How to deal with dogs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with dogs?

Tai-Pan XdtesZombie is on a distinguished road XdtesZombie's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1

How to deal with dogs?

So I went out for a ride on my dual sport today up at eagle ridge power lines road that ends overlooking Buntzen lake.
    The problem with this area is professional dog walkers like to take clients dogs up there.
    So far this has not been a problem as they usually hold the dogs when bikes come near and I slow down and give them as much room as I can.
    Today however was different,as I went though a corner about 1/3 of the way up the road two pitbull type dogs came tearing out of the woods after me and chased me for almost 2 k's.
    Luckily I was able to out run them but they were right on me for awhile and almost caught me at one point.
    When I got to the end of the trail I was concerned as how I would deal with them if I came up on them on the way back.
    I had a small lock knife in my backpack that has a clip on it so I stuck it in my boot as a last resort.
    Now understand I really do not want to hurt these dogs but when faced with two attack dogs I may have no choice.

Lucky for me I never saw them all the way back to the beginning of the trail at which point I talked to one of the dog walker ladies who said she though it may have been another dog walkers clients dogs.She said she would talk to him when she saw him and was pleasant and understanding about my concerns and in agreement that we all need to share the trails responsibly.
    This incident made me wonder if I should have some type of protection available at all times when in the woods.
    I have never come across a bear yet but I have run into other animals and this is my first time being chased by dogs in the woods.
    All I can say is I am glad I was able to outrun them as it was pretty much a logging road although not a very smooth one.
    I am just not sure how to prepare for this happening again?
    Last edited by XdtesZombie; 04-05-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Smoke em if you got em!

BannedSpammer malamikigo is on a distinguished road malamikigo's Avatar
    Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Wow, that's kinda nutty. It's my opinion that if you don't know for certain your dog is going to come back to you when called, that it shouldn't be off the leash in public areas at all. Especially if they're not even your own dogs!

Crazy that they chased you that far. Gotta wonder if the dog-walker even found them again.

Maybe some pepper/bear spray might be a solution? I'd rather give a dog some sore eyes than sink a knife into it, for sure.

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    o00o PhilipRR o00o
    Sounds like you should stay at home so your leg doesn't get munched on.

West Koots, I'm here.... flyfishinwoman is on a distinguished road flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Did you think that the dogs were going to attack, or that perhaps they were just chasing a "prey object", and wouldn't harm you at all? Many dogs will chase bikes, but not "attack". Just because they are pit-type dogs doesn't mean they are rabid attack dogs. In fact, most pitties are extremely human social, but have high chase instinct.

If you are concerned about any dog attack, or bears in that area (more dangerous, IMO), then carry some bear spray in a place that you can easily grab it when riding. Now, I'm not sure what types of sprays are legal to carry, but probably an outdoor store will have something you can use.

I've been chased on the dual-sport by farm dogs when going by their yard, and I modulate my speed so that I can give it a burst as the dog approaches and evade it. Timing is tricky, but I don't want to run over the dog or get knocked off the bike.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950 (white with pink highlights)
    1999 VFR800, Yellow
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    Wow, that's kinda nutty. It's my opinion that if you don't know for certain your dog is going to come back to you when called, that it shouldn't be off the leash in public areas at all. Especially if they're not even your own dogs!

Crazy that they chased you that far. Gotta wonder if the dog-walker even found them again.

Maybe some pepper/bear spray might be a solution? I'd rather give a dog some sore eyes than sink a knife into it, for sure.
    I have thought about bear spray but have concerns about accidentally setting it off in a fall and dealing with it's effects in close quarters.
    If I was dealing with a bear at a distance it may be good but if these dogs had got me it would have been an up close fight.
    Smoke em if you got em!

