BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Kill Switch or Key? What kinda person are you?

8K views 113 replies 65 participants last post by  NinjaChick 
#1 ·
I usually kill switch then key but thats how PRS taught me..

#24 ·
switch then key... but i'm a fan of electronics,..

That way the next day when you key you dont overload your system. :spinsmile

it drives my old man nutts... but its also my way of knowing nothings a miss with the overall system... if something goes wrong during power down.. we all know these bikes are riding computers now.. specially the 09+ R1... if something does go... you'll get a code right away..

ideal when touring so you dont wake up @ 5am to find your damn bike wont start.. takes two secs.. safety check is worth it :cool

:roflmao:jerkoff

#25 ·
I was told the ignition system is more robust than the kill switch, and less likely to fail. Overuse of the kill switch could wear it out quicker, and leave you stranded. That's how the BC safety council taught us years ago. Dunno how true it is as I've never had electronics (except for a key fob) wear out from overuse.

#51 ·
This. There have been many claims of failing kill switches on BMWs because owners used them on every start up and shutdown.

Secondly, leaving the ignition on without the motor running (as in when shutting down with the kill switch) will drain the battery because the headlights and fuel pumps are still on. This isn't usually a problem, but on older bikes with weaker alternators and a not so perfect battery it could be problematic.

Finally.... it's called a kill switch. But on every other machine I've ever operated, the kill switch could be attached to a tether so that when the rider needs to exit or gets thrown off the engine automatically shuts down. I mean... doesn't this make sense on a bike?

#28 ·
I used to use kill switch then key. Then I bought a Triumph.* I was then taught that the Triumph FI system doesn't write out adjustments in mapping to NVRAM until the ignition is turned off. If you use the kill switch, these mapping adjustments aren't saved.

I've never been able to confirm this statement, but it made enough logical sense for me to change my habits. I'm going to turn the key off to take it out anyways, why not use it to turn off the engine?

* punch line here would be "And the Lucas electrical system shuts itself off automatically."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.