I'm mechanically retarded, but my my mechanic is not available for a while (damn race weekends!). I am willing to try things and i have the service manual for my bike.
About 2000Km ago did some maintenance when i bought the bike (new iridium plugs, oil, filter, brake fluid) Did my road test last week and it was pouring rain. Half way through my road test my bike dropped (on occasion) cylinder #1. Running really rough, no power, exhaust smells of gasoline
Cylinder#1 would fire back up if I pushed the bike hard (i had to get up some hills).
up to today:
I found it is a known issue with water getting into the spark plug well and causing shorts.
- I have cleaned the drain hole they plugged in (ran 100+ psi of air through it)
- coated the spark plug boot (the connection) and the spark plug itself in dielectric grease
- Spark plug boot looks ok
- Starts up (takes a bit of coaxing with choke and throttle)
- after choke is removed and throttle is removed it runs fine on both cylinders (exhaust smells normal, idle is smooth, cylinder #1 exhaust pipe is hot) for about 45 seconds, then it starts burping chugging, rough idle, gassy exhaust and stalls unless throttle is held a bit open.
Some thoughts that I have and want a 2nd opinion on:
- After work i was going to take it for a little rip around the neighbourhood to see if it just needs to be revved up
- Pull the plug to see the condition / clean it up with a wire brush?
- My mechanic buddy said to check the connection on the coil