Motogp - Big changes for 2013
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motogp - Big changes for 2013

Moderator Shovelhead is on a distinguished road Shovelhead's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 ZX-14, 2009 Ninjette

Motogp - Big changes for 2013

[h=1]Big changes being talked about for 2013.

Me don't like it

Dorna Sports SL and MSMA discuss further MotoGP™ cost reductions[/h] 2012 - MotoGP - Jerez Test - Day 1 - Interview - Carmelo Ezpeleta

Saturday, 24 March 2012
    [h=2]In a meeting held at Jerez on Friday, MotoGP organisers Dorna Sports and the Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers Association reviewed various proposals aimed at further strengthening the World Championship and reducing operational costs.[/h]

Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta explained that ongoing discussions started at the end of last season and could lead to various decisions in an upcoming meeting to be held in Qatar, ahead of the first Grand Prix of the 2012 season.
    "During the past few meetings we've been discussing the philosophy of the Championship, how to improve it in an economic sense and also thinking about the spectacle," said Ezpeleta. "We've put forward a proposal to the manufacturers, some ideas were accepted and others were not, and we now have to study their ideas so that when we sit down again in Qatar we can agree on how to make the Championship better, but also in a manner which is economically viable."
    "We've been discussing a number of ideas to reduce costs, such as having a single bike per rider as in Moto2 and Moto3, limiting the number of mechanics per rider, setting a price cap on bikes and deciding that each manufacturer can only have two factory bikes and two satellite bikes, and many other things."

"We still have to study some of the ideas from the manufacturers, and overall the discussions with the manufacturers have been very positive."
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 October 23, 2011)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Moderator CG is on a distinguished road CG's Avatar
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    [B][h=1]"We've put forward a proposal to the manufacturers....
    the manufacturers, i think he means HONDA.

Anybody see the price list for moto3 engines? Honda is charging $1600 euro for 1 piston! over $2000 euro just to do a top end change with a piston/rings/pin. The kit pistons on the 2stroke bikes were no more than $200 a piece. 4 stroke suppose to be cheaper, ppsshhh. If you want to save costs, let the 2stroke bikes back in. If Honda wants there 4strokes, then let them in too.
    Last edited by CG; 03-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    BCSB- Moderator

California dreamin' KatRider is on a distinguished road KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    While I appreciate the technology and the ability of the riders in MotoGP, I find the "show" is often much better in most of the "lower spec", less expensive classes, like Moto2, WSBK and WSS.

SH: What are your specific issues with the proposed changes?
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

Moderator Shovelhead is on a distinguished road Shovelhead's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 ZX-14, 2009 Ninjette
    Quote Originally Posted by KatRider View Post
    While I appreciate the technology and the ability of the riders in MotoGP, I find the "show" is often much better in most of the "lower spec", less expensive classes, like Moto2, WSBK and WSS.

I don't like the single bike per rider,
    there are so many crashes in practices and qualifying, that could reduce the field in the race,
    There are not enough bikes in motogp to start with. A spare bike is a must.

Also, limiting factories to max 2 factory and 2 satellite bikes,
    Last year Honda had 6 (3/3), Ducati had 6 (2/4), again reducing the field.

I know that Dorna wants to steer towards CRT, I understand the concept however, this is Motogp and it is the pinnacle of Motorcycle racing designed to run prototype bikes, the sky should be the limit.
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 October 23, 2011)

Lee RideFar elevation is on a distinguished road elevation's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by KatRider View Post

bingo. The lower spec races are far more entertaining on average. However, when a MotoGP race comes down to the wire between a few high profile racers it is pretty amazing.

Registered User Pee Wee is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    This is Motogp and it is the pinnacle of Motorcycle racing designed to run prototype bikes, the sky should be the limit.
    Unfortunatly, you're missing the big picture. Budgets are limited, skys don't have anything to do with the global economy. This has to be made cheaper to do, or it's just going to STOP. No moar GP period. End of story. The "Show" is too expensive to continue. Just imagine what all those hot sluts are costing to stand around with umbrellas and smoke poles in the back later.

Registered User tegz is on a distinguished road tegz's Avatar
    Bike
    K7gixxer600
    Maybe this means kawi and some other manufacturers will be joining motoGP again
    stay away from richmond... stay away from richmond... stay away from richmond... stay away from richmond... stay away from richmond... stay away from richmond...

+ Reply to Thread