Transferable Plates for motorcycles? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Transferable Plates for motorcycles?

Registered User BCCOM is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromgreg View Post
    Pull this off, and I will renew my membership.
    Not sure how I missed this?!

This is the problem in general, BCCOM will never make all the people happy all the time. What you think is important might not be what another member finds important. To "pull things like this off" takes work and money which is where membership comes in. People who join for one reason and can not or will not see other people needs as important are usually unhappy with BCCOM at some point.
    The old saying " you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time" is alive and well at BCCOM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    i would like to see transferable plates for other vehicle types. can try to sneak it under "green" initiative

i need a truck to be able to carry a bike or 2, something with 4 doors to carry passengers, and something cheap on gas to get to and from work.

at this point im looking at 3 different vehicles. having 3 different insurances wipes out any gas savings i would have and makes me give less of a fuck about "green" bs. So i'd buy a common denominator: diesel sucking crew cab.

or i could have a cheap b2200 or something like that, a mid sized sedan, and a tiny ass tercel or something among those lines. all for the price of 1 nice crew cab. all while being "green".
    Minister Lekstrom (then an MLA) and I were told (in 2003 by the then chairman and CEO Nick Geer) that ICBC would eventually like to insure the driver not the vehicle. Motorcycles would be a nice size group to "try out" the program.

In 2003 we got the go ahead on Transferable Plates for January of 2005. The government then canned Nick Geer and put in the BCUC (BC Utilities Commission) in charge and we were told no way. Minister Lekstrom, BCCOM and the motorcyclists of the province were extremely disappointed to say the least.

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    But now there are 2 magic words: "carbon footprint". Or "being green" or someother bullshit that can keep people from commuting to work in a crewcab.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Registered User Hornet17 is on a distinguished road Hornet17's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 GSX-R 1000, YSR-80
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post
    The basics around the proposal is you would pay to insure the most expensive bike, have storage insurance on all (hopefully at a reduced rate as the number goes up) and be able to switch the plate to which ever bike you wanted to ride that day.
    Would that mean ICBC's storage insurance (read: rip off), or would third party work?

Unregistered User gwilo is on a distinguished road gwilo's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    After reading most of the posts there seems to be one issue

Transferable Plates or Multi Vehicle Insurance

Here in BC we use Plates and Insurance as one item but it is two separate things.

The rest of Canada and the U.S. do not have transferable plates but do have multi vehicle insurance. You own for example one car one bike. By mileage and usage they are insured on the same policy you have a primary 'car' (drive to work daily) and a pleasure 'bike' (nice days and a few day to work) as well as a camper truck used once or twice a month. They all have plates all of the time.

Here in BC they have two levels for insurance +/- 15 km to work and all vehicles are insured as primary used all the time.

That is the problem.

Last week I owned 3 cars and two bikes ICBC was happy.

It makes the 'GREEN' example above a big problem on my pocket book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet17 View Post
    Would that mean ICBC's storage insurance (read: rip off), or would third party work?
    I am pretty sure they would want it to be ICBC, all to be talked about though.

Registered User J252 is on a distinguished road J252's Avatar
    Bike
    GPz750, SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by grant View Post
    Modifying a complex system like ICBC's would be much more involved than letting a hacker play with the code for a few hours. It would involve:

- project management
    - writing business & technical specifications
    - updating the database(s) and related code
    - updating whatever user interfaces exist (e.g., the one for agents, plus whatever other ones are used internally)
    - test planning, testing, and bug fixing
    - deployment

That said, ICBC keeps all the necessary IT people on staff as they already do regular improvements to their software and shouldn't have to hire any more to implement this. Complaining about cost either means their IT is mismanaged and/or they are using the excuse as a smokescreen.
    Changes are always more complicated than they sound. However, this shouldn't have to be a from-scratch creation. The process should already be in place since ICBC can already handle the logistics of transferable plates with the collector plate system.

Registered User Hornet17 is on a distinguished road Hornet17's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 GSX-R 1000, YSR-80
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post
    I am pretty sure they would want it to be ICBC, all to be talked about though.
    If it means ICBC storage insurance then for those of us with only two bikes this isn't worth the effort. For the cost of 6 months storage insurance w/ theft on my bike from ICBC I can insure it for the entire year through third party.

Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet17 View Post
    If it means ICBC storage insurance then for those of us with only two bikes this isn't worth the effort. For the cost of 6 months storage insurance w/ theft on my bike from ICBC I can insure it for the entire year through third party.

When the proposal was first introduced part of it was that the storage fee would be a reduced one. Thing is ICBC is not going to give something with out getting something IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread