insurance (Vehicle) Act Regulations.

I know 2 Oregon residents, both friends of mine, involved in serious injury crashes. Their insurance was nowhere near adequate. To quote one fellow (whose name you may recognize from motojournals) "your insurance is so civilized up there."

There are detractors, and the system isn't perfect, but it's better than most.
    The wankers like PIKA are always out in full force wanting to save $1000 a year on their insurance until they are fucking hit by someone and realize they might need some money to compensate them for their career ending injuries.

Sometimes you wonder if they are legitimate users... breathing members of our society.

If you think you want "cheap" insurance like the USA, do your fucking homework.
    Last edited by bandito; 03-17-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Welcome to the jungle,jet Mike76 is on a distinguished road Mike76's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 1000, 2012 KTM SMT, 2006 GSXR 750 (track), 2006 VT1100, 2010 KTM 300 XC-W, 1977 CT125, E190 when on the line...
    Should we maybe get a modern petition going to show support and to help keep this idea going?
    Mach tuck?!

Registered User pika is on a distinguished road pika's Avatar
    Bike
    unicycle
    consider this wanker schooled.

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    i would like to see transferable plates for other vehicle types. can try to sneak it under "green" initiative

i need a truck to be able to carry a bike or 2, something with 4 doors to carry passengers, and something cheap on gas to get to and from work.

at this point im looking at 3 different vehicles. having 3 different insurances wipes out any gas savings i would have and makes me give less of a fuck about "green" bs. So i'd buy a common denominator: diesel sucking crew cab.

or i could have a cheap b2200 or something like that, a mid sized sedan, and a tiny ass tercel or something among those lines. all for the price of 1 nice crew cab. all while being "green".
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

"im a wanker" -malamikigo

Registered User Batan is on a distinguished road Batan's Avatar
    Bike
    Versys/SV/CBF
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    i would like to see transferable plates for other vehicle types. can try to sneak it under "green" initiative

i need a truck to be able to carry a bike or 2, something with 4 doors to carry passengers, and something cheap on gas to get to and from work.

at this point im looking at 3 different vehicles. having 3 different insurances wipes out any gas savings i would have and makes me give less of a fuck about "green" bs. So i'd buy a common denominator: diesel sucking crew cab.

or i could have a cheap b2200 or something like that, a mid sized sedan, and a tiny ass tercel or something among those lines. all for the price of 1 nice crew cab. all while being "green".

I agree. I would buy a second car right away if plates were transferable.

BannedSpammer malamikigo is on a distinguished road malamikigo's Avatar
    Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Bikes may have a slight glimmer of hope, but.....cars? Transferrable plates for cars is just NEVER gonna happen.

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    how is it different?
    insure your highest value car + % per every vehicle on your pink slip.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

"im a wanker" -malamikigo

Registered User grant is on a distinguished road grant's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    I remember one of the weak arguments ICBC put forward about the cost of upgrading their software to accommodate the change. No-one was convinced - how difficult can it be to add a few more fields with vehicle references when you poke in a a registration number or ID. I'm sure there are any number of code/programmer wizkids on this site that could do it in their sleep.
    Modifying a complex system like ICBC's would be much more involved than letting a hacker play with the code for a few hours. It would involve:

- project management
    - writing business & technical specifications
    - updating the database(s) and related code
    - updating whatever user interfaces exist (e.g., the one for agents, plus whatever other ones are used internally)
    - test planning, testing, and bug fixing
    - deployment

That said, ICBC keeps all the necessary IT people on staff as they already do regular improvements to their software and shouldn't have to hire any more to implement this. Complaining about cost either means their IT is mismanaged and/or they are using the excuse as a smokescreen.
    Team AFTICA Racing - WMRC #765

+ Reply to Thread