West Koots, I'm here.... flyfishinwoman is on a distinguished road flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    I have thought about bear spray but have concerns about accidentally setting it off in a fall and dealing with it's effects in close quarters.
    If I was dealing with a bear at a distance it may be good but if these dogs had got me it would have been an up close fight.
    My bet is that if you stopped and put the bike between you and the dogs, then the "chase" would be over and they would just turn away. That or bite the tires, lol. But an attack on you is not very likely, once the "prey" has stopped running and turns out to be a human.

Same thing as dogs chasing a skateboarder, they don't want to attack the boarder (in most cases), but like to chase the noisy thing wizzing by.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950 (white with pink highlights)
    1999 VFR800, Yellow
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Yep Ms2uared is on a distinguished road Ms2uared's Avatar
    Bike
    DR650
    Can of bear mase. No more issues!
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

Registered User swampdonkey25 is on a distinguished road swampdonkey25's Avatar
    Bike
    92 gsxr750w/ 06 honda 919
    bear mace fer sure

From N00bie to Wannabe FASTn50 is on a distinguished road FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Bear spray only works in close quarters: 10 feet if you're a good shot with the presence of mind to shoot accurately. You are not going to be successful shooting bear spray from a moving bike other than to get it in your own eyes!
    All my Mistresses have two round, sticky black feet and are Made in Japan or Germany!
    If I die on Phillip Island, so what! I'm already in Heaven! WOOHOOO!!!

That new bike smell mondocycle is on a distinguished road mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishinwoman View Post
    My bet is that if you stopped and put the bike between you and the dogs, then the "chase" would be over and they would just turn away. That or bite the tires, lol. But an attack on you is not very likely, once the "prey" has stopped running and turns out to be a human.

Same thing as dogs chasing a skateboarder, they don't want to attack the boarder (in most cases), but like to chase the noisy thing wizzing by.
    Absolutely correct. Next time stop your bike and see what happens. NOTHING. More barking.

Bear spray the wrong person's dog and you will get boot-fucked.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

must have more bacon gxr jo is on a distinguished road gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    84 vf750 , 01 sv650 race bike , 06 gixxr thou race bike , 09 1198s , manigale
    dog karma is trying to bite you in the ass , give me your bike now to avoid perdition
    listen to me or i will eat you're bacon

wmrc #9

Registered User Frank Einstein is on a distinguished road Frank Einstein's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Honda X15RRR4000BTU Space Comander..I just call her "Chopper"!
    Do like they did to Charlton Heston's competition's racing chariot and have those sharp, rotating, drill like devices that extend out of your front and back wheels when you want to use them. When dogs like that come around simply steer toward them and cut off their heads.
    My brain is the same shape as my hat!

Don't be stupid. Sikorsky is on a distinguished road Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    Whoa Roger. That movie is twenty years older than most peoe on the board!
    I love to bully the bullies! ;)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishinwoman View Post

I am guessing you have dogs and you think they are just curious and cute, but if you had two pitbulls chasing you would you stop?
    I have had a very aggressive dog cut me off and try attack me on my sportbike as well and I didn't think it was very cute.
    After I stopped and got off my bike it kept trying to get behind me to attack and I am not about to play that game with two dogs.
    The thing with bear spray is where do you put it so you can access it quickly but not set it off if the bike does an end over?
    I have had this bike about six months and have busted one mirror and two turn signals and I don't ride it much,I put hand guards on yesterday and stress tested one today so strapping a can of bear mace to my bike seems like tempting fate.
    Smoke em if you got em!

Administrator adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium is the Omega adamantium's Avatar
    Bike
    I wish.
    Pit bulls aren't any worse than any other dog. They have this stigma attached to them but they are just regular dogs. They may however have doucebag owners.. just like any other dog.

I'd be disappointed if you didn't go out of your way to ensure you aren't needlessly hurting animals that are just doing what they do. I think spray is the way to go as a last resort if they had you pinned in a corner and were actually prey hunting you. The liklihood of them doing that to a full grown man though is highly unlikely unless they were abused/trained for it.

That all said, you should always have some form of protection if you're out in the woods on your own. Never know what you might come by.
    BCSB- Administrator

+ Reply to Thread