Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centrestand

Bike
    None yet

Centrestand

This is funny in a sad kind of way...

NOOB vs. bike part II

Full body workout and no oiled chain...

Because I am too weak to put bike on centrestand!!

Foot on centrestand, bike upright, pull back, not up....

Nope. Too weak! Pretty sure I'm using the right technique.

Tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    None yet
    In other news, after filling it with the acid and charging it with c-tek, I finally got a chance to pop in my new battery tonight, and... it runs well! So one success, one fail!

Bike
    None yet
    Ah, I wasn't grabbing under the back of the bike like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwXZyJSPkx4

Bike
    Put your foot on the center stand, the other foot off the ground and grab your bike and lift it from the side.
    Do not pull back, pull up,
    It will go
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    I have a 240kg bike. Lifting up won't do much.

I not only pull up, but I also stand with all my weight on the centre stand. Works every time (after I learnt how to do it).

Use your weight, combined with a little bit of a push/pull in the right direction, and she'll be good

good luck!
    i'm rocking to my own beat

Bike
    None yet
    Yeah I use all my weight on the centre stand. My bike is maybe 310 lbs. I'm about 120.. is that enough? Will try again tomorrow and pull up instead of back, plus use hand under back seat.

Bike
    750 GSF Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooo! View Post
    Yeah I use all my weight on the centre stand. My bike is maybe 310 lbs. I'm about 120.. is that enough? Will try again tomorrow and pull up instead of back, plus use hand under back seat.
    Yup, should be fine.

It's physics - pushing down with your weight on the centrestand + pushing/pulling it in the direction you want it = gets on centrestand
    i'm rocking to my own beat

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    In other news, after filling it with the acid and charging it with c-tek, I finally got a chance to pop in my new battery tonight, and... it runs well! So one success, one fail!
    If you let the freshly acid-filled battery stand for more than half an hour (probably an hour or more is better), and let the C-Tek charge/float for about two days, the battery should be as good as many new batteries out there. So, it is mostly there. However, my experience has shown me that the C-Tek doesn't pre-charged a new battery optimally. It is still very possible that your new battery will not fully charged but can be mostly charged. Usually, it takes a good bench-top charger to do it, or hook up the C-Tek to the battery for some months. So you are probably mostly fine. If you don't let the bike sit, or you hook up a smart charger to it while the bike sits, then you are fine too.

There is one simple test you can do. First thing in the morning before the bike is started for the first time, measure the open-circuit battery voltage. It should be a minimum of 12.7 volts. If it is 12.7 V or less, then it is probably a good idea to do something about it. If it is 12.8 volts, then the new battery was prepared fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by hols View Post
    Yup, should be fine.

It's physics - pushing down with your weight on the centrestand + pushing/pulling it in the direction you want it = gets on centrestand
    ^^^
    What she said. Also, if the suspension has been lowered, much more force may be required since the leverage ratio will be lessen.
    Last edited by TechyIam; 07-06-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    This is funny in a sad kind of way...

NOOB vs. bike part II

Full body workout and no oiled chain...

Because I am too weak to put bike on centrestand!!

Foot on centrestand, bike upright, pull back, not up....

Nope. Too weak! Pretty sure I'm using the right technique.

Tips?
    There are a few common mistakes that hinder center stand use.
    Try this...
    If you're not comfortable, have someone spot the other side so you can give it your all.
    Right foot firmly planted on the pedal of the centerstand, comfortable to put all your weigth on it.
    You need to lean over the bike a bit, and get nice and close (knee should almost touch the bike)
    You don't lift back, and really not even up. As you put all your weight on the stand, the bike tends to want to veer towards you.
    You lift up on the grab rail to counter that, and help keep the bike stable. And a little lift helps the task, but your full weight on the pedal is the key.

If you're still stuck, I'll be teaching at Pacific Riding School all Sunday, and can give a quick demo to anyone in the afternoon.
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPag...FD&Member=2483
    http://daytonaparty.shawwebspace.ca/
    DO IT!

Bike
    2006 Honda 919 - Hornet
    I'm sure there are BCSB members riding close by constantly. Problem is finding one that won't turn out to be a stalker. Anyway, post your general whereabouts and I'm sure you'll receive an offer of assistance.
    "Aw fuck what the hell have I done!!!! Fuck me that's going to be hell hard to keep on top of wtf is going on!!!"

Bike
    IRSU magnet
    If you're ever in an area where there is oil on the ground (as there often is in most parking spots) you've got to make sure you don't have any oil on the tread of your boot when you are pushing down on the centrestand. You can imagine what happens if your foot slips off the centrestand while you are pulling up on the bike
    No trees were harmed to display the above message ..... however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Bike
    None yet
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    If you're ever in an area where there is oil on the ground (as there often is in most parking spots) you've got to make sure you don't have any oil on the tread of your boot when you are pushing down on the centrestand. You can imagine what happens if your foot slips off the centrestand while you are pulling up on the bike
    Haha I imagine this has happened to u? Thx for pro tip.

Bike
    None yet
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSmechanic View Post
    There are a few common mistakes that hinder center stand use.
    Try this...
    If you're not comfortable, have someone spot the other side so you can give it your all.
    Right foot firmly planted on the pedal of the centerstand, comfortable to put all your weigth on it.
    You need to lean over the bike a bit, and get nice and close (knee should almost touch the bike)
    You don't lift back, and really not even up. As you put all your weight on the stand, the bike tends to want to veer towards you.
    You lift up on the grab rail to counter that, and help keep the bike stable. And a little lift helps the task, but your full weight on the pedal is the key.

If you're still stuck, I'll be teaching at Pacific Riding School all Sunday, and can give a quick demo to anyone in the afternoon.
    Thank you! Nice of you to offer. I do want to take the PRS bike fixing course sometime! I think I got it figured out. Had a few ppl looking at it today, including Fzzzr. Apparently it has been lowered, making it harder for me to lift up as I lack the upper body strength. Only option I guess would be to raise the bike again (which apparently would get me better performance?!)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR125R, Bandit 1250S
    An alternative to using the center stand for lifting the rear wheel for drive chain lubrication purpose is to use a short piece (about a foot long) of 2x4 to prop up the rear axle on the right side. And it doesn't take much strength for a Ninja 250. You'll be surprised how little force it actually takes.

Bike
    2003 R6
    Huh, I'd be curious to see this myself actually. The only bike I ever had issues putting on the c stand was the cast iron boat anchor a certain other girl on here used to own. And even that bike just had a trick to it.
    I can't imagine the 250 is any heavier than the 500, and I had that down to a science, nay, an art, if I may be so braggy. I'd seriously like to try giving you a hand with this sometime. PM me if you'd like.

Also.... 2x4???? Is this.... legit? How many cars are on your front lawn, TechyIam?