Is my mechanic trying to screw me?!!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my mechanic trying to screw me?!!

Bike
    2003 SV650s/2012 Monster 796

Is my mechanic trying to screw me?!!

Hey guys, new member here seeking for some insight.

I have a 2003 SV650S, 44,000 kilometres on there. It's been kept and maintained pretty well. I took it to Modern Motorcycling recently to do the general check up, give it a clean bill of health as well as put in lowering links to lower it a inch and a half so my girlfriend can fit on there comfortably too.

When I take it back from Modern, the guy working there said he loved my bike and asked me to consider selling them my bike. I told them I liked my bike too much to sell right now. Anyways, they gave my bike a clean bill of health and I'm on my way.

After I rode it home, it was in my garage for a week before I took it out again. After 30 minutes of city riding, my gearbox jams and I'm stuck in 3rd. Tried power shifting, really pushing the lever around... but nothing. I couldn't get it to change gears. I limped it back to Modern Motorcycling and now they tell me that I broke the gearbox/tranny somehow, it'll cost SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix, and I should consider selling them the bike.

Now, that seemed awfully fishy to me...

Any insight would be most appreciated about what might have happened to my bike, how much it should cost to fix, or if this bike shop is just trying to screw me and low ball me to hell.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    '15 BMW F800GSA
    This is not going to end well
    "Experience alone is not the great teacher; Experience has to be multiplied by intelligence to yield sustained progress." Phil Schilling

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    If your transmission is pooched, you're better off getting a complete motor and doing a swap. You'd need to fab (or borrow) the special sockets for the motor mounts, but it's doable if you have the space to work in.

I'd seek a second opinion first. Good luck.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    They let the air out of your gearbox shift inductors take it to 5th gear ask Bill to explain it
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    If your transmission is pooched, you're better off getting a complete motor and doing a swap. You'd need to fab (or borrow) the special sockets for the motor mounts, but it's doable if you have the space to work in.

I'd seek a second opinion first. Good luck.
    I am mechanically declined.... should I just ask the mechanic shop to do this for me? It shouldn't cost $2000 would it?

It seems stupid that I should pay them $95 to "inspect all moving parts" then within 30 mins of riding it it suffers a $2000 problem and they still offer to buy it from me... at a giant discount.

Bike
    They are basically giving me two options, sell it to them for $500, fix it for several thousand, for $35 to truck it home for me. I freaking rode it over there though, isn't it reasonable to expect that I can ride it home after they worked on it? They told me they took out the oil and there were chunks in it. Does this signify anything important? Would it be dangerous to get them to put it back in there so at least I can ride 10 minutes home on it?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    sv
    I'm no mechanic but I think the only thing they could really do is mess with your shift linkage? Have a look at it, maybe they "adjusted it" for you.

My Twitter: SH1FTG34R Array Sykk_KiLL's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Yamaha R6
    Lawyer it up. Search Modern on here. You'll soon understand.
    Yamaha R6
    SHIFTGEAR

Bike
    Seems like a lot of people are unhappy with the mechanics at modern. I'll pay the $35 and get it home. Sell it privately, try and fix it myself, sell it to scrap yard or hell throw it in the fraser river. If people hate modern mechanics that much, I might have to turn into a hater myself.

Registered User Array stinkyfast's Avatar
    Bike
    CT70
    Modern damaged the bike I have now. The previous owner took it there and they damaged the cylinder head and siliconed the cover to hide it. Don't give Modern another penny. I'll pick up your bike for you if it can be done ASAP. I have a soccer match to watch. Seriously, if you promise to never go there again I will give you a hand. PM me. Cheers, S. Assuming you are in Van

Bike
    2006 Honda 919 - Hornet
    MM offering to purchase it does sound fishy to me.
    "Aw fuck what the hell have I done!!!! Fuck me that's going to be hell hard to keep on top of wtf is going on!!!"

Zulu Array
    Bike
    No bike yet waiting for the next one.....
    Yes to your question.......Never deal with them again, specially that fat duck

Bike
    The Mighty One
    They aren't the easiest motors to find but if you're mechanically inclined, it's not hard to swap it yourself. I would get the bike back and make a weekend project of it. Call the usual people Chop Shop and Supersport and see if they have one in stock. It would be reasonably safe to ride it home with some oil in it but no guarantees of course.

Bike
    Alright, I just came back from the shop with my bike. Once I come in, they're all like "yeah... your bike is toast, gotta rip everything out to get to the problem. Parts are cheap but it'll take a huge amount of time to fix. The shop's not even going to have time. Your bike's worth around $500 right now." I had three or four guys in the shop tell me that. When the guy comes to get my bike with me, he's like "yeah, your bike is worth less than what it costs to repair right now... but i can take it off your hands... how much were you thinking?"
    Me: "I'd want at least a thousand"
    him: "............... okay I can work with that, gimme your number."

What the fuck.

Stinkyfast ended up picking up the bike with me. Genuinely one of the nicest guys I've met.

Well my bike is back in my garage now... It's drained of oil and coolant. Although they told me the oil was full of crap, they didn't have it to show me. Time to figure out some way to fix'er up.

Bike
    HiyaBubba
    take the plugs out. see if the engine will move by turning the back wheel.(assuming it's still stuck in gear).
    if it does, it's the transmission. I'm thinking a broken fork.....