is there a rumoured pandemic coming? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: is there a rumoured pandemic coming?

GSX R600 K9 vancitymike is on a distinguished road vancitymike's Avatar
    Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    Because they're on their way to or from work?
    Thank you for the clarification.

You'd be surprised G Hats is on a distinguished road G Hats's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    I read a scary article about TB that is resistant to anti-biotics and other drugs breaking out in London and UK right before olympics! I couldn't find the article online, but here is some other info on it showing up in Italy and India too.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...r-first-italy/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...aces-in-india/

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/90/2/11-092585.pdf

Got Hammer? gixxstar is on a distinguished road gixxstar's Avatar
    Bike
    The Mighty One
    I remember there being A LOT more than usual during the SARS and H1N1 outbreaks.....as well as hordes of people looking for iodine after the tsunami in Japan. When you see people that who aren't walking steotypes wearing masks, or it's recommended by public health, then I think it's time to jump on the bandwagon.

++++++ Grapes is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    I read a scary article about TB that is resistant to anti-biotics and other drugs breaking out in London and UK right before olympics! I couldn't find the article online, but here is some other info on it showing up in Italy and India too.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...r-first-italy/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...aces-in-india/

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/90/2/11-092585.pdf
    I wouldn't worry about TB very much. Not really all that contagious unless you spend a lot of time with an infected person; you're close to as likely to get HIV from kissing someone HIV positive.

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor EdmondsBatt is on a distinguished road EdmondsBatt's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking
    A friend of mine was hospitalized with TB a few years ago. Another friend of ours contracted it from the first guy by being in the same car as him.
    Check out our new Abbotsford store at 33177 South Fraser Way!
    *Quote "BCSportbikes.com" to receive 15% off ANY new in stock Battery!
    www.edmondsbatteries.net

Registered User aranay is on a distinguished road aranay's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 KTM 625 SMC
    Flew back from Montreal last sunday and someone must have been sick, because lucky me, I got it too! Sure wish the asshole was wearing a mask. I've been down for the count since monday night
    "it ain't what a man don't know that makes him a fool, it's what he does know that ain't so" - Derek

"If you love your bike, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided" - Big Booger

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by aranay View Post
    Flew back from Montreal last sunday and someone must have been sick, because lucky me, I got it too! Sure wish the asshole was wearing a mask. I've been down for the count since monday night
    exactly what happened to me when i came back from Ontario in August. Flew in on Saturday morning feeling great, a bit hung over from drinking til 4am, but great. Sunday morning take the bike to work at about 0430. By 0900 start to feel a bit strange, but 1200 get a fever of mid 39C and call it in. Best part is that i still had to ride home... 2 weeks off work unpaid then another 2 weeks dealing with aftermath. Thanks to some douchebag asshole on that plane spreading germs (there was a FOB old lady sitting 1 chair from me coughing) spreading something that gave me pneumonia. Yay!
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I wouldn't worry about TB very much. Not really all that contagious unless you spend a lot of time with an infected person; you're close to as likely to get HIV from kissing someone HIV positive.
    Dude, TB is an airborne virus! HIV is blood transmitted only. I'm pretty sure you have your facts wrong here. TB is as easy to catch from someone as the common cold as far I have read.

Registered User Coastmaster is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    More than one
    Dude, TB is an airborne virus! HIV is blood transmitted only. I'm pretty sure you have your facts wrong here. TB is as easy to catch from someone as the common cold as far I have read.
    You are correct. Canadian Blood Services will refuse your donation if you've recently visited a long list of countries where TB is prevalent.

Registered User CanadianBird is on a distinguished road CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    On my wife's flight to and from the Philippines this year, I requested she wear a mask to and home again. Lot's of sniviling babies and caughing passengers. She arrived home well, no issues. Just a screwed up body clock.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Indeed, HIV is blood (or a better qualification would be fluid as semen, saliva, vaginal secretions also transmit HIV) but this was never what was being disputed. I'm talking about the alpha-S1 value or in common terms, the rate at which TRANSMISSION proceeds. TB is a mycobac. which isn't readily contracted. Think of H5N1 vs. H1N1; H5N1 (and like TB) is far less contagious but far more virulent.

While I don't claim to be an expert (yet) on either of these two pathogens, my experience and profession has afforded me the occasion to become familiar with these lovely guys and risks involved.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastmaster View Post
    You are correct. Canadian Blood Services will refuse your donation if you've recently visited a long list of countries where TB is prevalent.
    This depends on how badly they need blood. One thing is for sure; there will never be a fluctuating stance for HIV!

Got Hammer? gixxstar is on a distinguished road gixxstar's Avatar
    Bike
    The Mighty One
    Tuberculosis isn't caused by a virus. It's unpleasant to think of catching it but it usually requires prolonged exposure to someone with active disease and even then, if you're otherwise healthy, the risk of developing active disease is pretty low. I remember reading somewhere that parts of Asia have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/4 of the population testing positive in tuberculin skin tests, which imply exposure. Kind of reminded me of this story a while back:

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-07-12/h...s?_s=PM:HEALTH

Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    well... even if it is hard to catch, it is still scary to think of rising numbers of drug resistant TB at all! Personally, I just don't like the sounds of it.

Registered User Bison is on a distinguished road Bison's Avatar
    Bike
    98GL
    Don't go into a 7-11 at 3am wearing one.

+ Reply to Thread