anyone got experience with fiberglass?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone got experience with fiberglass?

Registered User r6_4life is on a distinguished road r6_4life's Avatar
    Bike
    04 cbr600rr - race

anyone got experience with fiberglass?

so spring is coming along and i want to get my race bike fixed up and give her a new paint job. however, my track fairing accumulated a couple...shall we say holes on the back and a dent on the side. if anyone has experience with fiberglass, i would be very very willing to offer you guys some beer so you can teach me how to work with fiberglass! oh and the brand is sharkskins fyi
    racing4life
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Josh330 is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2003 ZX-r/636
    I've done some fiberglassing, but that was along time ago.

Registered User Cuff is on a distinguished road Cuff's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Kawi Versys, 1981 Brat Bike, 1981 Goldwing.
    It's quite easy to do yourself. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that can start you off on the right foot. One thing I found for small jobs (ie: my gas tank leaks) was to use washed bounce fabric softener sheets cut in strips in place of fibreglass. They are strong and flexible and very easy to work with. A lot easier than glass and cheap.

The resin itself is easy to use just follow the instructions and work with small amounts and outside if you can. Rough up the plastic before you work on it as well. Hope this helped.
    "Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for fifteen minutes" - Cousin Eddie

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...r/1446/cat/500

Registered User CanadianBird is on a distinguished road CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

Formerly kanelupis CanaganD is on a distinguished road CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Fiberglass, bondo and wet sandpaper.

Patch fiberglass from the back, fill fairing hole with bondo, set sand to smoothness, repaint.

Twin A Jaybo is on a distinguished road Jaybo's Avatar
    Bike
    Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R & DRZ125 Dirt:RM125
    It's pretty basic. But a Canadian tire kit some cheap paint brushes, some foil cooking pans, and some latex gloves. prepare the area, by sanding it and cutting you patch out of the matting. Pour the resin in the pan add a few drops of the hardener then stir it into the resin. Paint some resin on the bodywork and on the patch. Apply the patch and add resin until it's saturated.. Squeegee out the air bubbles and let it dry. Sand then paint. Use bondo if you want it look extra smooth. Remember less is more otherwise you're doing alot of sanding.

Registered User the bartender is on a distinguished road the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    Husabergg FS570, Aprilia Tuono V4R
    when learning how to fiberglass, make sure you use less activator then it suggests. having too much will cause it to set up faster than you need, and it wont be as strong. using less, will give you more work time.

and when you wash your hands after sanding, use cold water, not hot.

+ Reply to Thread