Yay Translink!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yay Translink!

Don't be stupid. Array Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM

Yay Translink!

Now that everyone purchasing fuel in the LMD has a 2 cent/litre increase on fuel, I thought I'd share the following.

Here is a list of the ten options that are suggested for raising money for Translink. It's soooo nice to see that eight are targeted purely at motorists, one at home/business users of oil and only one is suggesting that fares are raised.

They really don't want to go with increasing the fare. That is judged to be unfair to low income users of transit. Heaven forbid the user pays for the system.

One more nail in the "I gotta move outta this place" coffin.

Road pricing: $100-million to $200-million (Current revenue: None)

Planners love pricing, but the public has no idea what it means. It could mean a new highway lane with a toll, or charging motorists based on the distance driven, or the number of city zones traversed. Or it could mean charging them if they go into congested areas at rush hour.

Fuel tax: $30-million to $100-million (Current revenue: $331-million)

Although this is identified as a short-term fix, mayors and planners say it’s a weak option. As gas prices and gas taxes go up, people are buying less gasoline. TransLink is already coping this year with $30-million less from gas taxes than it expected for 2012.

Regional carbon tax: More than $200-million (Current: None)

Levied not just on vehicle fuel, but on fuel used for heating and manufacturing, a carbon tax would add yet more to the existing gas tax and increase costs for homes and businesses. A charge of 0.13 cents a litre of gas would bring in $10-million a year.

Share of provincial carbon tax: More than $200-million (Current: None)

The TransLink mayors council tried unsuccessfully to get a share of B.C.’s existing carbon tax in the summer of 2010. Any new revenue from the tax is not legally committed to be returned to taxpayers after 2013.

Vehicle registration fee: $100-million to $200 million (Current: None)

This could be a flat fee of $7.50 a vehicle (which would raise $10-million a year), or based on vehicle emissions ($3.50 to $10.50 a year), but the most interesting idea was to charge a variable fee ($5 to $10) based on whether the user was close to transit but chose not to use it.

Parking sales tax: $10-million to $30-million (Current: $51.6-million)

Like gas taxes, this one is favoured by planners because the direct cost makes drivers think twice about using their cars. Raising the current 21.5-per-cent tax to 25 per cent would bring in an extra $10-million a year. Biggest negative: only a few people bear the brunt.

Transit fares: $30-million to $100-million (Current: $454-million)

Raising the single-zone fare to $2.85 would bring in $10-million a year; an increase to $3.20, $50-million. But it gets bad marks on the analysts’ score sheet because it discourages people from using transit and penalizes low-income users.

Property taxes: $100-million to $200-million (Current: $298-million)

Mayors are uniformly opposed to adding to existing property taxes for TransLink.

“Benefitting area” tax: $30-million to $100-million (Current: None)

Upside: those who get the most direct benefit from new transit services pay. Downside: Isn’t an incentive to take transit, raises the cost of housing nearby and is difficult to administer.

Project tolls: $100-million to $200-million (Current: $39-million from Golden Ears)

This is the kind of toll the public has said in polls it is most likely to support, because there’s a clear link between the improved service and the money paid.
    The difference between you and me .........

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    If they put proper TURNSTILES, like they have all over Europe, back in 1986 we wouldn't be in this mess.

We're currently paying 127.9 for gas on the Island, you're paying 143.9, that's up hauling. It costs more to ship the fuel to the Island, shouldn't we be paying higher fuel costs?

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Wonder how much saving they can get from cleaning house. The arguement for execs to have high pay is because they do a good job that not many can. I'm ok with that... Cept translink does a piss poor fucking job an everything it touches.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    gixxer 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Argyle View Post
    If they put proper TURNSTILES, like they have all over Europe, back in 1986 we wouldn't be in this mess.
    If you're referring to skytrain, if every seat were full, and everyone paid fare, skytrain would still be operating at a loss. I doesn't work, it can't work, it will never work until the population density is much, much, higher and the stops are much closer together. Even then, much like in Europe, anyone that can afford to use a car will.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    That's why they are trying to reduce number of people who can afford a car.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    ........ shouldn't we be paying higher fuel costs?
    ... but you don't have a world class transit system to support...
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    none yet
    I'm surprised nobody is mentioning that there is no enforcement of fine collection. None. Also, any fines that are paid go into general provincial revenue. They don't go back to translink.

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by NSRDR View Post
    I'm surprised nobody is mentioning that there is no enforcement of fine collection. None. Also, any fines that are paid go into general provincial revenue. They don't go back to translink.
    Well that's sure all over the news lately, hopefully it'll change soon.

For me I thank God the border's only 10 mins away and I have a well used NEXUS card at my side..
    Last edited by silverD; 04-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    sad isn't it ... we're in what could arguably be the best country/nation/land in the world, ever, and look how it's being run.

Affirmative action indeed!

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none

We're currently paying 127.9 for gas on the Island, you're paying 143.9, that's up hauling. It costs more to ship the fuel to the Island, shouldn't we be paying higher fuel costs?
    Filled up 91 at 156.7 yesterday... yikes.
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    KTM
    91 Octane at the Shell in Blaine was $1.14/l.

Bike
    2009 Kawasaki ER6n
    FFS don't give them any ideas!

Fuh-coffee we will go Array carbonfibrerocket's Avatar
    Bike
    08 GSX1300BK, 03 XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    91 Octane at the Shell in Blaine was $1.14/l.
    That's quite a difference if you look at it based on a 100 litre tank. ~$40

When it's $3 here and there and I hear people squawk, I just think, that's a Douchebucks coffee per tank. Is it worth bitching over?
    Last edited by carbonfibrerocket; 04-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Big shitty balls of shit, that's a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling

Eyes set on the rubbarb Array kelaog's Avatar
    Bike
    Bike hiatus
    I think the people who use transit should pay for it. This isn't communism.

No matter how much gas goes up in price I won't take it because I've always lived outside of the major transit areas and there has been little or no improvement to the local bus service in my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Police to impounds is like gay men to bum sex. It's going to happen... and the participants love it.

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonfibrerocket View Post
    That's quite a difference if you look at it based on a 100 litre tank. ~$40

When it's $3 here and there and I hear people squawk, I just think, that's a Douchebucks coffee per tank. Is it worth bitching over?
    I'll fill the car and put 14 gallons in jerry cans while I'm there. To get fuel, some cheese, milk and butter ends up putting over $80 in my pocket versus buying the same up here. And then there's no end to the savings with everything else that is cheaper only 25 km away.