sv650s + Rain = sv325?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sv650s + Rain = sv325?

Registered User Infuria is on a distinguished road Infuria's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Ninja 300

sv650s + Rain = sv325?

Backstory:

I'm mechanically retarded, but my my mechanic is not available for a while (damn race weekends!). I am willing to try things and i have the service manual for my bike.

About 2000Km ago did some maintenance when i bought the bike (new iridium plugs, oil, filter, brake fluid) Did my road test last week and it was pouring rain. Half way through my road test my bike dropped (on occasion) cylinder #1. Running really rough, no power, exhaust smells of gasoline

Cylinder#1 would fire back up if I pushed the bike hard (i had to get up some hills).

up to today:

I found it is a known issue with water getting into the spark plug well and causing shorts.

- I have cleaned the drain hole they plugged in (ran 100+ psi of air through it)
    - coated the spark plug boot (the connection) and the spark plug itself in dielectric grease
    - Spark plug boot looks ok

Current status:

- Starts up (takes a bit of coaxing with choke and throttle)
    - after choke is removed and throttle is removed it runs fine on both cylinders (exhaust smells normal, idle is smooth, cylinder #1 exhaust pipe is hot) for about 45 seconds, then it starts burping chugging, rough idle, gassy exhaust and stalls unless throttle is held a bit open.

Some thoughts that I have and want a 2nd opinion on:

- After work i was going to take it for a little rip around the neighbourhood to see if it just needs to be revved up

- Pull the plug to see the condition / clean it up with a wire brush?

- My mechanic buddy said to check the connection on the coil

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Mechannibalism is on a distinguished road Mechannibalism's Avatar
    Bike
    '87 GPZ 400 '87 GSXR 400
    The boot may still be wet or there is "tracking" down the side of the plug. Take the plug out and clean off the insulator use a green scrubbie (don't use anything metal) clean the boot with alcohol.
    You're just a crackpot till you hit the jackpot - Wernher von Braun

Bike
    2014 Ninja 300
    Thanks, will give it a shot!

Don't be stupid. Sikorsky is on a distinguished road Sikorsky's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM
    I used to have a GS400E that did the same thing rain or shine! Good luck. Don't punch the tank. It doesn't fix the problem.
    I love to bully the bullies! ;)

More throttle less brake jfviffer is on a distinguished road jfviffer's Avatar
    Bike
    05 vfr(deer Bait), crumphet, 99SV track
    I bet you a beer it the spark plug boot, pull it off and buy a new oem one 26$. there is a small resistor inside the boot its probably shot. common on sv especially front cylinder

Registered User kivyee is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    05 Sv650s
    Also pull your plug and clean it/change it. If it's been misfiring high chance is it will be coated. I'd just as soon throw a new plug in there for the cost...

Bike
    2014 Ninja 300
    Thanks for the help everyone, I pulled the boot and sprayed 80psi of air through it and BAM! IT HAZ LIFE!!!!!! now its going to rain for the next 7 days...sigh...

+ Reply to Thread