I am almost speechless ....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am almost speechless ....

backslider K-rod is on a distinguished road K-rod's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 K1200S

I am almost speechless ....

Um - aren't these people supposed to know what's going on?

RCMP pay hikes stun B.C. politicians

Several municipalities in British Columbia are raising the alarm over what they say are completely unexpected pay raises given to the RCMP.

Langley Mayor Peter Fassbender said Thursday that he only learned this week that the RCMP were given raises in last week's federal budget.

The news has come as a shock to provincial and municipal officials, who just signed a new 20-year contract with the national police force.

The agreement, which is essentially identical to contracts reached in five other provinces and three territories, comes a year after B.C. threatened to pull out of negotiations altogether and set up its own force.

The officials say the deal, signed only two weeks ago, was supposed to end a history of costly surprises.

But Fassbender said there was no mention of pay raises during the negotiations.

"This was being done by Treasury Board, which is where the pay council for the RCMP is housed," Fassbender said. "And it was part of the federal budget. So what's disappointing is that there was no heads up given by Treasury Board to anybody, even in their own federal ministry, that this was going to be coming down."

RCMP members will be getting pay raises over each of the next three years.

The fear is that the raises represent an unforeseen financial hit to local governments that could total millions of dollars.

Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts, whose city is home to the largest RCMP detachment in the country, says she feels she's been blindsided.

B.C. Justice Minister Shirley Bond says she was caught off-guard and has asked Ottawa for clarification.

Three hour tour guide silverD is on a distinguished road silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Yeah.. politics as per normal, why are you suprised that politicians are out of touch and crying the sky is falling.. You can't know what you're not told.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Don't be stupid. Sikorsky is on a distinguished road Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    I've heard that the pay raises are in the neighborhood of 1.75%. Not exactly an astounding amount. Most likely not enough to make a $15 difference in a pay cheque.

Being in the Federal Government for 13 years, that is pretty well the average for any department I've been in.
    The difference between you and me .........

awful human bottomfeeder is on a distinguished road bottomfeeder's Avatar
    Bike
    IRSU magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    I've heard that the pay raises are in the neighborhood of 1.75%. Not exactly an astounding amount. Most likely not enough to make a $15 difference in a pay cheque.
    Pretty sure the angle of attack on your rotor blade isn't quite steep enough.

My quick and dirty math says the average cop will see an extra $50 on each pay cheque (assuming they are paid every two weeks like the rest of us)
    No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Bike
    KTM
    Well I'll be the first to admit that I'm no mathemetoligist.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting...ntages-eng.htm
    Looks like $65/week before tax.

But please refer to my first line in this post.
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 04-06-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm
    Should have dropped the RCMP. They are infected with cancer, got to cut it out. The RCMP should be relegated to rural policing and that's it. Leave urban policing to regional police.

Mortgage Pimp J_Scott is on a distinguished road J_Scott's Avatar
    Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.

Being in the Federal Government for 13 years, that is pretty well the average for any department I've been in.
    Doesn't matter how much it is. These days we shouldn't be giving any public sector a raise.

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    Doesn't matter how much it is. These days we shouldn't be giving any public sector a raise.
    Why not?

Mortgage Pimp J_Scott is on a distinguished road J_Scott's Avatar
    Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Why not?
    Because we can't afford it. Canada may not be in a full on recession but we're not doing as well as we should be. Taxes are high enough as it is and if we're going to turn down the teachers we should do the same to the police.

I know you're a big supporter of the police and in many ways I am as well. But this government is getting too big and the public sector has no right to give themselves pay raises when the private sector that supports them is struggling. I see it every day, income up if you're in government, down if you're self employed.

Bike
    KTM
    Because we can't afford it. Canada may not be in a full on recession but we're not doing as well as we should be. Taxes are high enough as it is and if we're going to turn down the teachers we should do the same to the police.

I know you're a big supporter of the police and in many ways I am as well. But this government is getting too big and the public sector has no right to give themselves pay raises when the private sector that supports them is struggling. I see it every day, income up if you're in government, down if you're self employed.
    We certainly aren't doing as well as we should be. However that isnt a reason to deny workers cost of living increases. And right now the raises aren't even that. Certainly 5% a year would be sweet and as a federal employee I'd love that. However I know it isn't practical.

In helicopters maintenance, as a fed. employee the top is wage just over $70K. In the private world it is over double if you want to do overseas work. I chose to stay in country to be the best husband and father I could for my family. Others do the overseas gig without a problem. I knew I couldn't. Do I think I need that kind of money puttering in a cozy hangar and not being shot at? No. But CoL would be nice.

Lee RideFar elevation is on a distinguished road elevation's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja 1000
    I love news headlines. They love using key words.

RCMP pay hikes stun B.C. politicians

independent Amsoil dealer chromedome is on a distinguished road chromedome's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Harley Nightrain
    sheesh, we only get .5% a year for 5 years as well as 10.5% for our pension a year. For the RCMP there raise is roughly $2200.00 a year. That's peanuts. I do agree though that there is no money in the gov't so they say.

Registered User Steve G. is on a distinguished road Steve G.'s Avatar
    Bike
    ummm

I agree with everything you say. Wage freeze to all government employees and all government payed entities. The private sector was forced to bite the bullet in 2008-09, time for reality to take hold in the public sector.

Steve

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I agree with everything you say. Wage freeze to all government employees and all government payed entities. The private sector was forced to bite the bullet in 2008-09, time for reality to take hold in the public sector.

Steve
    Oooooh. A two year biting of the bullet. Cry me a river.

Here's a 6 year wage freeze for the RCMP in the 90's.
    http://www.grc-rcmp.gc.ca/srr-rrf/fp...-pc-cs-eng.htm

Here are negotiated and promised wage increases for the RCMP rolled back for 2 years.
    http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=82037.0

Here are all public servant wages frozen for 5 out of 6 years in the 90's. And then it went on longer.
    http://www.clerk.gc.ca/eng/feature.a...iew&pageId=131

Don't whine to me about you having tough times for a couple of years. Being in the employ of the federal government on and off for almost 2 decades, I've done my share of austerity as well. Keep up with the cutbacks and you'll once again see the public service being bled as its workers go to the private sector or municipal governments in order to get equal pay.

And when we come back, we just top off the pension and keep on at the same level we would have been at if we stayed.
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 04-08-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Registered User OneTrack is on a distinguished road OneTrack's Avatar
    Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Let's talk about public sector pension plans, why don't we.....
    It's not that many years ago that most people considered public servants to be the losers of the work force. Well, it seems that they got the last laugh.

+ Reply to Thread