back problems

Thread: back problems

back problems

anyone know any signs of back problems starting up?

my lower back is like really sore (its never been this sore b4) and its scaring me... its not really hurting but it feels real annoying and when i push in it kinda hurts a little bit... its just a continuos annoying sorta feeling

try a chiropractor
    they work wonders

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    CBR600 F4
    It could be the muscles and tendons in your legs are too short.

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Naked SV
    It could be from sitting for long periods of time, I get that a lot when I study for hours on end without taking breaks. Other than that, if you did not do anything to cause a problem (accident, big fall, etc) I would think it is a muscular thing and nothing you need to worry about in terms of long term discomfort.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

North Vancouver
    98 Suzuki TLS
    I've got the same predicament. When I had my 89 Gixxer, the problem was bad enough so that I would have to take alot of extra breaks at work because I couldn't sit without pain in my lower back.

I got my zx-6e with a really soft suspension and upright seating position and the problem disapeared. After getting this TLS with a more aggressive seating position, the lower backpains came back early this season.

I don't have an answer to this problem but doing situps and back raises has been at least a psychological help. I've been told that strengthening your back and abs takes pressure off your spine and onto the newly strengthened muscles but I don't have much proof to quantify this theory.

I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar

signs: Pain, discomfort, decrease mobility in affected area.

For sitting, a good chair should have supportive cushioning. The pan of the chair should be slightly less than the butt to back of knee length.

The hieght of the chair should be so you can have your feet flat on the floor (or a foot rest). this will prevent pressure on the back of your knees - bad for circulation. a foot rest could be a box.

The back rest should allow you to have you back straight, and inclined at about 110 degrees. This allow the back rest to bear the weight of you upper body, rather than cause compression in your lower spine.

Butt should be at the back of the chair as well (where the back rest and seat would meet). This will reduce slouching and causing strain on your lower back.

arm rest should be used to support the weight of your arms, this reduces the load on your back.

eyes should ideally be level, so monitor hieght (if applicable) should be set so the top edge of your screen is at the same height of you eyes.

...and we all know this is applicable because of the endless hours you all spend reading BCSB

I like my
    k7 gsxr 600
    Wow, great advice.

That's a crazy diagram!

On the subject of strengthening your back:

I used to have a pretty weak lower back and also experience discomfort when sitting or riding. I've since then managed to strengthen my lower back and abdomenal region and haven't had any back problems since. Basically, I went to the gym and carefully trained my lower back to be stronger. It's not one of those muscles where you can push really hard and you could easily damage it more if you're not careful with it.

Like it was said before, a strong abdominal and lower back helps support your whole upper body and takes strain off other parts.

Here's a couple of low impact excercises that you can try at home.

Last edited by Dalton; 04-12-2003 at 01:52 PM.
    BCSB- Moderator

Team No Team Array
    PM me if you have questions. I treat people will varying severities of low back pain daily. It could be any number of problems:
    - Stiff facet / intervertebral (spinal) joints,
    - Weak core muscles (not abs / obliques / low back extensors) (deeper ones which need strengthening: Transversus abdominus, multifidus, pubococcygeus, ischiococcygeus
    - Disc problems
    - Nerves being pinched or pressed on
    - Postural issues
    - Muscle length imbalance issues between abs / low back / hip / pelvis / thigh
    - Lower extremity alignment - One foot flatter, one foot longer, one hip tighter, one knee looser, etc.

Can be any number of reasons....

Just doing abs / back extensions can actually exacerbate the problem if done incorrectly...

If you interested, do a search on the web for combos of:
    Low back pain
    Transversus abdominus
    Lumbar stabilization
    Pelvic floor

:) you'll live longer Array rockshoxbiker's Avatar
    low profile: Cool another Kinesiologist!

here's a page with some back car info as well: