Where to get motorcycle seat shaved in Vancouver?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to get motorcycle seat shaved in Vancouver?

Registered User zelloss is on a distinguished road zelloss's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 GSXR 1000

Where to get motorcycle seat shaved in Vancouver?

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a motorcycle seat shaved in Vancouver. Being somewhat height challenged, I would feel more confident on the bike even just being an inch closer to the ground. I've gotten used to riding on my tiptoes, and only putting one foot down at stops but it does get tiring; especially so when parking the bike (CBR F4i).

I know I can get the bike lowered as well, but that would be a last resort for me. Not sure if I wanna change the handling characteristics of the bike; although I've heard that lowering the front and rear by 1 inch is perfectly fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User doser is on a distinguished road doser's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 CB1000RA
    you might want to consider popping the cover of the seat yourself, grinding the foam back yourself (if oyu have the tools and a place), and taking the seat to an upholstery shop to get them to re-staple the cover.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87851

or just go to an automotive upholstery shop...
    Ride fast if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime.
    (with apologies to Edward Whymper; from Scrambles Amongst the Alps, 1871.)

Registered User Dacon is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Did it to my dirt bikes, was much easier than I thought. I also had a spare seat that didn't matter if it got ruined.

Doser has good advice though, removing the cover and shaving is quite easy. I used a turkey carver and made it nice. Getting it stapled by someone who knows what they're doing is big, I could never get the right cut/stretch to look good when I stapled, vinyl/leather is tricky (to me) to predict.

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Electric carving knife is good to start... then finish with a sanding disc attached to a drill.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

2008 SV650 Kristopher08 is on a distinguished road Kristopher08's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV650s
    I'd stay away from lowering as well.
    Consider narrowing the seat any if you can. You sound like you're around the same inseam as me @ 30" which is what really pushed me toward the SV650. I don't know if you ride in boots but some I've checked out had some good meat on the heels. Hopefully you can get it comfy enough to avoid playing with the bike's stance.

Bike
    2008 GSXR 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher08 View Post
    I'd stay away from lowering as well.
    Consider narrowing the seat any if you can. You sound like you're around the same inseam as me @ 30" which is what really pushed me toward the SV650. I don't know if you ride in boots but some I've checked out had some good meat on the heels. Hopefully you can get it comfy enough to avoid playing with the bike's stance.
    Yep, 30" inseam. I did consider the SV650 but a good deal came up on the F4i so decided to take it. I had a full race boot, Alpinestars S-MX Plus, but felt too bulky and cumbersome to me. Went with a short boot instead; TCX X-Square boots bought from Sportbike Trackgear.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into playing around with the seat...just hope I don't make a hash out of it.

Registered User Skyway6 is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Honda CBR250ra
    Fiji Island Upholstery
    215 2 Ave E, Vancouver, BC V5T1B6

N W side of 2nd and Main
    http://g.co/maps/uncpz
    2011 Honda CBR250ra

Ridin Dirty vstromgreg is on a distinguished road vstromgreg's Avatar
    Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    There was a sponser at the Daytona Event. Slims Seats?

Janice was the Woman if i recall...

http://www.facebook.com/SlimsSeats

Slim's Signature Seats
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Registered User 5thgear is on a distinguished road 5thgear's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Slim's Seats .

Janice does a fantastic job. Been sending lot's of customers her way and there all very happy .

1 778.888.9494 Janice

Registered User kamen rider is on a distinguished road kamen rider's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda
    If you decide to do it yourself, realize that it can get messy. Those bits of foam get everywhere and can b somewhat difficult to clean up off floors. Set something down to make clean-up easier. A knife and sandpaper to refine and finish the shape can do the job quite well. I have a 2004 F4i and successfully narrowed the seat myself.

Registered User jermyzy is on a distinguished road jermyzy's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    PM Argyle. I bought a shaved Ninja 250 seat off him that he had done in Richmond
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    2008 GSXR 1000
    Just got the seat back after getting it shaved at Fiji Island Upholstery. Went for a quick ride this evening and noticed a big difference right away. I still can't get both feet firmly on the ground, but that inch or so shaved off definitely helps a lot. I feel more at ease coming to a stop, and parking isn't as much of a challenge anymore. Strongly recommended for those considering getting it done...although you would obviously lose some comfort...trade-off was worth it for me.

Registered User ubergoober is on a distinguished road ubergoober's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha 2004 R6
    Lower your bike before shaving the seat. Shaving the seat lowers your body to the ground but at the expense of placing you body closer to the pegs, making it tougher to ride comfortably. While lowering the bike messes with the riding geometry. it is the lesser of 2 evils if the lowering is done right. Rarely do riders push their bikes to the limit in city riding so comfort should prevail. Think, sitting on a tricycle with knees by your ears.

+ Reply to Thread