Furnace installer needed, any suggestions

Thread: Furnace installer needed, any suggestions

Registered User Array stinkyfast's Avatar
    Bike
    CT70

Furnace installer needed, any suggestions

My current furnace (1964 original) is running but I picked up a newer 80% efficient one. I know the 80's are no longer allowed to be sold as of Jan 2010. But my house is not a great candidate for high efficiency (too many places air is getting in). Long story short I have a great 80% I need installed, please send me useful contacts if you have any. Cheers, S.

Bike
    2009 buell xb12Ss
    check your pm

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    Just pull a home owners permit and do it yourself.It's dead easy.

must have more bacon Array gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    a few pretties
    easy ? , how is he going to make the adapter from the new furnace to old plenum , duct tape ? . if he has never made a gas or vent connection before , do u think now is a good time to practise , will there be kids in the house when he does ? . and then there is the electrical connection

good job for someone who is exceptionally handy , nightmare , health and legal liability for the do it yourself'r

ps you will be dead easy if u screw it up
    listen to me or i will eat you're bacon

wmrc #9

Registered User Array stinkyfast's Avatar
    Bike
    CT70
    Thanks for the suggestions and PM. The plenum is the obstacle for me, thus the request for someone to come in and instal it. I may pull the old, rough in the new and have someone come and finish. Some don't like to walk into a job that has been started so I want to speak with someone and see what works with them. I installed my hot water (gas) heater a few years bad, I'm still alive. Thanks for the heads up.

Bike
    2003 fz-1
    I'm paying attention as I got gifted a lennox condensing high efficiency and plan to do the same thing next month, a gas contractor who used to work for me told me to pull the permit myself and he would help but the adapter for the warm air return is what will have to be fabricated by a sheet metal shop.
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    Quote Originally Posted by gxr jo View Post
    easy ? , how is he going to make the adapter from the new furnace to old plenum , duct tape ? . if he has never made a gas or vent connection before , do u think now is a good time to practise , will there be kids in the house when he does ? . and then there is the electrical connection

good job for someone who is exceptionally handy , nightmare , health and legal liability for the do it yourself'r

ps you will be dead easy if u screw it up
    Note i did say take out a permit? It will be inspected.I asked my insurance company about liability and all they cared about was that i supplied them with a copy of the permit and final inspection report from the BC Safety Authority.

He also said it is a 80% efficient furnace that he is installing.So it is easy swap.He can use the existing B vent,as for the plenum? Any decent sheet metal shop can make up a plenum.
    I used lower mainland sheet metal in Surrey for all of mine and they were great.All he wanted was the old plenum and a card board pattern of the new furnace.I also took pictures of the new furnace in place holding my measuring tape on the various sides of the duct work so he had a visual of what i wanted.
    Ecco in Langley or Burnaby can supply any "B" and "A" vent fittings needed.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by FZrrr View Post
    I'm paying attention as I got gifted a lennox condensing high efficiency and plan to do the same thing next month, a gas contractor who used to work for me told me to pull the permit myself and he would help but the adapter for the warm air return is what will have to be fabricated by a sheet metal shop.
    difference is you most likely had some experience with things like that throughout your career
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL