Not a new rider but new to fixing up the bike
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not a new rider but new to fixing up the bike

Registered User enomis is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Harley Davidson 2010, forty eight

Not a new rider but new to fixing up the bike

Today I bought new brake pads to replace the old worn out ones. Had a friend over who is more mechanically inclined than I am and we successfully put the brake pads, however where we failed was one of the bolts broke. I guess he turned it too tight (we didnt' have a torque wrench). Would I have to return to a bike mechanic shop to get a replacement or will places like Lordco, etc have this bolt? Attached is a picture.

My bike is a CBR 600 RR. This screw is the longest one.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by enomis; 04-10-2012 at 08:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

I like traffic cones :S made Man is on a distinguished road made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    if you and your buddy fucked that one up... what else did you fuck on doing the job? i'd take the bike to a shop to get it done properly.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    Like I said we just torqued it too much and it snapped. everything else was fine.
    Are there any other places other than bike shops to get these pieces? or is it safer to go to those shops?

Yep Ms2uared is on a distinguished road Ms2uared's Avatar
    Bike
    DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by enomis View Post
    Today I bought no brake pads to replace.
    That's an easy job
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

Registered User ParkJunkie is on a distinguished road ParkJunkie's Avatar
    Bike
    old: 2002 Yamaha R6, new: '06 gsxr 750
    Look up the part, go to the shop, tell them which part you're looking for, buy part, install.
    4 posts, 1 ride, 1 crash. That's a good ratio right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    If your passenger can feel you shift ..you suck .

Bike
    My question was if parts like a bolt, flange can be found at other stores such as Lordco....

awful human bottomfeeder is on a distinguished road bottomfeeder's Avatar
    Bike
    IRSU magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by enomis View Post
    Today I bought new brake pads to replace the old worn out ones. Had a friend over who is more mechanically inclined than I am and we successfully put the brake pads, however where we failed was one of the bolts broke. I guess he turned it too tight (we didnt' have a torque wrench). Would I have to return to a bike mechanic shop to get a replacement or will places like Lordco, etc have this bolt? Attached is a picture.

My bike is a CBR 600 RR. This screw is the longest one.
    If they can match it up at lordco (which I doubt) they will sell you a cheap, shitty made in china bolt that will very likely rust prematurely.

If I was you I would go to supersport in Langley or chopshop cycle in Richmond or your local Honda dealer and get them to match it up.

DO NOT use a stainless steel bolt in place of a mild steel bolt, especially on your front brakes.
    No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Registered User pika is on a distinguished road pika's Avatar
    Bike
    unicycle
    I'm curious. you broke the bolt while tightening it? how did you get both pieces out?

100% Asshole SpookyjacK is on a distinguished road SpookyjacK's Avatar
    Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pika View Post
    I'm curious. you broke the bolt while tightening it? how did you get both pieces out?
    Most of the time when you break a bolt whilst tightening the broken pieces will usually come out...now breaking while removing a bolt now that's a different story.
    I am more than a mathematical equation, I am more than a chemical combination...

Riding the XB12Scg QuietStorm.. is on a distinguished road QuietStorm..'s Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Buell lightning XB12Scg
    I'll strongly suggest in just getting the part number and just tough it out and order the part through a dealer !! bolts have different torque specs and materials used.. I wouldn't want to cheap out on an item that holds your brake calipers in place... Don't cheap out on your safety !! sure there would be other bolts you can use and might for sure fit !! but metals have different strengths and safety rating!!
    Riding on god's good humor..

Rumble... V-Twin... Rumble... brap.. brap.. brap... brap...

Bike
    unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyjacK View Post
    Most of the time when you break a bolt whilst tightening the broken pieces will usually come out...now breaking while removing a bolt now that's a different story.
    didn't know that. though i know firsthand about the problems with breaking bolts while removing them.

Bike
    I got it all figured out. I broke the bolt while tightening it.

I just called into 2nd gear and they said bring it in and they can match it up. Did that and they gave it to me for free. Very nice of them..

Bike
    unicycle
    good job 2nd gear! One of the 3/8" long bolts holding the boot shield(??) on my bike came off, and my dealer was happy to charge me 3.50 for it. lol.

Registered User ParkJunkie is on a distinguished road ParkJunkie's Avatar
    Bike
    old: 2002 Yamaha R6, new: '06 gsxr 750
    Quote Originally Posted by pika View Post
    good job 2nd gear! One of the 3/8" long bolts holding the boot shield(??) on my bike came off, and my dealer was happy to charge me 3.50 for it. lol.
    Oh there you go! No Lordco required... so proud of you.
    4 posts, 1 ride, 1 crash. That's a good ratio right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thgear View Post
    If your passenger can feel you shift ..you suck .

Moderator jeckyll is on a distinguished road jeckyll's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    *** Mod Note ***

Moved to Tech, new rider forum is for new riders, not new mechanics (scary that ... )

+ Reply to Thread