since when?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: since when?

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650

since when?

since when did having a cat spayed cost a fortune?

we adopted two 6 month old kittens a week and a half ago, and are getting them spayed on the 16th, along with updating their shots and making sure they're in good health. The woman we adopted them from had recently become single and was finding it too hard to make ends meet while looking after them

prior to adopting them we did look up some prices to spay the cats as we knew they weren't fixed as well as get their shots up to date, and figured a few hundred each would be reasonable. We emailed and called a few vets in Richmond, thinking we'd like to stay close to home, and also checked out a couple of vets recommended by friends.

The quote we decided to go with was 120 per cat, for the spay, all the blood work, pre-exam, meds, cones, etc and was from one of the friend recommended vets. One of the quotes we got back from a vet in Richmond was 1093.45. What in the HELL?

I had to email them back, politely, to find out what exactly they were offering that was worth the 800.00 difference.

here's a copy of the conversation with the vet's name and company removed. I'm willing to spend the money to have them cared for properly, but I'll have whatever they're smoking. I also couldn't resist adding the final line

Good morning,

While I appreciate the quote, the prices listed are totally out of line with the other animal hospitals we've checked with. To give you an idea, the entire list of what is on the quote was quoted to us at a cost of 240.00, and this is for both cats at an animal hospital we know has a good reputation and plenty of experience. We'd prefer to have this done in Richmond but it doesn't make sense to us to pay four times the amount. I seriously hope someone has made a mistake with that quote as it is unrealistic and unreasonable

Thought you would like to know,

Thank you,

Tom

The quotes you where given where accurate, and were for both of the cats. They represent the gold standard of care that we provide at Island Veterinary Hospital. We require pre-anaesthetic blood work to ensure that the patients presented for surgery have not got any internal organ deficiencies, or abnormalities. We also only use REGISTERED Animal Health Technologist for all our procedures, as opposed to vet assistants who have not gone through formal school training,to administer anaesthetic drugs and medications. We also send home patients with pain medication for post-operative care, and provide a re-check appointment to check incision sites 10 post surgery. I do invite you to check the other hospitals to find out if their staff is trained to the same standard, and if IV fluids, pain medication, blood work, plastic cone collars etc is all included in the quotes you received from them. If we can be of any additional help, I would be happy to assit you with any questions.

~XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    I appreciate the info. The blood work, fluids, pain medication and cones were also included in the other quotes I have received. The only difference I can see is the REGISTERED Animal Health Technologist. Now I fully understand that there would could be a difference in cost due to that, but the difference still works out to over 400.00 per cat. I'm not about to pinch pennies when it comes to the health of our pets, even ones that we've just adopted and only had for a week, but 800.00 is not a small disparity between the two prices. In any case, we have booked our cats at the other hospital that we do have experience dealing with and will go from there. They may not have the gold standard but if I was paying for that I would expect the cats to be returned wearing some at those prices
    Last edited by Islesfan91; 04-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Fookin Prawn Array
    We are taking our furball to Oak Animal Hospital, they are awesome and cheap. Even got a signed card from all the staff in the mail, as well as follow up phone calls to make sure Dukitty is doing okay.

http://oakvet.com/

Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    we're going to take them out to the Langley Animal Clinic, we've had a few people take their pets there and highly recommended it, but if it doesn't work out or if we need a vet in future, I'll make a note of Oak Animal Hospital, it would be closer to us

thanks for the info

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Catcare at 3 and Francis in Richmond has been my vet of choice for the last 10 years or so..

1000 bux is totally out of line IMO. You shouldn't have to go out to Langley to feel comfortable with it.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    maybe you just don't love your cats enough, if you're not willing to pay the extra for 'gold'.
    Hell, if you don't want to pay to get 'em spayed, I know of a nearby chicken farm where they'll let you toss any kittens into the chicken-mcnuggett-making-machine for free.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    maybe you just don't love your cats enough, if you're not willing to pay the extra for 'gold'.
    Hell, if you don't want to pay to get 'em spayed, I know of a nearby chicken farm where they'll let you toss any kittens into the chicken-mcnuggett-making-machine for free.
    Meow-mix meow-mix!

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    We are taking our furball to Oak Animal Hospital, they are awesome and cheap. Even got a signed card from all the staff in the mail, as well as follow up phone calls to make sure Dukitty is doing okay.

+1
    The staff is awesome there.

Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    I agreed to get a kitten, but it somehow turned into 2 kittens. I'm still not sure if I could come up with a plausible explanation for where the second kitten went, but I'm working on it.

Registered User Array ParkJunkie's Avatar
    Bike
    old: 2002 Yamaha R6, new: '06 gsxr 750
    Beautiful closing remarks. That's an insane spread, I'm curious to know how rare the registered Technologists are.
    4 posts, 1 ride, 1 crash. That's a good ratio right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    If your passenger can feel you shift ..you suck .

Bike
    N/A
    I have a Doberman that will spay ALL cats for free...cats lol

Bike
    2007 zx 14
    There can be a huge difference between what different vet clinics will charge. There is a standard from the American Animal Hospital Assoc. that gives standards of care, facilities and equipment and I believe also gives guidelines on billing for services. You will find that most clinics that are certified have roughly the same pricing.
    Specialty clinics and 24 hour emergency clinics are a whole different thing though. Middle of the night your pet is dying and you want someone to operate at 1am that will cost you money.
    Basic spaying as you say shouldn't cost so much that you question doing it.
    Our daughter adopted a Yorkie terrier from someone who couldn't keep it any more. They said his teeth needed cleaning but overall he was in good shape. Unfortunately our daughter didn't get a health check from a vet before taking the dog. Yorkies are known for overcrowded teeth and huge dental issues. $3200 later for extractions and other dental work to save what teeth and bone he had left.
    Thanks Bernie!!!!!!!
    Thank you Burnaby Kawasaki!!!!

Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Your closing line is fantastic. Well done.
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post

Gotta agree with this one. I've been taking my dog to a few different vets over the years as I moved around the city, and Oak Animal hospital has been flawless in the care they provide and their follow-up after every visit. Very impressive, highly recommended.

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    Gotta agree with this one. I've been taking my dog to a few different vets over the years as I moved around the city, and Oak Animal hospital has been flawless in the care they provide and their follow-up after every visit. Very impressive, highly recommended.
    I thought the wife was joking when she said the trip to the vet was only $60.

Bike
    unicycle
    when it comes to pets, the sky is the limit. regardless of what you think of those prices, there are people out there who are willing to spend that much, hence those are their prices.

glad you are no fool. can't wait to hear if they respond to your last email.